G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Leak in my '07 G35x

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 10:01 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Leak in my '07 G35x

Today I was cleaning out the car and had the floor mats pulled to vacuum everything. While working on the driver side of the car I noticed a nasty smell and that the carpet was wet in the front and rear floors. At this point I was really frustrated because this is not my first go around with a leaky car. The last 3 cars i've owned before this one had issues with water leaking into the driver side floor boards. Problems ranged from leaky door sills, sunroofs ans the HVAC drain.

I started by leaving the rear floor mat out so that it can start to dry. I pulled the plastic finish pieces off near the bottom door sills so I could pull the carpet back some. When I did I found just damp floors in the rear but the front there was a puddle of water about 2 inches deep. In the floor board near the door sill there is a deep section that is filled with a Styrofoam block. This is where my mini-pond is forming. There are water marks where the water has been higher then it is now, but from what little I could see, there were no "run" marks indicated where if it were running down the left side of the firewall. I cant believe this has been an issue with the car for a long time, since i'm sure there would have been rust formation of some sort at this point and I cant see any at all.

I'm beyond pissed at this point because I traded a car off with this problem and got another in return for the fourth time! Sad ****, but I guess that's what I get for buying used. I cant afford a new G at this point in my life though. Since I have much experience in these repairs so far I have started troubleshooting and narrowing things out. The sunroof drains are not clogged. There are no water marks on any parts of the pillars or headliner. The trunk is completely dry, so its not coming from there. All of the door sills "seem" to be in good shape but I don't want to rule those out until I pull the carpet to trouble shoot extensively.

My question now is, Does anyone know where exactly the HVAC drain is on these cars? And if it is accessible from either the driver or passenger side floor boards? Where is it supposed to run out on the bottom of the car?

I SERIOUSLY am NOT looking forward to taking the interior out to get the carpet out. Sigh.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
My 2007 G35s has something similar. The last time I washed my car, I noticed a puddle of water on the front passenger side rubber mat. Still have to troubleshoot that.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:22 PM
I may call the dealer to get the location of the drain before I pull the carpet. I ran the AC for 30 minutes today and couldn't find any drainage coming from under the car. I'm hoping that's the problem and not a windshield or body weld problem.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Finally found the source of my leak. Wanted to for sure post where it was coming from in case any other members have this issue. Because so far I've found little source of help (even when searching) on this forum. This place is much different then the other forums I've attended. Not bad different, just seems less informative and helpful.

The bottom picture, at the top left of it is where my water is coming in. The black, dirty looking stuff around the grommet is what is all in my floor board. The only time it comes inks when it rains hard or when I wash the car. I tried pressing it in more around the edges but it seems it's warped or disformed. I think I'm going to get a clear outdoor waterproof silicone caulk and put around the edges. Help make a better seal. That's the only fix I can think of, because replacing that grommet myself is out of the question. Haha.

Name:  466b7b98.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  55.5 KB
Name:  1149a14b.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  66.7 KB
Name:  a6be8ee8.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  53.3 KB

The following 3 users liked this post by kristof:
2014g35x (02-24-2016), matts08x (03-18-2012), mishmosh (03-18-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Had this same issue. But it was because of a **** install job on my subs, the gromet was left hanging out. Get a sealant of some sort.... dont know the name but its like black paste. works wonders.

Last edited by jbrueggemann84; 03-20-2012 at 12:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mishmosh (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by KyLex06
Finally found the source of my leak. Wanted to for sure post where it was coming from in case any other members have this issue. Because so far I've found little source of help (even when searching) on this forum. This place is much different then the other forums I've attended. Not bad different, just seems less informative and helpful.

The bottom picture, at the top left of it is where my water is coming in. The black, dirty looking stuff around the grommet is what is all in my floor board. The only time it comes inks when it rains hard or when I wash the car. I tried pressing it in more around the edges but it seems it's warped or disformed. I think I'm going to get a clear outdoor waterproof silicone caulk and put around the edges. Help make a better seal. That's the only fix I can think of, because replacing that grommet myself is out of the question. Haha.

Sorry, but from this description, I'm still not clear where the leak is. Is is really coming from behind the brake booster (upper left)? Where exactly is the "black dirty looking stuff around the grommet" you're referring to? I see black residue traces, suggesting drainage coming down from the two metal 'tabs' that are welded to the body in the upper right and upper center of the picture (mostly covered by the three black tubes running horizontally), that appears to drain down to the cable pass-through located just to the right of dead center. I'm pretty sure those tabs are the feet of the wiper motor bracket or something. That little round grommet (just left and down from dead center) looks to be where the clutch hydraulics would pass through on the 6MT. It is awfully tight quarters to be working in there though.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
I know you are not trying to be insulting. If this forum seems to be "less informative and helpful" then it can only surmise that it is because you are experiencing some rare problems that no one hear has dealt with.
This is one of the most helpful car forums I've been a part of.
Sorry if your you are not having much luck.

That being said, thank you for posting about this problem and fix. You probably just helped the next person this may happen too. I guess that makes this forum helpful, yet again

Edit: This guy had the same problem, opposite side
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...ger-floor.html

Last edited by rpm&my_G35; 03-20-2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: added link
mishmosh (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by jbrueggemann84
Had this same issue. But it was because of a **** install job on my subs, the gromet was left hanging out. Get a sealant of some sort.... dont know the name but its like black paste. works wonders.
Already sealed it with clear out door multi purpose caulk.

Originally Posted by vqsmile
Sorry, but from this description, I'm still not clear where the leak is. Is is really coming from behind the brake booster (upper left)? Where exactly is the "black dirty looking stuff around the grommet" you're referring to? I see black residue traces, suggesting drainage coming down from the two metal 'tabs' that are welded to the body in the upper right and upper center of the picture (mostly covered by the three black tubes running horizontally), that appears to drain down to the cable pass-through located just to the right of dead center. I'm pretty sure those tabs are the feet of the wiper motor bracket or something. That little round grommet (just left and down from dead center) looks to be where the clutch hydraulics would pass through on the 6MT. It is awfully tight quarters to be working in there though.
Sorry, I was backwards on my description. The big grommet on the RIGHT. lol here's a pic.
Name:  f4989051.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  26.2 KB

Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
I know you are not trying to be insulting. If this forum seems to be "less informative and helpful" then it can only surmise that it is because you are experiencing some rare problems that no one hear has dealt with.
This is one of the most helpful car forums I've been a part of.
Sorry if your you are not having much luck.

That being said, thank you for posting about this problem and fix. You probably just helped the next person this may happen too. I guess that makes this forum helpful, yet again

Edit: This guy had the same problem, opposite side
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...ger-floor.html
Nope, wasn't being insulting. The responses are just different here then most forums I've been on. Then again this is a newer platform then any other car I've worked with.

And yes, I like helping that's why I figured I'd post my findings.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:44 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
Thanks to both of you. I'm going to check the grommet on the passenger side. Probably related to the sub wiring I put in a couple of years back. I hate it when problems crop up that result from my modding!

Old 03-20-2012, 08:49 PM
I am glad it was an easy fix! Dealing with the A/C drain in my last few cars was a head ache and I did not want to go through that again. At first I thought I was going to need to take the carpet out, and at that thought I did not like. I have no idea how to get this car torn apart yet, and have not acquired a service manual to read over. First car Ive ever owned with the gas pedal attached to the floor From just glancing at it, i didnt see how it comes out.

All in due time though. I'm sure i'll get to tear into it sooner or later.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by KyLex06

I have no idea how to get this car torn apart yet, and have not acquired a service manual to read over.

First car Ive ever owned with the gas pedal attached to the floor From just glancing at it, i didnt see how it comes out.

http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/local_links.php?catid=7

https://g35driver.com/forums/6374771-post2.html

kristof (03-20-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Just to confirm: Leak fixed. It stormed bad last night and I went out this morning to find my car all dry inside. The silicone caulk around that grommet helped! Yessir. Can put my trim pieces back on now.