G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Tire Recommendation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Recommendation

I have a 2008 G35 Sport and I need to replace my tires. I don't need super-high performance tires because most of my driving is around town - I'm mostly looking for a smooth, quiet ride with a good warranty.

I've always purchased Michelins for vehicles, but I wanted to get some input from the forum. I'm looking at:

1. Michelin Primacy (MXM4 in the front and MXV4 in the back) for $185 Front / $224 Rear
2. Michelin Super Sport for $176 F / $ 256 R
3. Yokohama YK580 for $163 F / $184 R
4. Bridgestone Potenza RE050 for $229 F / $244 R

Old 08-01-2012, 08:42 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
I recommend Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus. They just released the tire last month to stores. The tires are super quiet and comfortable and I drive spiritedly. I have also driven on Michelin Primacy (both MXM4 and MXV4) on my previous Lexus vehicles and the tires are great too. However, I find the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus to be more comfortable and has more grip in the rain. The Bridgestones are also much cheaper too (around $150.) They also have a far superior treadlife warranty than Michelin (5 years/75k miles on V rated tires vs. 55k/60k miles on the Michelin Primacy.)

If you want ultra performance all season tires, I would go with Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS pole position. I also believe mixing two different tires is not as good as having all four tires the same. Mixing MXM4 and MXV4 will degrade performance.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 08-01-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
All season or summer tires?

Old 08-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Vote for the pilot super sports. Warranty is only 15000 for staggered setups though.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
I second the recommendation for the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I running them now and they are fantastic.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
All season or summer tires?
+1

OP you're comparing a couple different types of tires, so it's hard to recommend which is best for your needs. If you don't need an all-season, go for the Super Sports. Those tires are excellent.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Thanks for all the input. I live in Sacramento, so I'm not going to be exposed to any severe weather and I'll probably never see snow with this vehicle (on my runs to Reno or Tahoe I would take my SUV). I have about a five minute commute to work (city streets) and outside of that I'm mostly driving around town.

I don't need a high-performance tire - my priorities are to get tires that offer a smooth, quiet ride with a long lifetime. I like the Pilot Super Sports, but a 15K warranty is pretty low.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Also consider Falken ZE912

They are quiet, pretty decent for around town trip, as long as you don't drive in extreme cold

and they are relatively cheap too

Old 08-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by cultcab
Thanks for all the input. I live in Sacramento, so I'm not going to be exposed to any severe weather and I'll probably never see snow with this vehicle (on my runs to Reno or Tahoe I would take my SUV). I have about a five minute commute to work (city streets) and outside of that I'm mostly driving around town.

I don't need a high-performance tire - my priorities are to get tires that offer a smooth, quiet ride with a long lifetime. I like the Pilot Super Sports, but a 15K warranty is pretty low.
The significant thing about the Super Sports is that they have a warranty AT ALL !! (remember, this is for a staggered setup)
In a staggered fitment that does not allow rotation, you typically won't find ANY warranty. IMHO, it's a fairly positive indication from Michelin that they even allow the 15K. I totally understand if you're looking for more of a touring tire; that's fine, but be sure to consider that in staggered form, no tire is going to give a full life that it might otherwise have been able to do if rotatable.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:37 AM
I have an 07 G35 with the sport tire and wheel package. I had the same tires I use on my Volvo and have had great success with them.......the Continental DWS Extreme. It's one of the best mixtures of sport tire with a longer tread wear warranty.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 08-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
if you want comfortable and smooth ride, with some performance esp security when its raining I would go with continnental DW just like the car and driver article stated, if this is just your daily driver with a little bit of spirited driving i'd recomment continnental DWS its performance all season so you should always be confident in your tires throughout the 4 seasons up there in norcal

Old 08-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Bimmer1
I have an 07 G35 with the sport tire and wheel package. I had the same tires I use on my Volvo and have had great success with them.......the Continental DWS Extreme. It's one of the best mixtures of sport tire with a longer tread wear warranty.
I just put these on my sister's Civic and they're pretty nice. Much more of an improvement over the worn out tires she had before.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Thanks for all the comments and the link to the great review.

I had a question on vqsmile's comment regarding the Pilot Super Sport's 15K warranty. Does this mean that the 40K or 50K warranty that's advertise for other tires wouldn't apply for the staggered fitment?

I'm not really concerned about the "warranty" aspect of this, but if a tire is warranted for 50K miles I assume that it's going to last significantly longer than one that has a 15K warranty.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by cultcab
Thanks for all the comments and the link to the great review.

I had a question on vqsmile's comment regarding the Pilot Super Sport's 15K warranty. Does this mean that the 40K or 50K warranty that's advertise for other tires wouldn't apply for the staggered fitment?

I'm not really concerned about the "warranty" aspect of this, but if a tire is warranted for 50K miles I assume that it's going to last significantly longer than one that has a 15K warranty.
I think if you read the fine print in most warranties you'll find language to the effect that you need to rotate them regularly to be eligible for coverage. One other point of clarification, the warranty on the Pilot SS's is for 30K miles normally, it's just reduced to 15K for staggered (ie. non-rotatable) fitment. Additionally, the SS is a "Max Performance Summer" tire, which is pretty much the highest performance available before you get into the really "sticky", low tread-life (ie. <140) "Extreme Summer Performance" type tires which pretty much have no warranty to speak of and can be worn out in a single summer or a few track sessions. You will never find a tire with a 50K warranty in the Max Performance category; it's just apples to oranges to compare them. That's not to say you wouldn't do fine with a lower performance tire, it's just a choice of what you want more. IMHO, the Pilot SS's hold a very unique quality in that they are pretty much the very best in their performance category, and yet they surrender the least in compromises from the other categories.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire Recommendation