Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Originally Posted by Kazadel
we must go deeper

Old 03-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Update: I got in the plastidip yesterday and gave it a test trial on my front license plate frame.
Sorry I forgot to take pics of the original chrome plate and applying the matte black, it was late at night.
I did 3 layers of matte black and about 2-3 layers of the silver metalizer. Its got a slightly rough texture to it that I'm not liking too much. Currently it looks more like graphite similar to pencil lead than a gunmetal color. I might consider adding another layer of silver metalizer and a clear coat to give it more shine and hopefully make the surface smooth. If it turns out well, then I'll be painting my trim this weekend. Let me know what you guys think.

And yeah, I'll be changing my license plate frame to Infiniti....

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e3...5/IMG_3128.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e3...5/IMG_3135.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e3...5/IMG_3133.jpg

Old 03-23-2012, 01:59 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Looks like spray on bedliner. Not liking the finish much

Old 03-25-2012, 06:43 PM
Update: I plasti dipped my rear spoiler and emblems. The color came out nice but still a bit wary of the texture. I'll post pics at end of today.

I'm currently trying to remove the front grill to prep and dip. I'm actually having trouble removing the shroud to get to the back of the grill. Not sure how to take off the two clips holding the hood release wire, can anyone help me?

Edit: scratch that...just had to yank them off.

Last edited by ninjitsui1; 03-25-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts
awwwwwww yeah. yank dat.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:44 AM
Update: I had some mess ups with the front emblem and didn't come out the same color as the rear. I'll take some better pictures when I wash the car. My main gripe is still the texture; its slighty rough to touch. And I didn't get around to the window trim either. I'm still 50/50 about whether I want to keep it on. I'll have to see it during the day and outside to get a better opinion.

Notes:
I was going to paint the front grill gunmetal on the top and bottom blades but unfortunately putting masking tape on plastidip causes it come off with the tape. So if you want to do something similar to the midnight grill, its kind of hard with plastidip. So I had to just do a flat black grill with a gunmetal emblem.
I did also put clearcoast plastidip on it, the clear coat cause the color to lighten up a bit too so be careful if your using it. In hindsight, dipyourcar.com has a "glossifier" plastidip, which I thought a clear coat plastidip would do the same..but now I'm thinking glossifier would have been better to get the shiny effect I was looking for.
The color looks uniform from a 4-5 feet away but you see a bit of the unevenness (texture) as you get within a foot or two.

I uploaded the pics onto photobucket, link below. If you guys want me to post some pics onto the forum itself or if you have any questions, let me know.

photobucket.com/g35greyout

Old 03-28-2012, 03:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
hey!!! i had the same idea as you; to paint all my chrome. i guess no idea is original. the weather here has been up and down. but i'll post pics when im done maybe this weekend.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by G. Dizzle #2
hey!!! i had the same idea as you; to paint all my chrome. i guess no idea is original. the weather here has been up and down. but i'll post pics when im done maybe this weekend.
Hehe yeah, I wanted to get away from the chrome but not black it out. This is mainly because I've been looking at gunmetal rims and thought it would look nice to have the trim match. I really like the color but I'm still up in the air about the texture. I wish plastidip went on a little smoother like actual paint. Although its a sacrifice I was willing to make with being easy to remove and not permanent. (And cheap)

I'll be washing the car this weekend, and possibly redoing my front emblem to match the rear color. I MIGHT do my window trim too. I'd like to see how your project goes G Dizzle! PM me if you have any questions.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:30 PM
OK, will do.
I have an 03 BS sedan tho. so the color contrast will look quite different. I have Hyper silver rims too. Matte silver the color i am going to paint my emblems and door handles. the grille black w/ matte silver Mt. fuji and window trim black. and i have yet to install my nismo front. i have no time these days. might have to take a day off work, LOL

Old 04-04-2012, 05:08 PM
UPDATE:
i finished somewhat. i messed up one door handle and the back emblem. it was actually too cold to be painting but i couldnt resist. But as the saying goes patience is a virtue. so when it gets warm i will redo them. here is how it looks. the good side of course.

Plasti dipping all chrome...not the usual black-painted.jpg

Last edited by G. Dizzle #2; 04-05-2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: bigger pic
Old 04-05-2012, 06:59 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Can you post a bigger pic?

Old 04-05-2012, 08:57 AM
thats as big as they will allow me to make it.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:38 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Free image hosting on photobucket.com will let you embed a bigger pic

...cause I wanna see how this turns out! Always nice to see an original idea... even if two people have it

Old 04-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Old 04-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did the metalizer to my front grill with the glossifier and I really like it, hopefully it holds up to the 2000 highway miles I do a month.. I also just used the glossifer over the decklid chrome and it looks better then flashy OEM chrome.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Plasti dipping all chrome...not the usual black