G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Steering Wheel Trim Removal/Replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 10:42 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by the_sleeper
did anyone have an problems lining up the steering wheel. i resintalled the steering wheel and its crooked. I lined up the line on the steering wheel line to the line to the steering post..any tips are appreciated...thanks
Did you make sure your wheels were pointed straight ahead when you did it?

Old 02-03-2014, 10:54 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile

Did you make sure your wheels were pointed straight ahead when you did it?
Yes they were pointed straight ahead and I was on an even flat surface

Old 02-03-2014, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by the_sleeper
Yes they were pointed straight ahead and I was on an even flat surface
Well, it's easy enough to count the number of splines in the steering shaft (hint: just do 90* worth x 4), then divide the total into 360 and you can tell how much arc deviation there is to being off by one spline. If that corresponds the amount of deviation you are seeing, then you found your problem.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile

Well, it's easy enough to count the number of splines in the steering shaft (hint: just do 90* worth x 4), then divide the total into 360 and you can tell how much arc deviation there is to being off by one spline. If that corresponds the amount of deviation you are seeing, then you found your problem.
I will give this a shot tomorrow. Thanks

Old 01-22-2015, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikaly
Hi All, I see a lot of requests for this, so I uploaded a DIY on myg37.com:

http://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-in...ement-diy.html

Hope it helps!
Thanks for the write up! Now, to find a decent price for the part...

Old 01-26-2015, 05:08 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I have the worst luck. I tried to do this fix recently, until I got to the torx screws. Left one came out, no problem. Then I got to the right side and couldn't seat the bit into the screw. I looked closer and it turns out some idiot (previous mechanic) broke an undersized bit off IN the screw. WTF?? I tried to get it out for over an hour but it's close to flush. I just gave up, looks I'm gonna have to deal with scratched trim.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
I have the worst luck. I tried to do this fix recently, until I got to the torx screws. Left one came out, no problem. Then I got to the right side and couldn't seat the bit into the screw. I looked closer and it turns out some idiot (previous mechanic) broke an undersized bit off IN the screw. WTF?? I tried to get it out for over an hour but it's close to flush. I just gave up, looks I'm gonna have to deal with scratched trim.
Hold up. It's probably just a security Torx head screw. You need to buy a driver with a tip that has a hole in the middle of it. I'll see if I can find a pic of them.

Here you go:

You can pic them up most anywhere. I think I got a set at Harbor Freight or in the ACE Hardware bargain bin for a couple bucks.

Last edited by vqsmile; 01-26-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:03 AM
Thanks VQ but I had the right bit. It's literally broken off into the screw. Someone tried to use a smaller bit, and naturally it didn't fit correctly and they torqued it at an angle which caused it to break off. I'll try to get a pic later if I can.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:58 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by goalomeri
I have a small problem when i tried changing my steering wheel trim. I stripped the torx screw when i first started and couldnt even get it off. Any help will be appreciated.

Also , if anyone can provide a Link to DIY for the CF Wrap for all the panels.
Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
Hopefully this will help anyone having this problem in the future:

I had this exact same problem where one of my screws came out just fine but the other one stripped completely. It's pretty much impossible to drill it out or cut a slot into it without destroying the plastic shroud. Instead of doing that, the thing that worked for me was a Bolt/Nut Remover Tool, specifically one that is sized for 3/8".

In Canada you can pick these up at Canadian tire, and all you have to do is hook it up to a ratchet or an impact gun and it will allow you to bite down on the bolt and remove it. Once they are out grab some M6 Hex Bolts of the right size and replace both of them to save you some headache in the future.

Best of Luck!

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ma...9532p.html#spc

Attached Thumbnails Steering Wheel Trim Removal/Replacement DIY-bolt-remover.png  
The following users liked this post:
Hoagy (07-08-2019)
Old 10-26-2017, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by Saaif88
Hopefully this will help anyone having this problem in the future:

I had this exact same problem where one of my screws came out just fine but the other one stripped completely. It's pretty much impossible to drill it out or cut a slot into it without destroying the plastic shroud. Instead of doing that, the thing that worked for me was a Bolt/Nut Remover Tool, specifically one that is sized for 3/8".

In Canada you can pick these up at Canadian tire, and all you have to do is hook it up to a ratchet or an impact gun and it will allow you to bite down on the bolt and remove it. Once they are out grab some M6 Hex Bolts of the right size and replace both of them to save you some headache in the future.

Best of Luck!

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ma...9532p.html#spc
Thanks for the help, although I already replaced my trim! I actually did exactly that, I used a reverse-threaded stripped nut removing socket. I had to get a set of them for my shock tower mounts that were stripped, and one day I revisited the steering wheel Torx screw and had the realization I could use the stripped nut remover. It worked! Made me so happy. I painted the trim blue slate to match my car's exterior, I think it looks great.

Only thing is, since I took the airbag out I seem to have a rattle coming from it now.. not sure what it is but eventually I'm gonna have to go back in there because it bothers me a lot.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:55 AM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
^^^ pics?

Old 10-28-2017, 05:41 AM
Old 06-24-2019, 11:39 PM
EX35
Has anyone found the 48463-JK07C (wheat/beige with both cutouts) at a reasonable price? The dealerships in the Dallas area are quoting me between $175 and $225. And when I search online I’m told the part doesn’t fit my 2010 EX35...but, according to INFINITI it does. I really didn’t want to spend more than $100 for the part since the dealership wants to charge me $185 per hour to install it (I’m not exactly the handy type when it comes to car repair). Thanks.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:50 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,470 Likes on 2,161 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Take a picture with your finger on exactly the piece you're trying to replace and post it here.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:46 AM
EX35

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Trim Removal/Replacement DIY