G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

ATF Flush $179.99 worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
ATF Flush $179.99 worth it?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I was wondering if it's fine to have a transmission flush done by the Infiniti dealer for $179.99?

Let me know if anyone else has found a dealer willing to do it less near the Boston area. Thanks!

Old 07-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I couldnt tell you how worth it it would be for you because that depends on the condition of your vehicle but as far as the price goes, it sounds about right at the dealership.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Yes because for a vehicle that used to cost over $40K brand new and now just cost around the low $20K's and you don't care coz it's only Money....LoL

Old 07-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Why a dealership?

Old 07-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
how many miles? btw im not sure if you saw a recent post by a member here a while back who posted a infiniti corporate letter to the dealership that i think stated that they should not flush the trannys to avoid damage and perform drain and fill or that it had to be some specific machine that they could use.. or something to that effect, hopefully someone has that bookmarked and can post the link for clarification.

otherwise thats not a bad dealer price considering that the flush uses about ~12-13qt of nissan ATF fluid which alone would cost around ~$100-120 depending where you get it from.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
how many miles? btw im not sure if you saw a recent post by a member here a while back who posted a infiniti corporate letter to the dealership that i think stated that they should not flush the trannys to avoid damage and perform drain and fill or that it had to be some specific machine that they could use.. or something to that effect, hopefully someone has that bookmarked and can post the link for clarification.

otherwise thats not a bad dealer price considering that the flush uses about ~12-13qt of nissan ATF fluid which alone would cost around ~$100-120 depending where you get it from.
I have 67k miles, but I had a transmission service done by a local mechanic about 10k miles ago but used some generic Matic J compatible fluid from Getty. The transmission felt differently, but in no way acting crazy or anything. I'm worried because when I accelerate hard, there would be a slight jerk while shifting across all gears while almost hitting the redline, but this was happening before I changed the fluid 10k miles ago. Before that it was never touched.

However, all my local mechanic did was like drain and fill the fluid.

I'm hoping that a flush won't do any damage to my transmission. Anyone else have any input?

Old 07-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by prinny
Why a dealership?
Because our cars should only take Nissan genuine Matic S or J fluid, and other places don't offer genuine Nissan fluid.

Some places won't even let you bring your own ATF, and even if you could, I've never seen a price that could beat the dealer price I was offered. Even the Nissan dealer nearby wanted $249 for the flush.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
Because our cars should only take Nissan genuine Matic S or J fluid, and other places don't offer genuine Nissan fluid.

Some places won't even let you bring your own ATF, and even if you could, I've never seen a price that could beat the dealer price I was offered. Even the Nissan dealer nearby wanted $249 for the flush.
yup i also seen it offered at 249 but yea i believe to do a flush, the only place you could do it is at the dealership so sucks but you dont have much options

Old 07-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When I posted about this topic someone replied noting Nissan issued a service bulletin advising against a transmission flush under NPSB/07-027

Having said that I had my '08 G35x flushed with 16-qts of Matic S at 4-years with no problems. $179 is a great deal so long as they use at least 12-qts. My mechanic explained the new fluid does not simply push out the old fluid, it sort of pools a bit. He felt at least 12-qts was necessary but 16 would guarantee all new fluid.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Make sure its defiantly for 11+ Quarts, make sure to ask your service manager before you wait(or on the phone preferably) and look at the receipt it should say how many quarts they used. It better be at least 11 or more, Transmission capacity is 10 7/8 Quarts IIRC.

The paper released by nissan is for "aftermarket" flush systems. The way the dealer does it is very similar to how you do it in the service manual and IMO not considered "aftermarket" flush

At 67k You will be fine, 180 bucks is a fantastic price. I just paid 230

Old 07-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
Make sure its defiantly for 11+ Quarts, make sure to ask your service manager and look at the receipt it should say how many quarts they used.

The paper released by nissan is for "aftermarket" flush systems. The way the dealer does it is very similar to how you do it in the service manual.

At 67k You will be fine, 180 bucks is a fantastic price. I just paid 230
Thanks! I drive my car pretty hard, especially when merging on the highway since Boston highways give you very little distance in the acceleration lane.

Actually, the price is $199, but you can print out a 10% off all service coupon from their site, so it comes to $179.

I will bring it to the dealer tomorrow and ask about how much fluid they use and what kind. I heard some Infiniti dealers do not use Matic S fluid while doing a transmission flush.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Not to be a negative Nancy, but my guess is that, for that low of a price, they are just figuring a quick pan drain and refresh with around 5 qts of fluid.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Not to be a negative Nancy, but my guess is that, for that low of a price, they are just figuring a quick pan drain and refresh with around 5 qts of fluid.
Yeah, I will ask about that. They did tell me that it's going to be a flush, not a drain and fill. Even their service menu says Automatic Transmission service -complete fluid exchange.

http://herbchambersinfinitiofboston.com/Service_Menu

I'm getting mine done from Herb Chambers Infiniti in Boston. Anyone have experience with this dealer?

Old 07-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Thanks! I drive my car pretty hard, especially when merging on the highway since Boston highways give you very little distance in the acceleration lane.

Actually, the price is $199, but you can print out a 10% off all service coupon from their site, so it comes to $179.

I will bring it to the dealer tomorrow and ask about how much fluid they use and what kind. I heard some Infiniti dealers do not use Matic S fluid while doing a transmission flush.

There are 4 Dealers near me, 3 of them quoted Drain and Fills. If its close enough go in person but Id just call and ask. They were charging 150-180 for Drain and fill 230 for the Trans Flush.

I have not heard of any dealers doing that, look at your receipt it will say which fluid they used and how much.... For instance on mine.

Parts - Matic S Auto Transmi-999MP-MTS00P QTY 11

If an Infiniti Dealer uses anything else (They could use J but thats not being made any more for about 2 years) Id demand them to flush it out and use the proper fluid as stated in the User Manual.

Last time they did 12, this time they did 11 meh. 11 is really the minimum since the Transmission holds just about that.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:10 AM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Yeah, I will ask about that. They did tell me that it's going to be a flush, not a drain and fill. Even their service menu says Automatic Transmission service -complete fluid exchange.

http://herbchambersinfinitiofboston.com/Service_Menu

I'm getting mine done from Herb Chambers Infiniti in Boston. Anyone have experience with this dealer?
Well, you're right; it definitely does say complete fluid exchange. I'm baffled why a dealership would offer this.

It is NOT recommended by Infiniti. In fact, in the corporate memo mentioned a few posts back, they pretty much expressly state that their recommended service schedules are ALL that should be necessary for optimum performance. Additionally, the 'Premium' maintenance schedule is the only one that includes the "replacement of transmission fluid" every 30K miles, so even that is optional and not required for warranty purposes (the other two schedules only have inspections noted for the fluid). When I asked a local dealer about the Premium schedule and what the term "replacement" meant, I was told Infiniti has no factory authorized machine for doing a complete fluid replacement, so they only drain the pan and refill the 4-5 quarts that yields. In more accurate terms, it's called a "refresh" instead of a replacement.

I'm curious to know what this dealer has to say about their defiance of corporate service policies. Please post back with any clarifying info you happen to get from them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ATF Flush $179.99 worth it?