G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

08 G35X SEDAN Aftermaket upgrades/hp gains??

Old 07-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
yes the dual intake system on this car is perfect. the only thing you gain from a cai is sound.... dont get me wrong the sound is intoxicating but the gains are negligable.
most will agree
high flow cats are great if you dont mind a bit more rasp and a little bit of a smell but not needed to gain what you are looking for.
no you dont need a catback exhaust for high flow cats. it does help a bit but its not needed.

and the muffler delete is almost only for sound, you wont gain much but its cheap and works well.

but yes i gained exactly what you wanted to gain at the wheels with just some drop ins and a tune.
with the same engine and same drive train

Old 07-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
stillen CBE + R2C + UpRev = happy for a daily driver. debating on adding FI RHFCs

Old 07-06-2012, 09:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
hahaha i dont know what the debate is about... i told him what to get and how much to get it for and have proof of the actual gains he was asking for. i was also under his budget

Old 07-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
No one is debating you, people are just giving different ideas

Old 07-07-2012, 07:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread solved the question of which cold air system for me:

https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-...s-results.html

Short answer - high flow drops ins.

I know from my R33 forced induction days that a HFC and CBE exhaust gave me better mileage and power hands down over the cold air box and pod filter I also fitted. Some might say turbos are different to NA but at the end of the day, the better they breathe, the better they perform.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by freakta
yes the dual intake system on this car is perfect. the only thing you gain from a cai is sound.... dont get me wrong the sound is intoxicating but the gains are negligable.
most will agree
high flow cats are great if you dont mind a bit more rasp and a little bit of a smell but not needed to gain what you are looking for.
no you dont need a catback exhaust for high flow cats. it does help a bit but its not needed.

and the muffler delete is almost only for sound, you wont gain much but its cheap and works well.

but yes i gained exactly what you wanted to gain at the wheels with just some drop ins and a tune.
with the same engine and same drive train
Great thanks man , appreciate it ! Will def look into it very soon

Old 07-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Get a stillen gen 3 intake... And an exhaust with high flow cats and an uprev tune. That wil surely get you to where you want. That's all I would do with bolt ons everything else as far as pulleys would be risky IMO. Working with a grand will probably be not enough for all except two of the parts. G3 intake will run you $500, uprev tune will be between 500-700, exhaust 450-1500, test pipes or HFCs would cost you $300-400 for good ones that are less susceptible to cracking.
Then again it depends if you can find these parts used in still good condition. Hope that helps paatner!

Old 07-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
As far as bang for your 1k. Sign up for the group buy on myg37.com for a set of resonated high flow cats from fast intentions. The RHFC wont really change your exhuast note and don't have the downsides of traditional HFCs. Once you have those installed get a uprev Osiris tune and that should net the most power for your 1k. In the end the goal is to add things that shove more air into the engine and let the exhuast gases leave at a optimum rate. The tune will optimize the "inhale(air in)and exhale (exhuast out)" combination of mods for max power.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Paneraiguy
As far as bang for your 1k. Sign up for the group buy on myg37.com for a set of resonated high flow cats from fast intentions. The RHFC wont really change your exhuast note and don't have the downsides of traditional HFCs. Once you have those installed get a uprev Osiris tune and that should net the most power for your 1k. In the end the goal is to add things that shove more air into the engine and let the exhuast gases leave at a optimum rate. The tune will optimize the "inhale(air in)and exhale (exhuast out)" combination of mods for max power.
how many HP do you think i would gain from the HFCs and uprev tune anddd you dont need a CBE system for these HFCs correct?

Last edited by jordane08; 07-08-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jordane08
how many HP do you think i would gain from the HFCs and uprev tune anddd you dont need a CBE system for these HFCs correct?
Not sure if I have a concrete number I can give you on that. I can tell you they added a good midrange boost to my coupe when installed. I have them on order for my sedan so I can't give a real assessment yet. I am sure some sedan guys who already have them can give you a better idea. You don't need a CBE system to install HFCs. I only have HFC on my coupe and the performance was noticeably better. Not every engine reacts the same way to similar mods but like I said, if you improve the inhale/exhale cycle of an engine you are going to increase its performance. You can run into a situation where you install bolt on stuff that work against each other. This is where a tune can sort out issues such as running to lean or rich to optimize how your mods work together.

CAI should help as much as drop in filters but they can rob you of power if you get one that sucks in lots of hot air/ less dense air(not enough oxygen concentration to create that big explosion in the cyclider we want) from the engine bay. Nothing like finding a way for your engine to breath in nice cold aka dense air...

If you get a stillen gen3 intake notice how hot the metal intake tubes are after a day of driving. I believe there have been guys who have wrapped the tubs with heating insulation to keep the air temps down by mitigating the engine bay heat absorption on the intake tubes.
That may just be good for adding power gain stability rather than increased power gains. That is a 15$ hardware store mode that is truly DYI

Last edited by Paneraiguy; 07-08-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
the only benefits to drop ins are that they are washable and reusable. Drop ins are not going to yield gains. Ive tried K&N, AFE and HKS. End of the day, cheap WICKS was the best.

The following users liked this post:
vqsmile (07-09-2012)
Old 05-31-2018, 01:27 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Paneraiguy
I have an 08 g35X sedan too and I would recommend what I have on mine as I am pretty happy with the results so far.

1.stillen gen 3 intake -$450+
2.ARK grip cat back exhuast - I paid 1000 shipped but they typically are 1200+
3. Fast Intentions resontated HFC(no drone and respectably mature exhuast note)- on order -600 shipped
4. Once I have the high flow cats installed I will tie it all together with an OSIRIS tune. - most likely will cost me 700 at the shop that does it locally

I would think those together should be good for close to 25 to maybe 30hp.

Since you only have 1k to throw in this money pit of stuff you don't need called modding- I recommend scoping out the 2nd gen classified section for a used gen3 intake and getting in on one of the group buys for a set of the fast intentions resonated high flow cats.

There you have it
I literally did just about everything he said with my old 05 Coupe but instead of Fast Intentions HFCs I had the Berks and instead of ARK exhaust I had the Fast Intentions Intimidator.

All in all he's 100% spot on

Old 04-28-2021, 05:45 PM
G35x
IMO, in order to get the most bang for your buck, I wouldn't worry about engine performance upgrades and focus on what will be the most noticeable for the G35x in particular: The Handling! (and then an exhaust, of course)

- Hotchkis 22443 Sport Sway Bar Set ~$500 ; said to improve your handling tremendously

I highly doubt you will feel a huge difference with 25-30whp gains, and even with forced induction, the price to power ratio here is not really worth it when considering a $1000 budget. After the sway bars and exhaust, all that's left essentially is drop in filters, uprev tune, and then wheels-tires-suspension.