G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

vibrations at 75+

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm not sure where everyone gets these issues with vibrations...

Do you guys mod your suspension or anything in any way? Mine has been perfect since stock and I have 66k miles on it. The only thing that could contribute to the problem is bad wheel bearings, because I heard people having problems with those. Once I got my wheel bearing replaced, the car is as smooth as butter when traveling at high speeds...

Of course the other issues may be due to pothole incidents, curbed wheels, etc...where your rims could suffer some damage or suspension components...I think Lexus has a more prone to breakage when I hit potholes than the G did...I've hit curbs much harder on the G than the Lexus and my Lexus suffered a lot more damage and my G was fine...

My terrible experience on my Falken tires were on my Lexus ES350, but once I switched to Michelin MXM4, then everything was smooth as butter too.

The interesting thing is that most mechanics don't really check wheel bearings/wheel problems the way Infiniti stealerships do.. When I had to get my wheel bearing replaced they had a guy in my AWD car and revved the engine to 60mph while on a lift while the other mechanic used a screwdriver to test each wheel humming/vibration while each wheel was spinning at high speeds. Other places I've been to do not use that method, which could probably explain why they say it's fine. Our cars are pretty sensitive in each wheel.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 06-11-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
I just drive 60 on the highway so my teeth don't fall out

Old 06-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
I'm not sure where everyone gets these issues with vibrations...

... The only thing that could contribute to the problem is bad wheel bearings, because I heard people having problems with those. Once I got my wheel bearing replaced, the car is as smooth as butter when traveling at high speeds...

The interesting thing is that most mechanics don't really check wheel bearings/wheel problems the way Infiniti stealerships do.. When I had to get my wheel bearing replaced they had a guy in my AWD car and revved the engine to 60mph while on a lift while the other mechanic used a screwdriver to test each wheel humming/vibration while each wheel was spinning at high speeds. Other places I've been to do not use that method, which could probably explain why they say it's fine. Our cars are pretty sensitive in each wheel.
Besides all the obvious contributors (ie. wheel/tires = bent, imbalanced, out of round, steering and/or suspension issues), I have often suspected the same to be true. This TSB seems to support the notion also. I suspect that perhaps the bearing races are relatively "soft" and susceptible to an imprint after an impact such as potholes, curbing, etc.

http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/loca...p=60&keyid=419

Old 06-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
+1 for Road Force balancing. Even with slightly bent wheels and whatnot you should be able get them to balance pretty nicely. From my experience, this is a huge help.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Do the CV joint and bearings tend to go bad on our cars frequently?

Old 06-13-2012, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by hulkmanj99
Do the CV joint and bearings tend to go bad on our cars frequently?
Bearings yes..but they will make a sound when they are on their way out..can't miss the sound either. I thought my bearings might be my vib issues..but no noise at all

Old 06-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by Anton_Chigurh
Bearings yes..but they will make a sound when they are on their way out..can't miss the sound either. I thought my bearings might be my vib issues..but no noise at all
My bearings didn't make any noise either- the car just rode a bit rough- no vibrations though, but the car did have a funny feeling while driving...but at highway speeds, the engine and tire noise do drown out almost everything. However, the dealer said my bearing was a little worn out, and not nearly as severe as you would usually see it.

Sometimes, the bearings will make a little noise- plus our engines are so loud at highway speeds that it drowns out the noise anyways.

What you should do is what I suggested in the post above- have a friend sit in the car while it is lifted and then rev the engine so the wheels spin. (Hopefully, you have AWD so all wheels spin.) Then, take a screwdriver and tap it against each bearing and see if you can hear any noise/feel a vibration. That is the best way to test it. Using the jiggle the wheel method will only work if the bearings are really bad. Also, the hard right/left turn method also probably only works well if the bearings are also pretty bad.

And also, I suspected that what caused my bearings to go bad was the brake judder that I had experienced for a while. The brake judder is really quite common in our cars and since it causes the wheel to shake, the bearings prematurely wear out quicker. After I got my right front wheel bearing replaced, I replaced all my rotors and brake pads with Hawk Ceramic Performance/Centric Premium Rotors and I haven't had a problem since with braking and/or vibrations.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 06-13-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:50 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I have no vibration issues so far at 77K. Stock suspension. Goodyear Assurance tires. I came from Sumitomos and the road noise was unbearable. I think one of my wheel bearings might be going though.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:01 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
My car has vibration issues as well. 07 x with 85k miles. My suspension needs changed though because my car rides pretty rough when it comes to bad roads so I was thinking it was that. Everything else as far as maintenance that would cause that I've already taken care of.

My car has a few quirky issues that I have yet to figure out and this is one of them. The other main one is the weird jerking the engine/tranny does at low speed and rpm. You can literally see the shifter jerking front to back and feel it in the floor board.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:22 AM
Originally Posted by kristof
My car has vibration issues as well. 07 x with 85k miles. My suspension needs changed though because my car rides pretty rough when it comes to bad roads so I was thinking it was that. Everything else as far as maintenance that would cause that I've already taken care of.

My car has a few quirky issues that I have yet to figure out and this is one of them. The other main one is the weird jerking the engine/tranny does at low speed and rpm. You can literally see the shifter jerking front to back and feel it in the floor board.
what tires are you running..how old...if anyone fixes their vib issues..let us know

Old 06-15-2012, 02:20 AM

If the car rides rough, then it sounds like you have a bearing issue, since that is quite common in our cars. You should get them checked out. Also, I'm not sure about the engine/tranny issue- it could mean that you put the wrong fluid it, or check the fluid level. Have you changed the transmission fluid yet?

Old 06-15-2012, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by Anton_Chigurh
what tires are you running..how old...if anyone fixes their vib issues..let us know
Their new (The brand and model is slipping my mind at the moment) and the issue was there even on the old bald Firestone's that are still on my Stock X wheels.

If the car rides rough, then it sounds like you have a bearing issue, since that is quite common in our cars. You should get them checked out. Also, I'm not sure about the engine/tranny issue- it could mean that you put the wrong fluid it, or check the fluid level. Have you changed the transmission fluid yet?
Ill get the bearings checked out. Is it Usually the front or the back?

Well When I say jerking from the Transmission its not that the Tranny is malfunctioning its that it feels that the whole motor and transmission is moving from front to back like there are worn mounts. I had them checked and the dealer said they were fine and that these cars have never had issues with the mounts wearing out that quick? Also sometimes when I start the car and its idling you can feel the motor "wobbling" from left to right. These issues do not happen all the time but I don't think they are normal because the last G35X I test drove before this car did not do this. Ill have to get a video of it when its doing it because I'm not exaggerating when I say the shifter moves front to back as it looks like its going to pop up into Neutral. Sadly, when I get the Service techs drive the car I cant get the stubborn thing to do it.

And the transmission fluid was changed before I bought the car and I have the service records and all.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:15 PM
Well When I say jerking from the Transmission its not that the Tranny is malfunctioning its that it feels that the whole motor and transmission is moving from front to back like there are worn mounts. I had them checked and the dealer said they were fine and that these cars have never had issues with the mounts wearing out that quick? Also sometimes when I start the car and its idling you can feel the motor "wobbling" from left to right. These issues do not happen all the time but I don't think they are normal because the last G35X I test drove before this car did not do this. Ill have to get a video of it when its doing it because I'm not exaggerating when I say the shifter moves front to back as it looks like its going to pop up into Neutral. Sadly, when I get the Service techs drive the car I cant get the stubborn thing to do it.

And the transmission fluid was changed before I bought the car and I have the service records and all.
No idea, but you should just have the dealer diagnose it to get the easiest answer...that sounds pretty serious. Even with faulty mounts, the engine shouldn't be wobbling that much...my car is smooth and transmission is fine...never had a problem where the shifter moved either...hmmm

Old 06-16-2012, 12:02 AM
No idea, but you should just have the dealer diagnose it to get the easiest answer...that sounds pretty serious. Even with faulty mounts, the engine shouldn't be wobbling that much...my car is smooth and transmission is fine...never had a problem where the shifter moved either...hmmm
Ill get them to go over it again. It does seem serious but Ive not had any bad outcome with it yet and actually just took a 1,300 mile round trip in it with no issues. I'm just picky with my car and I just need confirmation on whether this is something that is broken or not lol

Old 06-16-2012, 12:05 AM
Their new (The brand and model is slipping my mind at the moment) and the issue was there even on the old bald Firestone's that are still on my Stock X wheels.
Do the vibs come and go..or always there..mine come and go

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: vibrations at 75+