G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Question on purchasing either 05 or 08?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
If I go to the store to buy apple juice and I can't find it on the shelf, but then I notice some orange juice is on sale, should I buy the orange juice? . . . I mean, it's a really good price and all.

Regardless of pricing, I think it REALLY comes down to deciding between apples and oranges.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
I don't think they are hard to find if you look and have a little patience. I found 3 pretty quick. They may not be pristine or the options you want but something will soon turn up that you like. I love the X. I drove one for four years but where I live AWD is a useful option. In Arizona you wont be able to take advantage of it and speaking from experience I can say that you will have a little bit worse gas mileage than the RWD models.

Here is one, in Arizona, with 11,500 miles, NAV for $24,995.

Here is another, in Arizona, with 21,900 miles, $22,495

Here is a 3rd, in Arizona, with 26,000 miles, $24,683

Thanks. I actually found these as well just yesterday. I would need to negotiate them down about 10% to come close to the asking price since again sales tax from the dealer is about 10%. The other car (X model) is a private sale and saves me the 10 or about $2500.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
If I go to the store to buy apple juice and I can't find it on the shelf, but then I notice some orange juice is on sale, should I buy the orange juice? . . . I mean, it's a really good price and all.

Regardless of pricing, I think it REALLY comes down to deciding between apples and oranges.

Yes, I get your point, but I have never owned an Infiniti in the past so I wasn't sure if there was much quality difference between the two or really what major changes took place between the model years other than cosmetic. Some mfg's actually have more issues with the newer body styles especially the first year of a change. They need to work out the kinks, etc.

The price difference is drastic and is apples to oranges, but if they are both equal other than mileage and year and no real difference in refinement or dependability it becomes a very valid question.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by rinaldi69
Yes, I get your point, but I have never owned an Infiniti in the past so I wasn't sure if there was much quality difference between the two or really what major changes took place between the model years other than cosmetic. Some mfg's actually have more issues with the newer body styles especially the first year of a change. They need to work out the kinks, etc.

The price difference is drastic and is apples to oranges, but if they are both equal other than mileage and year and no real difference in refinement or dependability it becomes a very valid question.
wait, wait, wait . . . I am definitely advocating that you get a 2nd gen (V36) over the first gen (V35), just not an X. My apples and oranges analogy was meant to represent a RWD (V36) vs. an AWD (V36). I am confident if you hold out for it a bit more, you can find a second gen RWD model.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by bluedevils95
which do you like better? Do you really want to buy the 08? I love the 08 but don't want you to struggle if you can't afford it. Insurance will be a little higher as well being that it is a newer car. It's all up to you on what you want.
Insurance is not a concern, both are reasonable. I like everything about an 08 better but obviously the price. I need to finance either one but with low 1.9 financing the monthly payments are not far off. It is just a matter of longer terms and more debt. I really have no other debt than my home and some on my motorcycle.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:12 PM
wait, wait, wait . . . I am definitely advocating that you get a 2nd gen (V36) over the first gen (V35), just not an X. My apples and oranges analogy was meant to represent a RWD (V36) vs. an AWD (V36). I am confident if you hold out for it a bit more, you can find a second gen RWD model.
You are right on with the x model. No real need in AZ unless I head to flagstaff to ski or Co. But who knows where I will be in 3-5 years. The x model doesn't appear to cost any more than a out $1500 more new. So the downside is about 1 mpg less and maybe more maintenance? Dealer quoted the same price for any model for the 30k service.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
That's ridiculous.
No where did the OP say the 08 X he's looking at is 'Fully' Loaded, with Nav, Tech etc. Maybe he could clear that up, or maybe I missed it. Loaded means different things to different people so I posted a few links, big deal. I also said they may not be pristine or exactly what he is looking for.
I also said, IMO, an AWD seems like a waste under the circumstances.
Did I say don't buy it...No.
FWIW - I do agree that its a good price for an 08X but if you can find and X for that then you should be able to find an S for roughly the same price. Maybe the X is low priced because no one in Arizona wants it.

As for the 1st link, the seller says its a Sport Sedan, which it is. It does not say it's a G35S and clearly indicates below that it has the JOURNEY PKG

That wasn't my point. I'm just saying you get what you pay for. People were saying the car was too high of a price when it was fair.

and I know the first wasn't claiming it's a g35s I just thought I was funny they wrote that. It lead me to believe they were trying to lead people into thinking that maybe. I mean, would you write 370z sport coupe?

But you guys are right, he would be better off with RWD in arizona prob.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:21 AM
There are trade offs for me in terms of what the car has. I am after low miles and color first. It seems these cars are well equipped without the couple offered packages. I like the idea of the tech pkg and the sport pkg. Navi would be great, but I have that on my phone and a Garmin. But for me if I found another similar car but with 40k on the clock and a tech pkg for the same money, I would still opt for the X model.

Is the Tech Pkg the only way to hook up an Ipod or MP3 player to play on the stock head unit?

Old 09-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by _RR_
That wasn't my point. I'm just saying you get what you pay for. People were saying the car was too high of a price when it was fair.

and I know the first wasn't claiming it's a g35s I just thought I was funny they wrote that. It lead me to believe they were trying to lead people into thinking that maybe. I mean, would you write 370z sport coupe?

But you guys are right, he would be better off with RWD in arizona prob.
While that can be true with certain things, I wouldn't rely to heavily on that thinking while car shopping. With dealers, it depends on what margins they need, how long they've had it on the lot, what manner they acquired the vehicle, etc. Same goes for private sellers. Some are more motivated than others.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
There are trade offs for me in terms of what the car has. I am after low miles and color first. It seems these cars are well equipped without the couple offered packages. I like the idea of the tech pkg and the sport pkg. Navi would be great, but I have that on my phone and a Garmin. But for me if I found another similar car but with 40k on the clock and a tech pkg for the same money, I would still opt for the X model.

Is the Tech Pkg the only way to hook up an Ipod or MP3 player to play on the stock head unit?
The 08's come with the iPod connection in the armrest as long as the car has the Premium Package which, most of the time, X's do. Tech package was for other things like ICC, Adaptive headlights and more.
You can view the available package options here:http://infinitihelp.com/models/2008/...ifications.htm

Old 09-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No, as long as you get an 08 you can connect your ipod/mp3 player in two different ways. First, there is a docking cable that allows you to select your songs and playlists through the car's controls. I used this for a short while with my iphone, but since I have no organized playlists, it was too annoying to select my songs. The other connection is the standard Composite(red/white/yellow) plugs. Any ipod/mp3 player can be plugged in this way, but just not controlled through the car(which i prefer). Sound quality is actually better i feel with this method, especially if you have high-res audio tracks.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Hey all.... new member here.

I just bought my first Infiniti 2 weeks ago from Miller Infiniti in Van Nuys, CA.

Got an '08 g35 CPO with 16,400 miles, fully loaded base model. Black ext with beige int. Sticker was $31,500, marked down to 30k... out the door payed $27,200.

I thought I did a ton of research before I bought it, but I didn't manage to find this place first... wish I had! Loving the car and from this thread seems like I got an OK price... somehow I managed not to notice there were two different generation engines on the 08 g35 tho.

Anywho.... just wanted to introduce myself and this seemed like a decent thread for it. Been lurking for a week and already learned a ton. I'm an overall car noob, my last cars where just destination facilitators. Looks like this is the right place to get the most out of my new wheels.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Surly Jacob
Hey all.... new member here.

I just bought my first Infiniti 2 weeks ago from Miller Infiniti in Van Nuys, CA.

Got an '08 g35 CPO with 16,400 miles, fully loaded base model. Black ext with beige int. Sticker was $31,500, marked down to 30k... out the door payed $27,200.

I thought I did a ton of research before I bought it, but I didn't manage to find this place first... wish I had! Loving the car and from this thread seems like I got an OK price... somehow I managed not to notice there were two different generation engines on the 08 g35 tho.

Anywho.... just wanted to introduce myself and this seemed like a decent thread for it. Been lurking for a week and already learned a ton. I'm an overall car noob, my last cars where just destination facilitators. Looks like this is the right place to get the most out of my new wheels.
Welcome Jacob and congrats on the new ride. A couple things you've said seem a bit off. This is a great place for info, but if you want some specific background on your car (features, available options/packages, specs, etc.), you might want to visit here also:

http://infinitihelp.com/models/2008/g35_sedan/

^^ that is the overview page; check out the other tabs too.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Welcome Jacob and congrats on the new ride. A couple things you've said seem a bit off. This is a great place for info, but if you want some specific background on your car (features, available options/packages, specs, etc.), you might want to visit here also:

http://infinitihelp.com/models/2008/g35_sedan/

^^ that is the overview page; check out the other tabs too.
Thanks for the link... I'll give that a read. Like I said I'm pretty new to cars outside of knowing which pedal does what.

My head spins trying to get a grasp on all this, but I really want to learn. I think I figured out my goof in misreading the engine thing... forgot they were talking about two different years.

When I said fully loaded, I meant with technology package and such. Pretty sure it's a Journey? Car is at the dealership right now getting some paint chips touched up and the brakes looked at (hearing a squeak a week after purchase is rather annoying)... so at the moment I'm driving around an '11 g37, jerks making me jealous that I couldn't afford a new car, lol.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Surly Jacob
Thanks for the link... I'll give that a read. Like I said I'm pretty new to cars outside of knowing which pedal does what.

My head spins trying to get a grasp on all this, but I really want to learn. I think I figured out my goof in misreading the engine thing... forgot they were talking about two different years.

When I said fully loaded, I meant with technology package and such. Pretty sure it's a Journey? Car is at the dealership right now getting some paint chips touched up and the brakes looked at (hearing a squeak a week after purchase is rather annoying)... so at the moment I'm driving around an '11 g37, jerks making me jealous that I couldn't afford a new car, lol.
I went from an 07X to an 11S. There are obvious changes because I switched from AWD to a RWD Sport pkg but the other changes in the vehicle, including the extra 22HP are pretty subtle.
In other words, don't feel too bad. Your 08 with tech is a beautiful car.
You'll quickly learn here, that for a price, you can make your 08 look and feel like a 2011 model if you want. You can even get the 07-09 Sport front end for a fairly reasonable price. You'll see
Welcome to the forum.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question on purchasing either 05 or 08?