G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

loud grinding type noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
loud grinding type noise

The other day I had a little mishap where I slide into a curb and my two driver side wheels hit the curb sideways. This was at a very low speed, around 30KM/hr. As soon as I got back on the road and reached speeds of 60KM or higher I could hear a loud grinding type noise coming from the wheels. It's been two days now and the noise is less now but still there. What could this be?

It's an 07 G35x.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First thing I would do is remove both drivers side tires and look for things that have been grinding. Look for shiny spots on components, the part that is now making contact will be shiny from grinding away at the component it is now in contact with. Check the inside of your rims to see if something has been contacting the rim. This will then give you an idea of where the bent part is. If you cant see anything that has new shiny spots and you cant see where something has been rubbing on the inside of the rim. Then I would take the brakes off including the rotor to see if the heat shield on the back of the rotor is the culprit. Good luck. The grinding noise is more then likely getting less noticable because the part(s) that is/are grinding is/are wearing away. should check this out ASAP.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by kb24888
The other day I had a little mishap where I slide into a curb and my two driver side wheels hit the curb sideways. This was at a very low speed, around 30KM/hr. As soon as I got back on the road and reached speeds of 60KM or higher I could hear a loud grinding type noise coming from the wheels. It's been two days now and the noise is less now but still there. What could this be?

It's an 07 G35x.
Based on your question here, it doesn't sound to me like you are very savvy of mechanical things pertaining to your car. (no judgement here, just making an honest observation). Given that, I would suggest you take your car immediately to a reputable mechanic and have it looked at. It could be something very minor, but it could also be something that is dangerous to continue driving on without correction. Better to be safe than sorry!

Old 02-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
you might have hosed the wheel bearings on that side.. fsm list that as a symptom.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Good point on the wheel bearing. To check that before removing tires is pretty easy. With the wheel off the ground try moving the tire in and out. One hand on each side of the tire pushing back and forth. If it moves easily it could be: wheel bearings or tie rods that got loose from the impact. Also grab top and bottom of tire and try pushing and pulling the tire. This could be: ball joints and or wheel bearings. If you feel any movement in any direction you will need an assistant to look for the part that is allowing the movement. Hope that helps.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ nicely summed up. in any case i would take it to the mech as VQ pointed out IF you are not really someone who likes working on cars.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:15 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
^ nicely summed up. in any case i would take it to the mech as VQ pointed out IF you are not really someone who likes working on cars.
Yeah, I made that comment above because I remember when....

Two weeks after getting her license, my own daughter hit a curb pretty hard while rolling backwards downhill in a Honda Civic at about 10-15 mph (don't ask). She recalled later that: she got out, looked it over, didn't see anything wrong, and although it did ride kind of funny after that, according to her, she was just too afraid that I'd be mad to call me for help. Instead, she tried to drive home. She made it about 5 miles on surface streets and was just 2 blocks shy of her intended freeway on-ramp (for the remaining 10 miles she needed to go) when the entire right rear control arm ripped free from its forward bushing mount and rotated the wheel sideways in the wheel well (remember, this is the rear wheel!) and instantly dragged the car to a stop in the middle of the road.

(btw, it was only THEN that I got the call. )

Point is, for whatever reason, some folks just don't have enough of a feel for the mechanics of the machine to adequately assess it road-worthiness; sometimes, even if they're looking right at it and you're telling them what to do!. That's perfectly ok, ain't no shame in that, . . . so long as when something does happen; particularly something that could potentially involve PERSONAL SAFETY, then they need to have someone more competent check things out. PERIOD!

Old 02-28-2012, 08:37 AM
I dont disagree with VQ, If anything I mentioned above seems confusing I would take it to a mechanic as there could be more then one problem. Then again you cant learn to be a mechanic till you jump in and start turning wrenches and learning from your mistakes. I've taugh myself mechanics for the last...crap how old am i? 17 years. simply because Im to damn cheep to pays someone to fix my car. Ive worked as a technician on light duty, I built custom motorcycles, I worked at a race shop building old muscle. I taught highschool auto mechanics, I am now a master certified diesel technician and I train Heavy diesel mechanics on fire trucks and military vehichles. Ive had tires fall of cars, Taught me to never trust an impact gun and allways tourge lugs to spec. Ive had to run cars into snow banks to stop them. LOL sorry off track.

Anyways take a look at it if you feel confident but just know if your wrong or if you miss something it could lead to an accident in which you or someone else could get hurt. Do what you think is best based upon your experiences.