G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

I bought used with 2 bald(ish) tires, 2 new tires. New tires go in front or back?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by InfinitJazz
Actually, it's worse when you have the bald tires in the rear. If you have the bald tires in front, the weight from the vehicle will shift to the front providing more grip to the front tires and lightening up the load on the rear tires, you may or may not be able to swerve out far enough to avoid it, but at least your car will be easier to control. If you slam on the brakes with the good tires up front, you may slide less in the front but now you just compounded the issue because your rear tires have no tread. The rear will start coming around as you lighten up the load on the rear bald tires which had limited grip to begin with. Car goes sideways and you will have much more trouble trying to recover from than vs just understeering. Now you have to deal with oversteer and possible spinning out. Good tires should always go in the rear PERIOD. To add to this, if you approach a curve, no matter how mild, if you have the bad tires in back, the rear will come around much more easily since the rear of the car is lighter to begin with. I have real life experiences on the track and off. Back when I thought it was a good idea to put the worn tires in the rear, I did a complete 360 when I hit a patch of standing water without me even having to step on the brakes. This would not have happened if I had the good tires in the back since bald tires with weight on them in the front are less prone to hydroplaning then being on the lighter rear of the car.
I concur lol it seems you have had much more experience driving than my 3 years lol

Old 05-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by broke_as_ajoke
I have 24 years of driving experience. I have track time.. in a 1970 olds cutlass.. with a 350 rocket, 9/16 gear ratio in the rear (that is positive traction), true dual exhaust, and high rise intake with a 2 barrel carb.

Bro i can go on.. Yes, I have spent ever car I have had around due to aggressive driving. So when i know to put good tires on the front i have good reason..

Yes, I read two of the links you proved.. Thanks.
Ok, nearly the same amount of time of driving experience as me. So answer me this, do you think a regular driver who hasn't gone to the track, or received any kind of performance driving instruction, would be able to just as easily recover from a car fishtailing from the rear as they would from a car that is understeering?

Old 05-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Also, since the op is new to rwd, it's much easier to get into trouble on a torquey car such as ours with bad tires in the back if you hit the gas too hard on a turn. I've seen it happen often with several friends who drove anything from a Z28 Camaro to a relatively low power s13 240SX.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
The better tire always goes in the rear! If the rear starts to break loose (less tread on the rear) your going to have oversteer, which is a lot harder to control while hydroplaning.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
newer in rear as jazz said its much easier to control understeer than oversteer for ppl new to rwd.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
In my 3 cent.. Its hard for anyone to control a car that is "fish tailing", because the driver has to react to the direction to car is sliding. Over-steering and under-steering is easier for anyone to get control back a lot faster.. I agree with you on that.

I think the real question comes down to this.. if the car in front stops all of a sudden. What does the person do to avoid hitting the car while keeping control of the car (depending on the conditions)? Look in the direction that he is going to swerve then to avoid the car in this case the driver needs better control of the car which would be the better traction on the front tires (and try not to jam the brakes.. (old school driving cuz their were no ABS back then)). I also understand what you are saying about the back end getting loose. To be honest with ya.. also depends on the driver.. Lets say if he just started driving 10 years.. he needs the better tires on the front, cuz he prolly will just stop instead of swerve.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Yes, I have seen cars get loose while going around a curve.. in that case yes new tires should go on the back.. Also, if he puts the new tires on the rear he will get better traction while taking corners and such, but if he is just trying to maintain control while stop he needs them on the front.. with bald tires on the front he wont have much control

Old 05-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Haha, I guess in the end, it's just best to have tires with good tread all around. Working at a tire place, it was one of the things people seem to neglect the most, the other being the brakes.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Yea.. if his brakes suck.. tires wont HELP at all.. he will have to do a "flintstones" and kick a hole threw the floor to stop

Old 05-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts
^+1
i did an engine swap in an old civic once, i swapped the oem one for the flintstones one, but it was kinda slow

Old 05-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
If you want the safest most scientific analyzed method, put the good tires in the rear to mitigate fishtailing.

Now, for a different way of looking it...personal/financial preference. Tires in the front will wear slower, so arrange the tires to suit how you wanna replace them.

If you're trying to put off buying new tires for a longer time starting today, then still put the good tires in the rear, the balder tires will last longer in the front and eventually you'll be ready for 4 new tires at the same time. Or you can put the balder tires in the rear have some fun and buy 2 new rear tires and have 4 good tires sooner.

For me, the personal/financial preference is more important than what I've read to be the safest. I mean, its not like I'm spinning wildly out of control every time it rains when there's more wear on the rear tires. I feel like you're pretty much screwed either way when it comes to an emergency situation and you have bald tires, front or rear, even if scientifically you want grip in the rear.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
**** it I'm buying new tires.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:52 PM
lol

Old 05-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprockethead
**** it I'm buying new tires.
Well, you know what you gotta do with your current ones then....burn them up as fast as you can.....real proper like.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I always have the better tires on the front, but I can drive and enjoy some oversteer. My main reason is that I'd rather rather have a rear tire blow out than a front. I agree though that for most the rears should have the better rubber, but don't take that to mean you can run trash up front.

Last edited by HwyDrftr; 05-27-2011 at 09:04 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I bought used with 2 bald(ish) tires, 2 new tires. New tires go in front or back?