G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

2007 g35x sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by gerschman
Yah, its just powertrain. The steering wheel paint chipping isn't that bad, but I'm sure it'll get worse.
Not just the steering wheel, but the door trim panels also gets scratched easily, especially if you wear a wedding band/ring. I had to get that replaced too along with the steering wheel.

I'm referring to the spot on the door where the power window buttons are with the handle indent...people grab that with the left hand and if there's a ring, the paint will chip off. I had the door trims replaced by the dealer and they put a better designed door trim panel so it doesn't scratch. They actually updated that in the 2009 models and later and replaced it with plastic instead. There's also the rubber molding that comes off easily from the door that me and others have experienced.

I should also tell you that I've seen these cars have power steering rack leak quite often, so you should check that too and make sure the power steering fluid isn't low. Also, at that mileage, I'm pretty sure one of the wheel bearings will start to go, so also take a quick test on the bearings. Also, you should check the serpentine belt and see if there is any wear on them. I had to get mine replaced after 35k miles at the dealer because it was getting worn and the tensioner was bad so it caused premature wear.

These are the problems I had and heard others have while owning this car. My car is now at 66k miles, and the engine/tranny still runs great and the interior is pristine, except for the scratched shift ****, but that's easily replaceable. This is why I wanted to get my car with full bumper to bumper coverage because I know since it was a first gen production sedan in the v36 series, there will be some problems.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 06-15-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
Not just the steering wheel, but the door trim panels also gets scratched easily, especially if you wear a wedding band/ring. I had to get that replaced too along with the steering wheel.

I'm referring to the spot on the door where the power window buttons are with the handle indent...people grab that with the left hand and if there's a ring, the paint will chip off. I had the door trims replaced by the dealer and they put a better designed door trim panel so it doesn't scratch. They actually updated that in the 2009 models and later and replaced it with plastic instead. There's also the rubber molding that comes off easily from the door that me and others have experienced.

I should also tell you that I've seen these cars have power steering rack leak quite often, so you should check that too and make sure the power steering fluid isn't low. Also, at that mileage, I'm pretty sure one of the wheel bearings will start to go, so also take a quick test on the bearings. Also, you should check the serpentine belt and see if there is any wear on them. I had to get mine replaced after 35k miles at the dealer because it was getting worn and the tensioner was bad so it caused premature wear.

These are the problems I had and heard others have while owning this car. My car is now at 66k miles, and the engine/tranny still runs great and the interior is pristine, except for the scratched shift ****, but that's easily replaceable. This is why I wanted to get my car with full bumper to bumper coverage because I know since it was a first gen production sedan in the v36 series, there will be some problems.
WOW! Thank you for the advice! Actaully, yes - they are replacing the door handle insert as it is quite scratched up. I'll have them check the serpentine belt and the power steering as well.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:37 AM
WOW! Thank you for the advice! Actaully, yes - they are replacing the door handle insert as it is quite scratched up. I'll have them check the serpentine belt and the power steering as well.
Also, I'm not sure since you don't have the wood trim, but my wood trim also started to warp during the winter months, so it was peeling off the door.

I suspect that is due to the cold winters and hot summers, where the trim expanded and contracted and caused it to peel off, and I was pretty sure the integrated subwoofer shaking the door didn't help either...lol...

Just make sure you test drive it well, and all fluids are maintained, and also, check the brake pad life as well as the tire tread! When I bought mine at the dealer, my brake pads were almost worn out and the tires had to be replaced! That's just routine maintenance check though. I remember I had a lot of stuff done to my car to keep it in mint condition...If i remember some more I'll let you know. I also remembered the dealer had to replace my parking light bulb (the small orange light on the side next to headlight because it was out.)

Old 06-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
Also, I'm not sure since you don't have the wood trim, but my wood trim also started to warp during the winter months, so it was peeling off the door.

I suspect that is due to the cold winters and hot summers, where the trim expanded and contracted and caused it to peel off, and I was pretty sure the integrated subwoofer shaking the door didn't help either...lol...

Just make sure you test drive it well, and all fluids are maintained, and also, check the brake pad life as well as the tire tread! When I bought mine at the dealer, my brake pads were almost worn out and the tires had to be replaced! That's just routine maintenance check though. I remember I had a lot of stuff done to my car to keep it in mint condition...If i remember some more I'll let you know. I also remembered the dealer had to replace my parking light bulb (the small orange light on the side next to headlight because it was out.)
You sound like me! I'm quite **** with keeping my cars up (or ahead) on maintenance! I drove it twice and put it thru its paces. It seems to be running quite well. Tires look relatively new as well and brake pads look to be appx 25% worn. No wood trim on my car. Hopefully they will do a quick check of all the lights n such as well. I had a 2005 Nissan Altima SE-R before this and it, too, had similar issues with belts, rotors warpage, and wheel bearings. I'm sure I can find this elsewhere on these forums, but what size tires are you rolling? I'm thinking that as soon as its time for tires - which will probably be a while - I'm going to 245/45s or 245/50s - if there's too much of a gap with the 45 aspect ratio.
Thanks again for all your advice!

Old 06-15-2012, 10:58 AM
You sound like me! I'm quite **** with keeping my cars up (or ahead) on maintenance! I drove it twice and put it thru its paces. It seems to be running quite well. Tires look relatively new as well and brake pads look to be appx 25% worn. No wood trim on my car. Hopefully they will do a quick check of all the lights n such as well. I had a 2005 Nissan Altima SE-R before this and it, too, had similar issues with belts, rotors warpage, and wheel bearings. I'm sure I can find this elsewhere on these forums, but what size tires are you rolling? I'm thinking that as soon as its time for tires - which will probably be a while - I'm going to 245/45s or 245/50s - if there's too much of a gap with the 45 aspect ratio.
Thanks again for all your advice!
I'm not sure, but I keep my tires stock- 225/55R17, and I always buy from Costco or Sears depending which is cheaper. Having a thinner gap between tire and the rim could subject the rim to damage if you hit a pothole, so I prefer a thicker gap between the tread and the rim because the roads here in the northeast are terrible and riddled with holes from snowplows. However, the car is stock at 55, so I kept it that way.

In my experience, I would only go with Michelin, Bridgestone, or Goodyear, and I would stay away from Falken tires. I think my dealer uses Kumho tires though as replacement, so they should be okay too...

Tire size is different if you have the sport package though.