G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Ticking sound coming from the motor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Video here:

Since it's coming from both sides, I'm thinking injectors.

The following users liked this post:
johnnyzee (08-03-2012)
Old 08-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
That sounds like noisy cam buckets. The valvetrain on the VQ is generally pretty noisy, though. Is it over-the-top loud compared to the rest of the motor noises? I can't quite tell from the video.

How long have you owned the car? I was surprised at how much louder the valvetrain is on the VQ35 in the G/Z versus my Maxima the first few times I drove it.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:06 AM
I've had the car just over 3 months. It's that steady tick you hear that is pacing with the motor. It gets faster when I raise the RPMs.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Are you sure it's not just something that you're not just now hearing for the first time that's been there? I get overly critical of my motor sometimes, and I'll swear I hear noises that aren't there, or are just normal motor noises.

It's probably just a noisy cam bucket...as long as it's a tick, and not a knock, I wouldn't be too overly concerned. The best you can do is watch and make sure it doesn't get louder.

When the weather starts getting chilly, my car has one cam bucket that looooves to make noise for the first two or three minutes until the motor gets warm. It's sort of unnerving to hear it, but it doesn't affect the car's performance at all.

Sweet Lew (08-03-2012)
Old 08-03-2012, 11:23 AM
I'm new to Infiniti\Nissan so I am probably being overly critical. My guess was maybe injectors since I can hear it from either side of the motor. Here is another vid after driving 30 miles on the hwy with some spirited runs in between. At :10 you can really hear it. Sorry, but it was taken in my garage late with no lights. =/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ6oK...ature=youtu.be

Old 08-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Sweet Lew
Video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN_t1...eature=mh_lolz

Since it's coming from both sides, I'm thinking injectors.
That is EXACTLY what I have going on. Still can't figure it out. I hear it more from the front side of the engine, but same exact ticking. I was thinking serpentine(accessory) belt or some related pulley, but with only 60k kms on the engine, didn't want to plunge into that and warranty will not cover it.

God damn

Old 08-04-2012, 11:49 AM
It might be your timing chain guides making noise.

Honestly, like I said, the VQ35 valvetrain is incredibly noisy. You might just be hearing all the valvetrain noises.

The QR25 that Nissan uses in the Altima and Sentra is even worse about top-end noise.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:08 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
It might be your timing chain guides making noise.

Honestly, like I said, the VQ35 valvetrain is incredibly noisy. You might just be hearing all the valvetrain noises.

The QR25 that Nissan uses in the Altima and Sentra is even worse about top-end noise.
If it made this noise from buying the car new, I'd totally agree. Had mine for 4 years (about 60k kms on motor) and this noise just started recently. What boggles the mind is that it is intermittent, some days it ticks, some days it wont, and believe me, you can hear it tick distinctly, even with hood closed.

Just from experience, my dealer is a pain when it comes to warranty work. If they find something that they can blame on not being "powertrain related" they make sure they stick it to me, and boy do they try to. Almost need a lawyer with me when bringing it in. Thus my reluctance to bring it in.

So far, from my research here on the forums and your guys' excellent posts, it appears it could be:
- injectors
- purge solenoid valve (still unsure what that the hell that is)
- valvetrain
- timing chain (guides)
- noisy cam buckets

Old 08-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
have you changed your oil recently? or checked the oil level? i was gonna say its the vtc or whatever they're called like on the older vq30's and vq35's but this sounds to loud for that. Try removing the engine cover(see if you can pinpoint the noise better) also try removing the intake tubes from the throttle boddys see if you throttles valves/butterfly valves or whatever they're called lol are secure, after that i would get under and see if that helps

Old 08-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Ketchup83se01
have you changed your oil recently? or checked the oil level? i was gonna say its the vtc or whatever they're called like on the older vq30's and vq35's but this sounds to loud for that. Try removing the engine cover(see if you can pinpoint the noise better) also try removing the intake tubes from the throttle boddys see if you throttles valves/butterfly valves or whatever they're called lol are secure, after that i would get under and see if that helps
Oil was changed by the dealer 500 miles ago. I submitted the videos to the service writer I usually work with and I'm waiting to hear back. The car is still under full warranty until October so I'll see what they say.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
the EXACT same noise my car makes..pretty sure it's just the lifters. Car made that noise with old and brand new engine

Sweet Lew (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also have a ticking noise coming from the engine at only around "1200 RPM" either at idle or driving very slowly, Kinda sounds like a diesel ??

Old 08-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by randyc
I also have a ticking noise coming from the engine at only around "1200 RPM" either at idle or driving very slowly, Kinda sounds like a diesel ??
That's pinging and predetonation. The VQ is extremely prone to that. Especially now that the oil companies are putting ethanol into our gasoline.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
That's pinging and predetonation. The VQ is extremely prone to that. Especially now that the oil companies are putting ethanol into our gasoline.
I highly doubt that. The likelihood of detonation short of engine load (when it's idling) is pretty much unheard of with a modern ecu and fuel injection.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:50 AM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
sounds like a normally noisy valvetrain. I doubt if it's something that necessitates getting into and replacing parts unless it gets worse and there seems be an effect on the car. Ignore the other guy, the welds on your manifold will hold just fine. But if washers start pinging off of your floorpan, pull over and get a tow.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ticking sound coming from the motor