G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

I love this stuff ( plasti-dip project 1) Pics inside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 09:18 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Fendi35
Well my next thing is do the tail lights and as far as the headlights living in upstate new york cops here are jerks so prob wont do the headlights.

thx for the comments
why would they give you a hard time for blacking out the housing? not a vynil or anything just the chrome to black lol

Old 07-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
I think he's talking about using it on the outside.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, tried this Thursday eve and it didn't turn out good at all. I followed the step by step process in one of these DIY threads. I painted the "infiniti," "G35x" and the chrome lip on the trunk. The lettering appears as if little micro-hairs have sprouted on the top of each letter. Very weird. Maybe a chemical reaction? Or maybe because it was 95* in the garage?

On the chrome lip, a piece of FOD fell in the wet paint. I pulled it off and left a hole. Tried to evenly cover it back up, but it left a very noticeable uneven appearance.

Bottom line, I'll be removing it all and starting over. Anyone have any issues like this?

Old 08-06-2011, 03:35 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
just dont be stingy! Apply atleast 4 layers with ~15min break between each coat and it will make the final product much better looking and taking it off will be super easy from the painted panels while keeping it on the emblems

Old 08-06-2011, 03:41 AM
Kool- thanks. That might be part of my issue. I didn't wait long enough between coats. I waited barely 2-4 minutes between ea coat, and then waited 15 min before I started peeling.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts
Oh my no definitely wait longer between coats and also if you wait longer before peeling it will be easier to peel.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ericks_G
looks good mang! are you blacking out your headlights?

ive had a can of platidip and a clearcoat for about a month but havent done my grill yet it looks funny to me withouth having the headlights done.
thats more reason to do it! do the grill then look at ur car then do ur headlights!

Old 08-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by drivethefive
plasti dip is an amazing product,and yes if you don't like it, peel away in seconds! Too bad it's a matte finish, even when you add coats of clear. If I could find a way to get plasti dip to produce a black gloss finish I would go crazy with that s**t!
u could use the PD as a primer for a gloss black paint and it'll still peel!

check this out

https://g35driver.com/forums/media-s...lasti-dip.html

Old 08-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Did you not tape around the letters and emblem? It looks like you just blocked off a square area and painted the whole thing.. Ive been wanting to plasti dip the rear emblem and letters but it seems too tedious to take around the letters. How did you do it?

Old 08-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
looks clean from the pics. prep time is everything for sure. I wait usually around 15 min. between coats as well. I just plastidipped my mufflers to match my tips I had powdercoated. 2 coats was all I did. Works great, no chipping guaranteed. My grille is holding up like a champ. I removed and trashed my emblems. So when I wanted black emblems I had to buy new ones. Which makes it easy to paint and replace. My MT. FUJI is on its way. 35 bucks for the G35X and 10 on ebay for the mt fuji.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:42 PM
I'm going to do all of this to my black sport. I'm definitely going to plastidip my grill,emblems, and chrome around my windows. Only problem being, I'm not too sure of how to take the trim off the windows. I hope it would go back right after taking them off. Or maybe I could leave them on and treat them like the emblems.
Ive painted headlights before, hopefully these are easier because it was an all day deal. My tail lights will be VHT'd. Anyways, your car looks good, as well as the broad taking pics in the reflection on the first page.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:22 PM
what brand are you using

Old 08-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by fkhan
Did you not tape around the letters and emblem? It looks like you just blocked off a square area and painted the whole thing.. Ive been wanting to plasti dip the rear emblem and letters but it seems too tedious to take around the letters. How did you do it?
lmao no you just tape off like he did and since its rubber it will just peel right off where you dont want it to be...in other words you dont have to tape around each individual letter lol

Originally Posted by Tennessee
I'm going to do all of this to my black sport. I'm definitely going to plastidip my grill,emblems, and chrome around my windows. Only problem being, I'm not too sure of how to take the trim off the windows. I hope it would go back right after taking them off. Or maybe I could leave them on and treat them like the emblems.
Ive painted headlights before, hopefully these are easier because it was an all day deal. My tail lights will be VHT'd. Anyways, your car looks good, as well as the broad taking pics in the reflection on the first page.
you dont really have to take the window trim off if youre just gonna plasti dip it...only if you are going to vinyl wrap it or powdercoat it...a lot of people have reportedly accidentaly bent the trim when taking it off and its hard to get i guess

Originally Posted by stl.rbizy
what brand are you using
the only brand that makes plastidip is called Performix...home depot and lowes carry it as well as you can order the clear version online

Old 08-08-2011, 12:30 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
If you are going for GLOSS black I would vinyl wrap the windows. It cost a little more and takes a little longer but matches better, especially if you have tint. If you want matte black then plastidip straight out of the can is for you!!! A few layers of clear coat should get you gloss black though.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:47 AM
Thanks guys! I will leave the window trim where it is and dip them things with them on the car.