G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Best drop on a serious budget?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts

I've got 20s w/ 245/35/20s all around and really need to drop the car a bit. I just want the small Eibach drop.
The wife is not giving the green light so in order to do this I've got to really stay on a tight budget. I saw the DIY spring video and I knwo me & a buddy can DIY the springs. The springs cost about $220, but I can't have it ride like crap or I'll have even more explaining to do to the wifey
I've heard some guys get good results going to an adjustable strut along w/ Eibachs. Also do I definitely need camber kits w/ the Eibach springs? If I can get a decent ride and everything included for around $450-500 I may be able to convince her. I know coilovers are really the way to get the best drop & ride but no way can I get her to agree on the $2k price tag. For those that have just Eibachs without replacing the struts, is it comparable to stock ride or is it
significantly harsher? She's used to the ride on the low profile 20s but if it gets really jarring then again, it may be a deal breaker. Thanks for any help w/ this as I really want to get the tire gap narrowed, I want to do it right, btu I also can't blow the budget

Old 08-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
By small drop do you mean under 1 inch?
For a minimal drop and decent spring rate go with either eibach or Tein.
Most Gs won't need a camber kit and can get back into spec with an alignment if dropped under an inch.
This will give you all the info you need on springs.
https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...ferrerid=39810

Old 08-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Premier Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have the eibach pro kit on my sedan with 20's good ride and i had les schwab do it for aroun $500 i know its not really cheap but I dont mess with suspension. I figure that keeps the car on the road so i will pay a little bit to have it done right. Also heard it was kinda a pain to do it yourself.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'm new to the dropping thing but have done a lot of wrench twisting over the years like engine rebuilds, 4x4 restores, etc. so I'm fairly certain the DIY springs shouldn't be too tough, at least the DIY thread made it seem fairly straightforward.
Originally Posted by Swagger_Jacker
I have the eibach pro kit on my sedan with 20's good ride and i had les schwab do it for aroun $500 i know its not really cheap but I dont mess with suspension. I figure that keeps the car on the road so i will pay a little bit to have it done right. Also heard it was kinda a pain to do it yourself.
Are your stock struts holding up okay and did you need any camber kits? I read that the Eibach pro kits give like 1.5" drop F&R, is that what you got? I just really don't want to dive in then end up regretting it or making the wife PO'd since it's her daily driver. BTW, any pics of your drop?

Old 08-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Stick with the prokit I've used in on my cars in the past. Gives you great performance, great stance, and a perfect drop overall.....

Old 08-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Premier Member

Are your stock struts holding up okay and did you need any camber kits? I read that the Eibach pro kits give like 1.5" drop F&R, is that what you got? I just really don't want to dive in then end up regretting it or making the wife PO'd since it's her daily driver. BTW, any pics of your drop?

Stock struts are doing good so far, and no camber kit. It is a 1.5" drop all around. The ride isnt too bad, you do feel bumps but nothing more then just riding on 20"s. The first couple hundred miles were rougher then it is now. A guy I work with says it rides really nice for being lowered on 20's. Have only scraped a few placed but they were when exiting a parking lot with a huge angle, i think i scraped there even at stock. the pics i posted are some before and after. The close up ones are of the front wheel gap. I have some more and even the rear if you want to see those. Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails Best drop on a serious budget?-imag0090.jpg   Best drop on a serious budget?-imag0099.jpg   Best drop on a serious budget?-imag0100.jpg   Best drop on a serious budget?-imag0093.jpg   Best drop on a serious budget?-imag0097.jpg  

Old 08-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car looks good dude!

Old 08-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Premier Member

Thanks, looking at getting some new wheels next summer for it, and doing a few more things, but dont wanna go to crazy with it. Just keep it clean.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:54 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts

Sandbags ?

Old 08-21-2011, 01:23 AM
Premier Member

^ That could work too.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by Swagger_Jacker

Stock struts are doing good so far, and no camber kit. It is a 1.5" drop all around. The ride isnt too bad, you do feel bumps but nothing more then just riding on 20"s. The first couple hundred miles were rougher then it is now. A guy I work with says it rides really nice for being lowered on 20's. Have only scraped a few placed but they were when exiting a parking lot with a huge angle, i think i scraped there even at stock. the pics i posted are some before and after. The close up ones are of the front wheel gap. I have some more and even the rear if you want to see those. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info, car looks great btw and the drop is about perfect.
I'm thinking going Eibach, but the Tanabes look like a good choice too. Anyone prefer the Tanabes??

Old 08-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile

Sandbags ?
VQ I realized you never have anything productive to say.......lol

Old 08-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Might be kinda off topic but do we have the KYB G2? If so these pair up perfectly with the prokit. They are a little stiffer than stock......

Old 08-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Thanks for the info, car looks great btw and the drop is about perfect.
I'm thinking going Eibach, but the Tanabes look like a good choice too. Anyone prefer the Tanabes??
I have the Tanabes for my wife's car. If it were my own car, I'd go Eibach since the drop is more even.

I choose the Tanabes because the drop was less aggressive than the I'd hate to see my wife tear her front lip off on a parking curb. It actually worked out well since the Tanabe NF are a little nose high and keeps her from scraping the lip.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Here's my setup with an eibach drop, front has a gap but that's a problem on all X's. Running only a rear camber kit and stock struts. I'm at 53k miles now and put the springs on around 35k. Ride is definitely harsher than stock setup but you can blame the 20's for that too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best drop on a serious budget?