G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Really Bad Experince - Any Advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 08:25 AM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
Hey! Your car is still covered if you didnt know. The engine and trans has a 7-70 warranty. I dont know what the 70k miles converts to but hope its still good for you. 7yrs or 70k miles. A lot of ppl dont know this

The following users liked this post:
07'G35S (08-22-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 10:06 AM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by bluedevils95
Hey! Your car is still covered if you didnt know. The engine and trans has a 7-70 warranty. I dont know what the 70k miles converts to but hope its still good for you. 7yrs or 70k miles. A lot of ppl dont know this
Wow...didn't you read the OP's post? He said his warranty is 6 years/110,000km....which translates to about 70k miles...

Don't you think if the other members would point that out already in the past 25 posts or so if he was still under warranty? Don't say his car is still covered when it's actually not, because it isn't. You could easily just type in 110,000km conversion in google and see that he's already been informed. If the dealer already told him he was past his warranty, he is.

If he had purchased the elite extended warranty from Infiniti, he would definitely have a stronger case against Infiniti.

And speak for yourself...the powertrain warranty is actually 6 years/70k miles, not 7 years.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 08-22-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
/\... I think he's just trying to help. I wouldn't jump on him for trying to bring possible solutions to the table.

My biggest fight was that the dealer and I had poor relations, stemming back to when I saw one of their guys beating on my car years prior. Add into that the fight I had with them to replace an afetermarket wheel they destroyed during a service visit.... the rest is history.
They tried claiming that I took poor care of my car and that the mods (intake, springs and exhaust) were a factor in the shaft breaking at the bearing carrier. Once I released that claim to Facebook, they were hit with an onslaught of angry people who knew better.
If it wasn't for being SO involved in the local and national car scene, I wouldn't have stood a chance.

If his car is just out of warranty but has never been modded or abused, he may stand a chance. He just has to start communicating with the correct parties and needs to spend less time listening to the dealer.

07'G35S (08-22-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 12:58 PM
FWIW, 126,000KM is equivilant to 78292.8 miles.
That's 4K less than I had on the clock when Infiniti helped me out.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
FWIW, 126,000KM is equivilant to 78292.8 miles.
That's 4K less than I had on the clock when Infiniti helped me out.
Your case is very specific AND not to mention you were very lucky. Legally, Infiniti doesn't have to help you.

Like I said before in my previous posts, Infiniti would have to be very generous to help you out in that scenario. There is always going to be one case where Infiniti will help someone out when it comes to out of warranty fixes. To the general public and the majority of the people, Infiniti will not help in a case like this. Plus, if the car has been in ANY prior accident before, the warranty is completely void. If there is anything to suggest something that isn't due to engine failure on Infiniti's part, you're likely to kiss that help goodbye.

And yes, the other guy was trying to help out, but he is completely misinformed of the situation. He was claiming that his car was still under warranty, when it is not. I'm merely trying to correct his mistakes so he doesn't misinform others.

It took you a very long time to fight for them to fix your car too...I'm not sure it's worth not having a car for at least the next couple months for most of us when it comes to replacing the engine. Like you said, it took FOUR months and fighting EVERY single day. The stress level and the inconvenience of having to call everyday isn't worth the benefit (plus not having a car for the time being.) I would rather buy a used junkyard engine for a couple thousand dollars than go through that. You must have a lot of time in your hands to be able to pull that off.

The other option for him is to see if Infiniti will let him trade his car in good condition for a newer Infiniti G37.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 08-22-2012 at 01:58 PM.
07'G35S (08-22-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 11:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man... Deja Vu!
I was cruising home last year on the highway with the cruise control set to 70 mph and out of nowhere, the car lost power. It would idle but if I tried moving the car, it would grumble and not move. I had it towed to the dealer and it turned out to be a broken cam shaft.
With 80K on the clock, it was out of warranty by miles but not by time.

It took 4 months of fighting (almost every single day) but Infiniti finally came through and flipped the $16,000 bill and replaced the entire long block. What a freaking nightmare.
Hahaha thats awesome, encouraging too!!
I was planning on parking the car till next year, save up some money and fix i up myself. Until then i'm going to keep trying.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by bluedevils95
Hi bluedevils95
I did check with them I am on the 6years 110,000km (70,000miles). I think the g37's run on the 7year - at least the newer ones.
Thanks for the post though :-)

Old 08-22-2012, 11:32 PM
/\... I think he's just trying to help. I wouldn't jump on him for trying to bring possible solutions to the table.

My biggest fight was that the dealer and I had poor relations, stemming back to when I saw one of their guys beating on my car years prior. Add into that the fight I had with them to replace an afetermarket wheel they destroyed during a service visit.... the rest is history.
They tried claiming that I took poor care of my car and that the mods (intake, springs and exhaust) were a factor in the shaft breaking at the bearing carrier. Once I released that claim to Facebook, they were hit with an onslaught of angry people who knew better.
If it wasn't for being SO involved in the local and national car scene, I wouldn't have stood a chance.

If his car is just out of warranty but has never been modded or abused, he may stand a chance. He just has to start communicating with the correct parties and needs to spend less time listening to the dealer.
I did make a post on the Infiniti Canada facebook page and got a reply (within 1hr) from someone who wants to get me in touch with customer relations at Infiniti. Lets see how this goes.

The car does not have any mods on it, bone stock - spent so much money keeping it "maintained" that I never got a chance to even look at mods.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:38 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
wow this is a difficult one
anything from here is an uphill battle.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
Your case is very specific AND not to mention you were very lucky. Legally, Infiniti doesn't have to help you.

Like I said before in my previous posts, Infiniti would have to be very generous to help you out in that scenario. There is always going to be one case where Infiniti will help someone out when it comes to out of warranty fixes. To the general public and the majority of the people, Infiniti will not help in a case like this. Plus, if the car has been in ANY prior accident before, the warranty is completely void. If there is anything to suggest something that isn't due to engine failure on Infiniti's part, you're likely to kiss that help goodbye.

And yes, the other guy was trying to help out, but he is completely misinformed of the situation. He was claiming that his car was still under warranty, when it is not. I'm merely trying to correct his mistakes so he doesn't misinform others.

It took you a very long time to fight for them to fix your car too...I'm not sure it's worth not having a car for at least the next couple months for most of us when it comes to replacing the engine. Like you said, it took FOUR months and fighting EVERY single day. The stress level and the inconvenience of having to call everyday isn't worth the benefit (plus not having a car for the time being.) I would rather buy a used junkyard engine for a couple thousand dollars than go through that. You must have a lot of time in your hands to be able to pull that off.

The other option for him is to see if Infiniti will let him trade his car in good condition for a newer Infiniti G37.
mathnerd88,
I told them I would be more than happy to trade my vechile in at fair market value for another car. They did not want to go down this road. Their idea of fair is $5k. I'm quite certain I can get allot more than that just by pulling parts of that car with a screwdriver. lol.
It's crummy not having a car, but I have some fantastic co-workers who are more than happy to offer rides. As winter is around the corner, I'm seriously thinking about parking the car and saving up the cash to fix it. There is no way i'm popping another engine in if i can't pay for it all upfront. I've heard some bad experiences where the engines have failed within months of the swap.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:01 AM
So I got Infiniti's "letter" in the mail. This is the tail end, the rest is them trying to butter me up.

"Infiniti Canada is not willing to offer assistance for the replacement of the engine, as the colour of the components in the combustion chamber are not consistent with the undamaged cylinders. This type of damage is consistent with hydro lock in the cylinder caused by liquid being ingested into the cylinder. Regrettably the vehicle is outside warrant able parameters by both time and mileage. You were advised that any internal notes regarding this matter cannot be provided. Thus, there is no necessity to pursue this matter further; please note we will not undertake any further responses in relation to this issue, as we consider it closed"

What I saw - remember this took 7 weeks to arrive.
- Car is still within the time parameter. This just annoys me because it was discussed in detail, how can they get the basic info on the vehicle wrong...
- I called the dealership about the "color" being different in the cylinder that popped. The Service manager pretty much went "yea, it would be a different color due to the explosion that took place and that this would be due to the heat created when it broke - this is normal" Can anyone confirm this?
- This is definitely not the same letter that was read to me over the phone, the last bit about them not able to share notes was added in, the letter that was read to me also specified how much out of warranty I was in time and km's.
- I also liked how this letter was signed by a call center rep and not even a supervisor of sorts. Way to try an pin it on the low man on the totem pole.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:32 AM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Damn man this sucks!! I hope u get it all squared away.. What a headache u don't need in your life..

Old 08-23-2012, 08:56 AM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by 07'G35S
So I got Infiniti's "letter" in the mail. This is the tail end, the rest is them trying to butter me up.

"Infiniti Canada is not willing to offer assistance for the replacement of the engine, as the colour of the components in the combustion chamber are not consistent with the undamaged cylinders. This type of damage is consistent with hydro lock in the cylinder caused by liquid being ingested into the cylinder. Regrettably the vehicle is outside warrant able parameters by both time and mileage. You were advised that any internal notes regarding this matter cannot be provided. Thus, there is no necessity to pursue this matter further; please note we will not undertake any further responses in relation to this issue, as we consider it closed"

What I saw - remember this took 7 weeks to arrive.
- Car is still within the time parameter. This just annoys me because it was discussed in detail, how can they get the basic info on the vehicle wrong...
- I called the dealership about the "color" being different in the cylinder that popped. The Service manager pretty much went "yea, it would be a different color due to the explosion that took place and that this would be due to the heat created when it broke - this is normal" Can anyone confirm this?
- This is definitely not the same letter that was read to me over the phone, the last bit about them not able to share notes was added in, the letter that was read to me also specified how much out of warranty I was in time and km's.
- I also liked how this letter was signed by a call center rep and not even a supervisor of sorts. Way to try an pin it on the low man on the totem pole.
I hope that letter was written on toilet paper, at least you'd have a further use for it
Definitely bumming for you, sounds like you're dead to them

Old 08-23-2012, 09:24 AM
mathnerd88,
I told them I would be more than happy to trade my vechile in at fair market value for another car. They did not want to go down this road. Their idea of fair is $5k. I'm quite certain I can get allot more than that just by pulling parts of that car with a screwdriver. lol.
It's crummy not having a car, but I have some fantastic co-workers who are more than happy to offer rides. As winter is around the corner, I'm seriously thinking about parking the car and saving up the cash to fix it. There is no way i'm popping another engine in if i can't pay for it all upfront. I've heard some bad experiences where the engines have failed within months of the swap.
Hmm...my car was at 68k miles and the dealer said they would have my car traded in for around 17k. I also have the Premium, Navigation, Tech, and Wood packages with my car. Maybe you could try to fight them and see if they'll let you trade in for $10k? That sounds more reasonable for a car with a busted engine...

This definitely sucks for you, but if you wait another year, it might be better to buy another used Infiniti G cheap and sell your car for parts, especially when the new completely redesigned model is unveiled next year in spring 2013. I hope they come out with a hybrid version of the Infiniti G, because I actually might trade in my car for that! My G uses way too much gas, and it doesn't help that I live in Boston =(

Old 08-24-2012, 09:41 AM

I honestly think this hydrolock excuse is bullsh!t. I say that because when my car went in, they first said "No, we won't help"
After some discussions, they agreed to send out some engineers to review the parts. They stated after their investigation that everything looked perfect and that they could not determine the cause of the break.
Some time after that, I got another update telling me that they were again denying my claim because the breakage was caused by hydrolock. I asked how they determined that and they told me that my oil was milky and thick.... a complete contridiction to what the Infiniti engineers found.

This boils down to a few things. If the car is very well maintained and you can prove it, Infiniti is more apt to assist. It also helps to have a name out there. At the time, you could log ino Infiniti's Facebook page and find several pictures of my car there. I was also the Infiniti rep of a few local car clubs. Also, and I wasn't comfortable hearing that it was happening, but I heard that several people I have never met stopped at the dealer and asked, "Is that Virus' car out there?". It soon turned into "What are you guys doing to correct this problem? You are going to take care of him, aren't you".
Honestly, I think they just got sick of the heat my case was bringing and it was worth the cost to make me go away.

Most importantly though, it comes down to how much patience you have, and how far you are willing to push your side of the case. In my scenario, I was told one thing and then something different. My fight was not against Infiniti, but against what my dealership was telling Infiniti behind my back so I would lose the case. Infiniti, in the beginning, said they would assist, even if it was splitting the bill, and I was super happy with that. The real fight began after the dealer spoke to Infiniti and told them a bunch of BS, getting them to change their mind. This is why I fought for four months straight.
Yeah, bumming rides for 4 months sucked... that's for sure.

Last edited by AesonVirus; 08-24-2012 at 09:48 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Really Bad Experince - Any Advice?