G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Anyone Running Michelin Pilot Super Sports on G35xS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone Running Michelin Pilot Super Sports on G35xS?

I am getting ready to pull the crappy Dunlops OEM tires off my 08 xS and replace. I have winter rims/tires so all-season is not mandatory. Wondering if any X drivers are using them on the OEM 18" 225-50-18 size. I know G35S drivers like them but your setup is different with the staggered size. My main concern is that the Super Sports are quiet enough and ride nice as this is my daily driver and I drove both aggressive and calm depending on roads and if I have my kids in the car. I know the traction and outer limits of this tire are unbelievable from the reviews. Unfortunately most reviews are by non-G owners. I could go to the Michelin Primacy MXM4 "W" rated but think it will be too soft in handling. Thanks for the input!

Old 08-14-2011, 11:05 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
I just drove a G37 coupe with a brand new set of the PS Super Sports on it and I can say they were some of the quietest tires I've ridden on. I found myself hearing even the faintest little tiny noises in the rest of the car because in the silence of the cabin they became so apparent. I became a huge fan and I'm counting the time until I can put a set on my 6MT sedan; trouble is, I had just installed a new set of tires about a month before these came out. ARGHH!! These were basically brand new, so I can't be certain they would remain quiet all the way through their tread life, but I highly doubt they would ever sound as bad as those gawd awful RE050's. Those things absolutely howled by the time they were at 50% tread life.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
I just drove a G37 coupe with a brand new set of the PS Super Sports on it and I can say they were some of the quietest tires I've ridden on. I found myself hearing even the faintest little tiny noises in the rest of the car because in the silence of the cabin they became so apparent. I became a huge fan and I'm counting the time until I can put a set on my 6MT sedan; trouble is, I had just installed a new set of tires about a month before these came out. ARGHH!! These were basically brand new, so I can't be certain they would remain quiet all the way through their tread life, but I highly doubt they would ever sound as bad as those gawd awful RE050's. Those things absolutely howled by the time they were at 50% tread life.

Thanks for the input! I don't expect them to be their entire life as I know they will get louder as they wear. How was the overall ride over expansion joints and bumps, etc.?

Old 08-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
In regards to gaps and bumps, I found them very compliant. I didn't notice anything but their smoothness and I did drive them on some pretty bad stretches of road.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Currently running Michelin PS2s with close to 10K miles on them without any noise and the traction is like all Michelins....great! Nothing beats the knowledge that you're running quality tires knowing they won't let you down!
Gary

Old 08-15-2011, 03:44 PM
PSS' grip very good.. And yes the re050a's do make noise but they grip very well

Old 08-16-2011, 09:36 AM
Decided to pull the trigger withthe $70 rebate and go with the Super Sports. Wow... What a great tire. I have had summer tires before but these are extremely quiet and the ride is firm but not harsh and absorbs bumps nicely. As quiet if not quieter than my Dunlop Sport Maxx A/S and ride is just as comfortable. These are just braking in but the traction and limits to this tire are seriously ridiculous. The harder you push it the better it grips. I can take clover leafs at 10-15mph faster and the car feels the same as before. Crazy...

Old 08-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
I have winter tires also but still like the reassurance of an all-season--I can take off my winter rims in March knowing that if we get an unexpected bit of snow, I will be OK. Plus, for daily and spirited driving, an all-season is fine. I would recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Although outright dry traction does not compare to a max summer tire, it is very respectable. The ride is comfortable and quiet. They do not feel like mush either.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by mishmosh
I have winter tires also but still like the reassurance of an all-season--I can take off my winter rims in March knowing that if we get an unexpected bit of snow, I will be OK. Plus, for daily and spirited driving, an all-season is fine. I would recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Although outright dry traction does not compare to a max summer tire, it is very respectable. The ride is comfortable and quiet. They do not feel like mush either.

I appreciate the response. Unfortunately I am limited on tires due to the size of them. I have the xS so I run 225-50-18 all the way around and want to keep it stock size. I know the Pilot Sport A/S is a great tire but they don't come in my size. For Michelin it is either Super Sport or the Primacy in my size and the Primacy will be too soft and slower to respond as I have them on my other car. I wish they made the Pilot Sport A/S in my size as I don't need the outer limits of traction although it is a bonus. Can't beat $160 a tire though for the Super Sports. At least something positive to offset the limited number of tires in my size. I know the 245-45-18 for you "S" RWD cars is over $260 for the same tire.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
of the 4 sets of tires ive had on my car (sport not X) the super sports are by far the quietest, best handling, and best in the rain. Its amazing that such a tire could be made, usually you sacrifice one thing for another. The only thing this tire cant do is snow.

It handles better than any tire ive had and is quieter than any tire ive had. Michelin QC is also said to be top-notch.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by g35sedan5at
of the 4 sets of tires ive had on my car (sport not X) the super sports are by far the quietest, best handling, and best in the rain. Its amazing that such a tire could be made, usually you sacrifice one thing for another. The only thing this tire cant do is snow.

It handles better than any tire ive had and is quieter than any tire ive had. Michelin QC is also said to be top-notch.
I agree with everything except rain as I am still waiting for some to try them out. It is amazing that they could create such a high-tech tire to be a good daily driver yet you could auto-cross with them if needed. It really tightened up the car over railroad tracks, large bumps and entrance curbs to parking lots. The car doesn't rock left and right at all now.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Ok...So I am back for my final input on these tires. Driven now in all conditions and have gotten them past the break-in period. This tire is just solid all the way around. Better rain traction than my OEM Dunlop All-Season which is crazy. Steering repsonse is quick and they are sooooooo quiet. Firm but not punishing as I drive daily on these with clients and my kids as well. Highly recommend!