G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Wheel spin in 2nd and 3rd Gear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wheel spin in 2nd and 3rd Gear

Ok, I’ve had my 2008 G35xS for a week now and have noticed some things that I am not sure are normal.
This car has significantly more power than my 04 ‘x’ so maybe that is what I am experiencing.

Ok, when going WOT and shifting into 2nd and sometimes 3rd, at the shift the car starts to pull super hard and just throws you back in the seat. Usually I would not complain about this surge of power, but there have been times when shifting, that the rear wheels spin or slip. The problem occurs when I forget to disengage the VDC and the car senses slippage, the AWD kicks in and the throttle backs way off right at the moment the car is pulling like crazy, so you get shot forward because of the slowdown.
Has anyone else experienced this? Is that extra pull normal at the moment of shifting?

PS. The car is in regular ‘D’ mode when this occurs.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts
this is interesting, my 2007 G35x does not seem to have this much power. it seems to be in AWD the entire time

might be your tires, i know i dont have an S but even when mine pulls HELLA hard on those shifts, it never breaks the tires loose

Old 06-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Received 575 Likes on 502 Posts
I don't have an X but my car doesn't even do that. Do you have a lead foot?

Old 06-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by wsolo08
this is interesting, my 2007 G35x does not seem to have this much power. it seems to be in AWD the entire time

might be your tires, i know i dont have an S but even when mine pulls HELLA hard on those shifts, it never breaks the tires loose
So here are the tires I am running: 245/45R18
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/productdetails/Home/Turanza_with_Serenity_Technology#

They are brand freaking new and are what the dealer put on the car.

Originally Posted by bluedevils95
I don't have an X but my car doesn't even do that. Do you have a lead foot?
I have been driving it like I stole it.

I have 6 months left on the manufactures bumper to bumper warranty(I do have 5 year ext warranty too), and part of me thinks if something is going to break, it might as well be now.

I don't really notice this when the VDC is turned off.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
This happens all the time when you go WOT especially when shifting yourself, just turn off the VDC, the system is meant to cut your throttle since it detects slippage.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Mine does it too. I usually don't floor it in 1st to avoid this. The VDC is pretty aggressive, but has saved my butt a few times when the back end started to get away from me.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:06 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
lol sounds like a fantastic problem to have

The following users liked this post:
GXXXV X (06-30-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
If you're breaking the rears loose in second and third I expect to see a "my clutch detonated and killed three stray cats 150 feet away" thread from you very shortly.

Try not dumping the clutch in every gear and shifting like a normal person and see what happens.

GXXXV X (06-30-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob.On.Whidbey
If you're breaking the rears loose in second and third I expect to see a "my clutch detonated and killed three stray cats 150 feet away" thread from you very shortly.

Try not dumping the clutch in every gear and shifting like a normal person and see what happens.
He's got a X

Old 06-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

40 in 2nd (with 5AT) going WOT will cause this

GXXXV X (06-30-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 05:16 PM
This happens all the time when you go WOT especially when shifting yourself, just turn off the VDC, the system is meant to cut your throttle since it detects slippage.
I knew the throttle response was a result of the slippage, I just wanted to be sure that the slippage was "normal". Glad to know you've seen it too.

Mine does it too. I usually don't floor it in 1st to avoid this. The VDC is pretty aggressive, but has saved my butt a few times when the back end started to get away from me.
Yeah, I love the VDC (and SNOW mode) in the winter. It has saved me too driving up some canyons to go skiing.

lol sounds like a fantastic problem to have.
I for sure didn't have this problem with my 04X

lol, if my "clutch" explodes, then I would have a bigger problem then some dead cats. Someone would have switched my car on me.

Yeah, vqsmile is right; I'm sportin a 5AT. I'm not even using the paddles or tiptronic when the wheels a breaking loose.

40 in 2nd (with 5AT) going WOT will cause this
Well, I am glad that I am not the only one that has experienced this. I should prolly not drive it so hard(and I don't most of the time), but it is so much fun to push this car.

Thanks again for everyone's comments!
People with a highly modded X with more power have to have this problem all the time I'm guessing.

GXXXV X (06-30-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile
He's got a X
Missed that, but I was really just attempting (and failing) to be a smart ****. I thought it was time for the daily dead cat joke and that's all I could muster.

My mistake. I'll go back and do a ninja edit on all the posts..

Old 06-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Missed that, but I was really just attempting (and failing) to be a smart ****. I thought it was time for the daily dead cat joke and that's all I could muster.

My mistake. I'll go back and do a ninja edit on all the posts..
I have to admit, the "cat murdering clutch" thread title made me laugh. I am still giggling about it actually. Smart **** or not, it was funny.

Ah, the perks of being staff and their ninja edits. Mistake, what mistake?

GXXXV X (06-30-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 08:19 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
A dead cat, especially one killed by an exploding clutch, is a good cat.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I remember the first time this happened when I took a Porsche around a double left-turn lane from a stop in my 07X. Scared the BeJeebus outta me. I'm thinking sways and some nice sticky summer tires will help. Probably the right summer tires will help you even in a straight line.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel spin in 2nd and 3rd Gear