G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Test drove a 2008 G35 sedan 6MT now have questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 01:40 AM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Test drove a 2008 G35 sedan 6MT now have questions

Hi, I test drove a 2008 Infiniti G35 sedan 6MT and now I have a few questions.

Is the vibration coming from the transmission normal to all 6MT G35?

6MT has more transmission noise than the AT version? When idling and start up/shut off?

The clutch take up was kinda high, but it doesn't slip. I can only assume that's the way it is, but not the clutch is due for replacement soon.

What should I look out for for a used one with about 45k miles?

Thanks.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:44 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Sounds exactly like my car...

Old 11-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
[QUOTE=stockae92;6196177]Hi, I test drove a 2008 Infiniti G35 sedan 6MT and now I have a few questions.

Is the vibration coming from the transmission normal to all 6MT G35?

6MT has more transmission noise than the AT version? When idling and start up/shut off?

The clutch take up was kinda high, but it doesn't slip. I can only assume that's the way it is, but not the clutch is due for replacement soon.

from the reading here most clutches are good for around 100,000 miles..and mine catches about one inch from flroor with 54000 mi.. no vibrations either..it sounds like that one is going to need parts

Old 11-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by stockae92
Hi, I test drove a 2008 Infiniti G35 sedan 6MT and now I have a few questions.

Is the vibration coming from the transmission normal to all 6MT G35? If you're talking about the gear shift vibration, then YES it is quite common, but not universal

6MT has more transmission noise than the AT version? When idling and start up/shut off? No, not necessarily, just the usual chatter when idling in neutral with clutch pedal released. With the clutch pedal depressed it shouldn't make noise.

The clutch take up was kinda high, but it doesn't slip. I can only assume that's the way it is, but not the clutch is due for replacement soon. They are KNOWN for having a high take-up and for being like a light switch.

What should I look out for for a used one with about 45k miles? Maintenance history, absence of abuse indicators from PO.

Thanks.
See within

Old 11-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
yeah get it checked out as good as you can, dont rely on carfax!

Take it to a good mechanic or a body shop too and have them check it with a fine tooth comb. You can still get burned, I did by having a leaky windshield replaced (at my expense), but since there was no rain for so long (3+ months), and you couldn't tell unless you removed the windshield trim, there was no real way for anyone to find that.

However had I taken mine to a body shop, I would have discovered my front bumper was painted while on the car, on the lot, and thus ruined and not repaint-able. The infiniti dealer I paid to inspect did not catch this, told me it was repainted but done well (lol).

So I'd just put some money aside to fix stuff like that, no way to plan for it really lol. It's hard enough to find a good 6MT 2nd gen sedan anyways!

Also an 08 will probably still have powertrain warranty left, and likely some bumper to bumper left (I have mine until feb). Check to see what the 'in service date is' - that's when the warranty clock starts rolling.

If by vibration you mean the stick/shift vibrating, that is normal in any mt car I've had (while in gear and driving).

Go for, it's a blast. If you even could find a G37 sedan 6mt used, I bet it will be a heckuva lot more money - depends how much you wanna pay for the 30 hp. I couldn't even find one when I was looking.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:55 AM
thanks guys for the info.

i with the way the clutch engage, its need some getting used to before i can drive it smoothly, or do smooth rev matching.

btw, the one i saw doesn't have rear AC vent, instead it has a ashtray?

it doesn't have a fold down back seat. otherwise, its just interior trim wear and tear. it has more wear and tear than i would expect for a 3 year old car.

but to me, the most importants things are the drive train and electronics. since its an infiniti, i guess those should last a long time without abuse.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:05 PM
thanks guys for the info.

i with the way the clutch engage, its need some getting used to before i can drive it smoothly, or do smooth rev matching.

btw, the one i saw doesn't have rear AC vent, instead it has a ashtray?

it doesn't have a fold down back seat. otherwise, its just interior trim wear and tear. it has more wear and tear than i would expect for a 3 year old car.

but to me, the most importants things are the drive train and electronics. since its an infiniti, i guess those should last a long time without abuse.
6mt has the parking brake in the center console, so you don't get those things (only on auto because parking brake uses the foot pedal). I think the 09+ has the back seat ac vent.
The clutch does take some getting used to. There is a guy on here in Canada designing a new pedal for it that works better, he's doing the 1st gen first and then the 2nd gen after that - looking forward to it!

The g35 sedan did away with folding rear seats after the 1st gen. I'd think if you intend on needed that feature, a hot hatch like a wrx or ms3 might be better for that ( I considered those before I got my G).

yeah I wouldn't imaging it should be that worse for wear with that mileage and age. I guess someone didn't take care of the inside??

Trending Topics

Old 11-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had this same 6MT tranny for almost 9 years ('03 350Z, '06 G35 Sedan), and I still struggle with the ("light switch") take-up point of the clutch.

You'll get used to it... but you may never like it.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:04 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by rvanderwerf
6mt has the parking brake in the center console, so you don't get those things (only on auto because parking brake uses the foot pedal). I think the 09+ has the back seat ac vent.
The clutch does take some getting used to. There is a guy on here in Canada designing a new pedal for it that works better, he's doing the 1st gen first and then the 2nd gen after that - looking forward to it!

The g35 sedan did away with folding rear seats after the 1st gen. I'd think if you intend on needed that feature, a hot hatch like a wrx or ms3 might be better for that ( I considered those before I got my G).

yeah I wouldn't imaging it should be that worse for wear with that mileage and age. I guess someone didn't take care of the inside??
No G sedan has ever had fold down rear seats. Only the coup.e

Old 11-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by rvanderwerf

I will be interested in a new clutch pedal as well ..

What made you choose G35 over WRX and MS3?

i also considered WRX and MS3. To me, the WRX lacks a lot of the features, that I am basically paying for just the drivetrain with wheels. For the same price as the base WRX, the MS3 (with tech) is filled with features. and in sunny socal, i don't need AWD 99% of the time. But I don't want to get into the whole thing about AWD handling, torque steer and stuff. The bottom line is MS3 is still plenty of fun to drive and handles very well.

i was almost certain that i was going with the MS3 (even went to the dealer for price negotiation but walked out because we couldn't agree on the price) until i came across a '08 G35 sedan (with premium and navi) for about the same price. it seems like the G is a lot more car for the price, even though its used.

but i have to say, MS3 does have advantage of ultility (with the hatch) and its simply a MAD car (which i like). I think the G would hold its value better (given the brands), even though its an older car. Also the first owner already took the hit for the initial depreciation. :-) the NA motor should be more reliable than a FI motor, maybe?! mpg should be equally "bad", MS3 might do better on the freeway without boost. but i don't know if it can stay out of boost cruising at 70mph on the freeway.

and my wife said ... "The G35 doesn't have turn signal on the mirror." ...

Old 11-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts

... The bottom line is MS3 is still plenty of fun to drive and handles very well.

Granted, it is that,

but it is also FWD (not even AWD) and it always will be. It'll never feel like a G35 (RWD) car.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:43 AM
I will be interested in a new clutch pedal as well ..

What made you choose G35 over WRX and MS3?

i also considered WRX and MS3. To me, the WRX lacks a lot of the features, that I am basically paying for just the drivetrain with wheels. For the same price as the base WRX, the MS3 (with tech) is filled with features. and in sunny socal, i don't need AWD 99% of the time. But I don't want to get into the whole thing about AWD handling, torque steer and stuff. The bottom line is MS3 is still plenty of fun to drive and handles very well.

i was almost certain that i was going with the MS3 (even went to the dealer for price negotiation but walked out because we couldn't agree on the price) until i came across a '08 G35 sedan (with premium and navi) for about the same price. it seems like the G is a lot more car for the price, even though its used.

but i have to say, MS3 does have advantage of ultility (with the hatch) and its simply a MAD car (which i like). I think the G would hold its value better (given the brands), even though its an older car. Also the first owner already took the hit for the initial depreciation. :-) the NA motor should be more reliable than a FI motor, maybe?! mpg should be equally "bad", MS3 might do better on the freeway without boost. but i don't know if it can stay out of boost cruising at 70mph on the freeway.

and my wife said ... "The G35 doesn't have turn signal on the mirror." ...
Ironically, my wife's altima does have the turn signal in the mirror lol. Why did I chose the g over the MS4 or wrx? Well, I live in central texas, no snow - so AWD doesn't do a lot for me here. It came down to a more mature car with RWD and standard. I fell the MS3 was a little young for me (I'm 37) and the FWD I just couldn't get over(And 2010+ is fugly). A hatch does have more utility- no doubt about that. However I also have an old Tundra pickup in my driveway when I really need to haul something. Also insurance - the G was half the price to insure over the MS3 or the wrx. The STI was so expensive insurance-wise, I ruled it completely out. Both the ms3 and the wrx still have a rep for street racing and dumb stuff, and I guess more mature people drive the G going by numbers.

If you want an affordable quality sedan with 6mt and RWD, there isn't a lot to pick from. I'd only own a bmw if I had a warranty, and one new enough for a 335 was too expensive. Lexus is350 also is comparable, again very pricey. The best value seems to be the G

Old 11-04-2011, 12:35 PM
rvanderwerf, I think we are/were in the same boat. I have long passed my 20's .. LOL

I ruled out bimmer for the cost of ownership (pre-own without warranty). i like the IS350 but they do cost more than a comparable G35.

strange enough, the insurance for both new MS3 and used G35 is about the same (the diference is within $100/yr)

So I guess G it is .. :-)

Old 11-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My G has the rattle as well (85k now) clutch still holding strong! I did alter the clutch travel so it doesn't feel so high.

Good luck, I love my 6mt!!!

Old 11-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
There are rear AC vents in the 6mt, they are relocated under the front seats though.

There's 3 simple/free ways to adjust the clutch. You can add bump stops (on the top/bottom/or both sides), adjust the threaded rod, and either take out or replace the spring in the pedal.

The MS3 is a great car, however I have a friend who got really tired of the rough suspension (which required frequent maintenance) and temperamental nature of the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test drove a 2008 G35 sedan 6MT now have questions