G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

03-06 vs 07-08 g35 DIFFERENCES

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 02:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03-06 vs 07-08 g35 DIFFERENCES

last week my 06 sedan was T- boned by some kid who ran a red light and sadly my car is totaled Now I am thinking about getting a 07 g35 sedan and a couple questions come to mind especially for all those who had the 1st gen sedan.

1. how do the two match up to each other in terms of daily drive, cornering, take off from a dig. i want to know what you feel the differences are.

2. Is the 07+ mod friendly (audio, suspension, motor, is parts interchangeable between g37,350z,370z, g35 +07)

I am a spirited driver,love the feeling of having the car in tune with he road and I love to get into corners so i just would like to know what you have to say about both of the cars.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-24-2011, 04:30 AM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
well the 07 is better lol its the new model... i think audio might be an issue

Old 12-24-2011, 04:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I absolutely love my G (2007 sedan); it's an awesome daily driver, relaxing when you need it to be, and fun when you want it to be. I can't really compare to the previous gen sedan, but I think the 07+ looks much better.

The 07+ is very mod friendly; if you search through this sub-forum you'll see what I mean. As far as interchangeable parts, sort of. Like I said, I've never owned a G earlier than 07, so I'll give you reference for 07+ (G35 and G37). The G37 sedan first appeared in 09, and is nearly the exact same car as the 07/08 G35 except for the engine (3.5L vs. 3.7L). However, from 2010+, the body changed slightly with a face lift; if you look closely, you'll notice the front fascia is slightly edgier and the rear (look really hard for this one, took my awhile to actually notice after being shown) is slightly tighter. The interior changed slightly, look at the center console and front doors. Other than that, the cars are really friendly to modding, I frequent the G37 site (MyG37.com) because nearly, if not all, modding there works for my car too.

The car is great if you're a spirited driver, the handling is great. One thing I noticed, though, was the stock 17" wheels really don't do the car justice. I put the 18" sport wheels on and it's a world of difference. I now have the 19" G37s coupe wheels and its even better. Don't get me wrong, though, the handling is still very good with the 17"s, just obviously not as good.

I hope this helped, I'll try to answer any other questions if you have them. Also, if I'm not mistaken, I believe the engine in the 07 is the same/nearly the same as the 06.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beebo
well the 07 is better lol its the new model... i think audio might be an issue
I have the Bose system and its been fantastic so far.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:35 AM
bkd
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a 2005 and now have a 2008. Both were 6MT Sport models with Premium packages. The 2008has lots of little improvements. The power bump is noticable. The traction control is WAY better. The seats are more comfortable and the controls return to the side of the seat. In my case the 2008 is quieter and has less noise. The 2008 is easier to work on for minor things. It has a straight dipstick, the air filters are easy to get to and change. The Nav/audio options are nicer (in dash CD/changer/ipod/RCA inputs/sat/AM/FM/CF reader/Hard disk...) I can't think of anything I don't like better in the 2008. The 2005 had reclining rear seat that the 2008 didn't have but I never used them. The 2008 does have some anoyances and could be improved like any other car. Climate/temperature controls and radio controls look identical so I change the temperature instead of the volume. The buttons around the NAV screen are a mess, and there is duplication between the NAV and instrument cluster for things like maintainance reminders. You still need to remove 30 screws on the belly pan to change the oil and still have to disassemble the glovebox to change the cabin air filter. The wheels on my 2008 are staggered and I prefered having the same size all around like the 2005 did. I like the styling better, dual exhaust, shark fin sat radio antenna, push button start/keyless entry, etc. I think the 2008 sport is a little bit softer and rides better than the 2005 but seemed to handle just as well. Tires make a huge difference and the all seasons I have now dont have the same cornering/turn in as the OEM tires did, but I made the comfort trade-off because of how I use my car the most these days. I find the new car to be a bit more controllable in the wet with the traction control off, but that could easily be a car specific/alignment thing rather than a year model difference. I don't think you will give up anything in performance. The added power and the improved traction control makes it WAY better in everyday situations. I think the 2007 had some interior trim issues that the 2008 didn't, but those things are easy to swap out/upgrade.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:09 AM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Only thing worse on the 07+ Gs is the paint, it is so frikin' fragile, just looking at it the wrong way will cause it to chip
They nailed everything else on the car though

The following 2 users liked this post by blnewt:
jimboG35x (12-26-2011), tiguy99 (02-22-2020)
Old 12-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input! A lot of my questions were answered! One more thing I was reading about that morning sputter issue and some one said it's only MTs that are experiencing it. Is this a big problem? Does it effect the cars performance? Any other mechanical problems I should loom for when buying the g35 07+

Thanks again guys!!

Old 12-24-2011, 06:58 PM
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by tsmehl
I have the Bose system and its been fantastic so far.
No highs, no lows, must be Bose.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:21 PM
Received 127 Likes on 117 Posts
Nicer body and interior!!

Old 12-24-2011, 11:39 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
I moved from a base auto 05 RWD sedan to a fully loaded with every option 08 6MT sedan and I am absolutley in love.

My first G was like, my baby. But she seemed for fragile and I babied the hell out of that car. LOVED it. Great car. It was like we were married however, and there were a lot of days I was bored. Probably due to the auto.

This car.... Gina and I, we have gotten down and dirty and she does NOT mind playing rough... we have a very fun relationship. Shes like my friend with benefits that I secretly love but she doesn't know. We bang hard and have fun every day. I simply do NOT get tired of it. I love this car, Majorly.

The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (02-22-2020)
Old 12-25-2011, 11:19 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by itzjayswag
Thanks for the input! A lot of my questions were answered! One more thing I was reading about that morning sputter issue and some one said it's only MTs that are experiencing it. Is this a big problem? Does it effect the cars performance? Any other mechanical problems I should loom for when buying the g35 07+

Thanks again guys!!
Just check the typical boxes for used car purchases - service records, look for repaired body work, have it checked by a mechanic, autocheck....

Other than that, I never really hear about a major defect (such as leaky head gasket, bad fuel pump or engine sludge) that you sometimes have to watch out for in other cars. In my opinion the transmission and clutch are kind of sensitive in these cars. That's the case with any MT since you dont know what the previous owner did to it but IMO the G's MT is also a little temperamental with clutch take-up and synchro damage. The throw out bearing in our cars can sound and feel like crap, it is common on all V36 MT's. It will have a rattling/grinding noise when in neutral and the clutch out, push it in and the sound changes dramatically. Also, there are three easy ways to adjust the feel/take-up point of the clutch, I suggest you experiment with them. There was a master clutch cylinder recall that should have been performed on the car long ago, check records or infiniti dealer to confirm.

Other things to check:
-front brake rotor warp - many V36's have this fixed under warranty and a splash shield is added to prevent it from happening again. You can also just upgrade to better rotors.
-black paint chipping on steering wheel and door handles - also easily fixed under warranty.If out of warranty you can repaint on your own.
-corners of instrument cluster curling up - they usually fix this under warranty, mine is doing it but honestly it doesnt bother me and I just left it, its really not that noticeable.
-Drivers seat bolstering cracking/creasing - I think you just have to live with this, hopefully its not bad
-Noisy air compressor on hot days - the A/C will still work but the compressor sounds like *****. Some can get this fixed under warranty but it can be hard to get the dealer to replicate or admit. I had mine replaced but it came back and now I'll be out of warranty before summer comes back. At least it still works so one can live with it.
-wheel bearings and stabilizer links can make a lot of racket, but that is the case with any car, I dont think the G is particularly bad with these bits
-The intelligent cruise control can be touchy, there was a tsb to fix its issues. The fix had its own faults so it was a trade-off to have it done.

Thats all i can think of right now. As far as the differences between 1st and second gen, I share other's opinions in the 2nd gen being much more refined. From the drivers seat it has a much larger and substantial feel. Many more luxurious touches and it looks better (imo). I love it over the 1st gen sedan.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:03 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Better design for one

Old 12-26-2011, 03:33 AM
Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts
Better engine, better interior. That's pretty much it, I think the exterior of the 07+ G's looks like crap but that's my opinion.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Opinion is opinion so there is no arguing that but I really disagree on the looks. The current gen G sedan looks so much better than the 03-06 imo. I get a lot of compliments on my car which surprises me since the shape is now been around since 07. I love the aggressive look of the front. Also I find the 03-06 to be very dated now but loved it when it first came out right up until I got my 07.

Just to actually put some useful input for the OP's question, I would say that the audio system would be harder to upgrade on this car compared to the older gen, or at least any car I have ever owned. Speaker sizes are quite odd but the plus side is the aux in for audio and/or video.

Also I would say while there is a good amount of mods available there are definitely less than the v35 sedan, especially when it comes to cosmetics but overall as well. If it weren't for this forum I would believe there was next to nothing but this forum does a good job of uncovering new or little known products. Also the members are quite brave and adventurous about trying new parts. I see you listed as San Diego for location and a lot of parts seem to be made or at least sold by southern Cali shops so that's a plus for sure. New York'ers are also blessed with a lot of great shops for these cars as well it seems.

To be fair I never owned a V35 sedan but the couple friends I have with them love my car, especially the looks.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:56 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
more power..better interior..better looks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 03-06 vs 07-08 g35 DIFFERENCES