G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Cheap Exhaust Mod Idea.... Need Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Exhaust

As promised, here is my completed muffler delete. I went to a local shop a few hours ago and got new pipes welded in as well as new tips. They put in new hangers to fit the new piping as well. The sound did bump up a little bit louder with the piping, but it still isn't ridiculously loud. This gave me the sound I wanted at a 1/4 of the price of a full cat back. No rasp, deep VQ sound.

Now picture time!

Before: (Mufflers are off, pipes are directed towards rear wheels, it caused a burning smell to arise, was worried it might be melting some things underneath so I decided to get the piping done asap. Sorry for blurry pics!)

After:

Overall, I am very satisfied with looks, sound, affordability.

The following 2 users liked this post by 0735S:
muyrec (06-07-2012), raymondgor (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good! And sounds just like mine, I don't have solid piping like you and I feel like mine has a little rasp (but that just could be mine having a s**tty clamp or something) could you post a vid after you had the solid pipe put on I might wanna switch mine over If it sounds better/ different. Def the best way to achieve a nice sound on a tight budget IMO.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:10 AM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
That smell you were smelling were the fumes going into the vents behind the rear wheels. You can see them by raising the trunk mat and look into those wells.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by gvehicl2005
Looks good! And sounds just like mine, I don't have solid piping like you and I feel like mine has a little rasp (but that just could be mine having a s**tty clamp or something) could you post a vid after you had the solid pipe put on I might wanna switch mine over If it sounds better/ different. Def the best way to achieve a nice sound on a tight budget IMO.
I also noticed rasp when I didn't have the pipes. I just put up a video of it without the pipes, ill try to get a new video up asap with the pipes put on.

or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UfGV...ature=youtu.be
(Not sure how to embem :/ )

Originally Posted by muyrec
That smell you were smelling were the fumes going into the vents behind the rear wheels. You can see them by raising the trunk mat and look into those wells.
It didn't smell like exhaust fumes, more of a burning plastic/rubber smell. I also was able to smell it while standing outside of the car, if that means anything. All I know is once I got the pipes put on, the smell went away lol. I'd rather not be worrying about the smells/having to deal with fumes.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
nice job, those pipes look great. cant wait to do the same with mine... how heavy are the stock mufflers?

Old 06-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Could some write up a DIY? So I can see how difficult it is to become a grease monkey? Also does anyone know how much it could cost to get the resonators removed in Boston area? jw

Old 06-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
I thought removing mufflers and using a straight through pipe is illegal in most states, and you'll most likely fail inspection which means you're going to have to put them back on.

I also heard that you'll lose engine power because your car will be running lean due to reduced back flow pressure, even though your ECU will try to correct.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
I thought removing mufflers and using a straight through pipe is illegal in most states, and you'll most likely fail inspection which means you're going to have to put them back on.

I also heard that you'll lose engine power because your car will be running lean due to reduced back flow pressure, even though your ECU will try to correct.
I've heard mixed responses whether it's illegal. I do understand if it's too loud than it's technically illegal, and I've also read that it's apparently a law at least in Cali to remove the mufflers.... but when the time comes to get a smog, i'll go to a "underground" shop. People say it's different depending on who you take it to, some care, others don't even look under the car.
As for power, the shop owner said it would help open up flow because of all the restrictions we already have, as well as the pipe size creates enough backpressure. I haven't noticed any difference in power.

Originally Posted by freakta
nice job, those pipes look great. cant wait to do the same with mine... how heavy are the stock mufflers?
Thanks! They are about 5-10 pounds each, i'm really bad at estimating weight lol They can easily be held with one hand let's leave it at that. Using some sort of support while undoing the hangars would be helpful. I used a simple stool and seat cushion and it kept it from falling on me while working underneath the car.

Originally Posted by krazyket
Could some write up a DIY? So I can see how difficult it is to become a grease monkey? Also does anyone know how much it could cost to get the resonators removed in Boston area? jw
It is a very easy mod. I can give you a basic diy, but it be quite vague lol.

Tools needed:
Ratchet
10mm socket
12mm deep socket
WD-40
Ziploc Plastic Bag(s)

Instructions:
1. If you have access to jack/jack stands go ahead and lift rear of car. Be sure to chock front wheels! It is not necessary to lift the car, but quite helpful, I did it on the ground perfectly fine.

2. Locate the exhaust pipe clamp where the muffler connects to the resonated pipe. It should look like a heavy duty hose clamp thing.

3. Note that each clamp should have a 12mm bolt, and a 10mm nut, or vice versa I cannot remember lol.

4. Place the 12mm/10mm socket/wrench onto the bolt side.(I don't remember the correct size) THE NUT IS WELDED! With that being said, you have to undo the bolt, and not the nut.

5. Once that bolt is out, the clamp should come apart in two pieces. Keep them in a bag and label them!

6. At this point, it is highly recommended to support the muffler with something sturdy. Make sure the muffler is resting on it before continuing.

7. Next, move to the rear of the car, and just before the bumper, above the tailpipe should be a hanger. It is easiest to just undo the hanger. There are two bolts holding it in, I don't know sizes, should be 10mm/12mm.

8. The last hanger can be reached from behind the tire. So if you are taking off the driver's side muffler, go to the driver's side rear tire, you should be able to see a hanger towards the rear of the car in the fender well. There is only one bolt holding that in. Place in bag/label.

9. Now the muffler is completely unbolted, if you don't have anything supporting it, you would probably have had the muffler fallen on you by now. Move the supporting structure out of the way while using your hand to hold up the muffler. Then pull towards the rear of the car to slide pipe out of the resonator piping.

10. Make sure to get the metal gasket that is in between the two pipes on each side, otherwise it may fall off when driving or rattle because it's stuck on your pipe.

11. Repeat for the other side.

12. Enjoy your new muffler delete

The following 2 users liked this post by 0735S:
krazyket (06-15-2012), takeapieandrun (06-11-2014)
Old 06-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
heres my video as well... i love it

Old 06-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That sounds great man! Dumb question but do our cars have a mid muffler or just the two rear mufflers? And if they do have a mid, did you remove that also?

Old 06-10-2012, 04:29 PM
cant wait to do this... was thinking of a nice looking tip to put on. want to keep mufflers together to swap back and forth

Old 06-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by TaBzRx
That sounds great man! Dumb question but do our cars have a mid muffler or just the two rear mufflers? And if they do have a mid, did you remove that also?
our cars have two separate resonators on each pipe before connecting to the rear mufflers

Old 06-10-2012, 11:04 PM
removing the resonator is always a bad idea

Old 06-15-2012, 12:02 PM
ok so im gonna do the delete before the show tonight haha should be fun

Old 06-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by freakta
ok so im gonna do the delete before the show tonight haha should be fun
You won't be disappointed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cheap Exhaust Mod Idea.... Need Help