Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 01:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
thank you!

Old 05-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blnewt
I've tried googling for pics of black tailpipes w/ no luck either
I may just take the leap & give it a shot. My G37 w/ stainless cans and tips stand out against my pretty much blacked-out G, it looks fine as is, but blacking out the cans & tips should go pretty well w/ the rest of the car. I'm thinking about using VHT caliper paint, it's worked well for my brakes so I assume it should be fine on the exhaust. I've got some extra gloss black vinyl laying around so I may lay it on there for a mock up to see if I like the look then paint it if I like it. If I get that vinyl on I'll post pics for a reference

Anyone else w/ pics or have tried this??
blnewt, here's a picture of your car from the rear as is, and a shopped version of that picture with the cans and the tips blackened.

IDK about looks... it's OK, I suppose. But in order to do it up right, you'd need to drop the axel-back and set it aside for proper painting.

I think the cans would look fine in flat black. As for the tips... they might look OK, or they might just end up looking filthy and unmaintained, instead of painted. Unless you could paint the tips gloss black. Would that hold up? Is that do-able? IDK.

Anyway, here's the shop you were asking me for.

The following users liked this post:
blnewt (05-03-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
That really looks nice, I think that may be exactly what I will do, still keep the stainless tips shiny but paint the cans, really cleans up the back end visually. Wondering how well that paint will stick to stainless, you think it will hold up?
I stole soundmike's idea and painted the cans of my invidia as well. The paint is still holding strong over a year later except where I scraped the bottom of the muffler on a parking curb. I used #1 steel wool to roughen the surface, then mineral spirits to remove oil, finally the bbq paint.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:41 AM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
blnewt, here's a picture of your car from the rear as is, and a shopped version of that picture with the cans and the tips blackened.

IDK about looks... it's OK, I suppose. But in order to do it up right, you'd need to drop the axel-back and set it aside for proper painting.

I think the cans would look fine in flat black. As for the tips... they might look OK, or they might just end up looking filthy and unmaintained, instead of painted. Unless you could paint the tips gloss black. Would that hold up? Is that do-able? IDK.

Anyway, here's the shop you were asking me for.
John, thanks a bunch for taking the time to do that. I think it's cans black FTW, and leave the tips as is. Just the tips silver is a nice contrast and the black cans stay in the background rather than taking center stage

Old 05-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John, thanks a bunch for taking the time to do that. I think it's cans black FTW, and leave the tips as is. Just the tips silver is a nice contrast and the black cans stay in the background rather than taking center stage
You're welcome, Brad. And I agree... paint the cans black, but leave the tips alone.

And here's a related idea: paint the lower section of the rear bumper in flat black. It will create a contrast with the glossy black, but still compliment things. Do you know what I mean?

You're clearly looking for ideas that make your car unique without being gaudy, so it's something to consider if you haven't already.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:48 AM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
I used BBQ grill paint and it's held up better than i expected --- no cracks, peels or scrapes.

I did, however, rough up the cans with fine grit sandpaper prior.

+1 I use grill paint on all my cars' xhaust several years no chipping.