G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Break Squeal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nate503
Hey all,

As some of you already know, I just recently purchased a used 2007 G35S sedan. This last weekend I decided to hand wash it. Shortly after washing it I've noticed the brakes now seem to squeal. It only squeals at a certain part during the brake process - right before I come to a complete stop and after I've already slowed down quite a bit. Hopefully that makes sense. It squeals in the middle of the braking process somewhere. I don't hear it when I'm in motion or when I first start braking.

It's been like this for a couple days now. Any idea on what it could be and if it is something I should get looked at (I'm thinking I'm going to have to).

Thanks again guys!
Mine squeal when I put my car in reverse. My guess is that Midas installed some BS pads on my car.

Going to have the dealership look at it when I stop in to get my belts checked. I also have a ticking noise coming from the engine at low speeds (5-10mph).

Old 04-27-2012, 11:30 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I checked my brake pads today...seems like front left is more worn than right. My guess is, the caliper spring has trouble letting go when pressed, which explains the squeaking and the wear...

I'm kind curious if this is what could have cause my tranny to over heat and leak... driving with a brake pad on at highspeeds prolly taxed the tranny hard...

Old 04-28-2012, 12:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Sure can.

Plus, you can search here, google it in general, look up the ITB on Infinitihelp.com and read it and every other bulletin for your car. It's legit.
So I'm guessing I should have it checked by the dealer then?

Old 04-28-2012, 02:14 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
check if your VIN falls under the affected ones in the TSB on infinitihelp.com, cause if your vin is not on there then the dealer wont perform the service under warranty or otherwise

Old 04-28-2012, 02:24 AM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBaronK
I checked my brake pads today...seems like front left is more worn than right. My guess is, the caliper spring has trouble letting go when pressed, which explains the squeaking and the wear...

I'm kind curious if this is what could have cause my tranny to over heat and leak... driving with a brake pad on at highspeeds prolly taxed the tranny hard...
I'm not sure what you mean by "caliper spring" and/or "letting go". The only "spring" action I know of is the the wire clip that connects to the pads and applies tension to hold the pads apart when not applying the brakes. Even at their best though, they are not expected to do any more than just allow the wheels to spin with less drag from the pads; it's more a nuanced gas saving type measure. If you are experiencing pad wear more on one side than the other, I suspect the slide pins are more to blame, or perhaps even the piston, but that's less likely. Were the pins cleaned and lubed when the brakes were last worked on?

So I'm guessing I should have it checked by the dealer then?
You could, but your car is likely past the factory warranty coverage, so unless you have an Infiniti extended warranty, it's not likely they will cover anything for free. Remember, it's NOT a recall; it's just a recommended plan of action from the factory to their service techs to streamline the troubleshooting of familiar problems. Theoretically, anyone qualified to service brakes could perform the actions in those ITBs; it need not be the dealership.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:35 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I meant the pins... didn't know what it was called... the slide pin is the part that determines the pressure applied and released from the pads correct?

I was gonna go to a different dealership, but I have to ask them if the pads will be replaced under warranty if it turns out to be worn from the pins, or if they will say some bull crap and make me pay. I would assume if the pin caused premature wear, it should be covered

Old 04-28-2012, 03:04 AM
Originally Posted by RedBaronK

I meant the pins... didn't know what it was called... the slide pin is the part that determines the pressure applied and released from the pads correct?

I was gonna go to a different dealership, but I have to ask them if the pads will be replaced under warranty if it turns out to be worn from the pins, or if they will say some bull crap and make me pay. I would assume if the pin caused premature wear, it should be covered
Well, the piston is actually what pushes out from one side of the caliper toward the opposite side and compresses (sandwiches) the pads against the rotor as they are caught in the middle of that squeeze. Since the force is applied from one side though, to avoid primarily one-sided pad wear as a result, the caliper must "float' freely on the guide pins to center the forces evenly on both pads. If the pins become sticky and impede that freedom of caliper movement to equalize the clamping forces against the pads, then uneven wear typically occurs.

If you just had a brake job done recently and you can show that the pins are sticky and binding and causing uneven pad wear, then you may well have a legitimate beef with the original dealer (A different dealership would probably not be to excited for that business). If it has been a while though, and many thousands of miles, I'd be surprised if they didn't try and blame it on normal wear and tear. The problem is, you have to let them diagnose the car to verify it for themselves and you'll likely pay for that, so they're already into you for money. If they say it wasn't the cause, you're out the money and no closer to having it fixed unless you pay even more. It's a gamble and not a good one unless the brakes were just done recently.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:15 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "caliper spring" and/or "letting go". The only "spring" action I know of is the the wire clip that connects to the pads and applies tension to hold the pads apart when not applying the brakes. Even at their best though, they are not expected to do any more than just allow the wheels to spin with less drag from the pads; it's more a nuanced gas saving type measure. If you are experiencing pad wear more on one side than the other, I suspect the slide pins are more to blame, or perhaps even the piston, but that's less likely. Were the pins cleaned and lubed when the brakes were last worked on?

You could, but your car is likely past the factory warranty coverage, so unless you have an Infiniti extended warranty, it's not likely they will cover anything for free. Remember, it's NOT a recall; it's just a recommended plan of action from the factory to their service techs to streamline the troubleshooting of familiar problems. Theoretically, anyone qualified to service brakes could perform the actions in those ITBs; it need not be the dealership.
I'm definitely not expecting it to be free. I know it's not under warranty anymore - I just figured they would be the place to go to have this corrected.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:33 PM
This seems to be the TSB that would refer to my issue:

Subject: SB G35/G37; Front Brake Noise
Summary of ITB11050:
IF YOU CONFIRM While traveling forward or backward at a slow speed, a squeal or sqeak noise is coming from the front brakes when braking. ACTION Replace both front brake caliper sliding pins (one on each side of the vehicle) with the ones listedin the Parts Information of this bulletin. See this bulletin for further details.

However, I can't tell whether or not the squeal noise is isolated to the front brakes. How's the best way to tell.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:42 PM

However, I can't tell whether or not the squeal noise is isolated to the front brakes. How's the best way to tell.
Find a quiet, open, isolated parking lot (or stretch of road), preferably with smooth paving, then roll down all the windows and stick your head out while braking. At slow speeds the wind noise shouldn't be a factor, so you should be able to discern if it's coming more from one end or the other. Alternatively, you could have someone drive for you while you either listen from outside, as they drive by, or inside from with your head well out of the window.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:18 PM
Find a quiet, open, isolated parking lot (or stretch of road), preferably with smooth paving, then roll down all the windows and stick your head out while braking. At slow speeds the wind noise shouldn't be a factor, so you should be able to discern if it's coming more from one end or the other. Alternatively, you could have someone drive for you while you either listen from outside, as they drive by, or inside from with your head well out of the window.
Also, how can I see tr parts information in these bulletins? I couldn't figure it out.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Also, how can I see tr parts information in these bulletins? I couldn't figure it out.
My guess is that you either didn't register on the site, or you didn't log in. When you are logged in, the ITB listing becomes a click-able link to download the documentation on it in pdf form. If you haven't logged in, I think it just shows a tiny padlock symbol next to the ITB listing.

http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/loca...1420&catid=348

Old 04-29-2012, 01:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the same exact issue just like how you described it but i just bump my music so i ignore it.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by Mike45
I have the same exact issue just like how you described it but i just bump my music so i ignore it.
Haha. That's what I've been doing. Except te weather is getting nicer so I have my windows down and can hear it loud and clear. Definitely want to take care of it.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:59 PM
My guess is that you either didn't register on the site, or you didn't log in. When you are logged in, the ITB listing becomes a click-able link to download the documentation on it in pdf form. If you haven't logged in, I think it just shows a tiny padlock symbol next to the ITB listing.

http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/loca...1420&catid=348
Thanks man. I forgot to verify my registration. Was able to open it up. Looks like a pretty simple fix of it is just my front brakes. The front brakes caliper sliding pins need to be replaced with the ones they list. Anyone have an idea what that would cost me roughly? If I take it in to te dealership or elsewhere.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Break Squeal