G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Squeaks, rattles and...what the..!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Squeaks, rattles and...what the..!

I'm at my wits end on this one, and for all I know it may just be a known issue, manufacturer's problem, whatever, but maybe you all have had similar issues with these rattles:

'08 G35x 39.5k on sport 18's

- Passenger "side" seems to get a rattle coming from either the pillars, or the passenger door, or maybe, perhaps, the glovebox, though it seems tight when I pushed on it, no play. Sounds like a loose CD case or something, it's noticeable over a moderately bumpy road, annoying, but somewhat tolerable.

- Passenger seat/Headrest. This one is noticeable. Sounds like metal on plastic, and it rattles over uneven roads. What I noticed is that when I push DOWN on the headrest, or I tilt it forward, the sound disappears. So it seems as though the headrest may be lose, but with the car parked, I noticed no play, and I can not replicate the sound.

- Front driver dash gets a squeak, as if I were rubbing 2 pieces of plastic or rubber, or if I had a pack of rats chewing the dash from the inside! That one is noticeable, since it's right in front of the driver. I can push on the dash, door trim, not sure exactly where it's coming from, but seems to be above the air vent, where the dash meets the pillar, or where the dash meets the cluster bezel.

Of course, the dealer has not been able to duplicate the issue!

Car's under full warranty till August, and I have the Elite for another 60k, though it doesn't cover rattles, squeaks, and so on..

Thoughts? WD40 all joints? Get an M37? haha. All comments welcome

Old 05-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I get a few squeaks from the dash area but only on the coldest of winter days. In the warmer weather, I hear nothing.
If the passenger seat is set to just the right angle, it will rattle. Moving it slightly in one direction or the other helps.
The only other rattle I ever get is from my glasses being in the above sunglasses holder. Other than that, I guess I've been lucky. (knock on rosewood)

Old 05-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by mroadster2k
I'm at my wits end on this one, and for all I know it may just be a known issue, manufacturer's problem, whatever, but maybe you all have had similar issues with these rattles:

'08 G35x 39.5k on sport 18's

- Passenger "side" seems to get a rattle coming from either the pillars, or the passenger door, or maybe, perhaps, the glovebox, though it seems tight when I pushed on it, no play. Sounds like a loose CD case or something, it's noticeable over a moderately bumpy road, annoying, but somewhat tolerable.
its a common sound when the unit where you latch the passenger seat belt is 'free' basically if you push the unit down so that its snug in between the pass seat and the center console when no one is sitting there then that should fix it, apparently there are some metal ***** in the unit that rattle

- Passenger seat/Headrest. This one is noticeable. Sounds like metal on plastic, and it rattles over uneven roads. What I noticed is that when I push DOWN on the headrest, or I tilt it forward, the sound disappears. So it seems as though the headrest may be lose, but with the car parked, I noticed no play, and I can not replicate the sound.
common issue as well, one person stuffed a thick piece of foam in between the back plastic and the rear of the pass seat and it fixed the issue, while one person applied some thin felt tape on the bottom of the headrest rods and that cured it

- Front driver dash gets a squeak, as if I were rubbing 2 pieces of plastic or rubber, or if I had a pack of rats chewing the dash from the inside! That one is noticeable, since it's right in front of the driver. I can push on the dash, door trim, not sure exactly where it's coming from, but seems to be above the air vent, where the dash meets the pillar, or where the dash meets the cluster bezel.

It might be windshield cowl rubbing sound which is common, check out this DIY to fix it, ifThats the problem

Of course, the dealer has not been able to duplicate the issue!

Car's under full warranty till August, and I have the Elite for another 60k, though it doesn't cover rattles, squeaks, and so on..

Thoughts? WD40 all joints? Get an M37? haha. All comments welcome
WD40 doesnt last, hit them with some silicone spray and it will quiet things up and actually last for quite a while and is water resistant
Obviously all these 'fixes' will only work if you have the same issues, and considering that these are very common problems in almost all Gs its a good bet that following above stated DIY will help u eliminate majority of the noises... hopefully!

The following users liked this post:
mroadster2k (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
i just crank up the music

but yeah, depends on temp and driving condition, there are Squeaks and rattles here or there ...