G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Battery tie down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 12:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Battery tie down

Just replaced my battery in a dark Wal mart parking lot.

How the hell does the back of the battery tie down attach? Is there a piece that I am missing? I didn't see anything listed in the OEM parts, and also didn't take anything off other than the front nut.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:47 AM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
There is nothing going across the battery like a bar?

Old 08-16-2012, 02:30 AM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
There are two j hooks. The front one is long. Back one is short. You hook them at the bottom. Theres a blk bar that connects the two. Then you place the nut on top of each j bar. Tighten down.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:46 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^whs, you should do it in a lighted area so that you can get the J hook into the proper hole

Old 08-16-2012, 07:25 AM
https://www.infinitipartsonline.com/...dan-parts.html

This picture shows nothing in the rear. So there is another hook that is missing?

Old 08-16-2012, 07:33 AM
Meh, link doesn't work. You have to click on electrical, then battery to see what I'm referencing. I'd post a pic if I wasn't on a tablet.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:35 AM
Guess I should elaborate. It's early. I don't have a rear j hook, but makes sense that I should.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:44 AM
Old 08-16-2012, 09:40 AM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy...r-battery.html

You can see the J-hook in the pictures provided in step number 5.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Am i the only one that does not use the tie down bar?

I don't track my sedan or coupe, so the bar is useless

Old 08-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Beebo

I think the point of the bar is to keep it from bouncing around when you hit a large pothole or something...it's not necessarily there for tracking a sedan or coupe. I'm sure you also go through speed bumps and the battery tie-down is there for a reason. If it wasn't needed, Infiniti wouldn't put it there. Plus, our OEM braking system isn't meant for tracking anyways, so there is a different reason for it being there. It's even on there for all cars, including non sporty ones like Toyota Corolla.

Battery contains sulfuric acid, and you don't want it to be oriented the wrong way and have it spill acid or something, especially when it's near the air vents for the passenger cabin. You also don't want it to cause a dent in your hood when it bounces. It's a simple preventative tool to keep battery still.

Plus, the battery tray is actually larger than the OEM Group 35 battery, so there is some free play that the battery can move around on the tray which makes the tie down bar even more important. Also, you don't want to stress the wires that are connected to the battery as it's moving around. I know the positive terminal cable is pretty firm in terms of free play.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 08-16-2012 at 10:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Beebo (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
dont hate on corolla's man! na just joking man! All that bar does is possibly prevent the battery from bouncing around and causing damage. mathnerd88 is correct

Old 08-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Beebo

With a loose battery, if you ever have to slam on your brakes in a full panic mode, or if you do actually have a low-speed fender bender in the front, you will most likely be looking at repairing some damage in and around the battery compartment from what is essentially a large lead weight (pendulum) that's floating around in there. Additionally, when the battery slams into the sheet metal, it is very likely to fracture its plastic case and leak acid all over the surrounding area. That is corrosive and will cause rust in places you likely can't or don't want to try and get to. EVERY automobile on the road came with a battery hold down. It's there for a reason; USE IT!

The following users liked this post:
Beebo (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 03:09 PM
No leaking here

Old 08-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
I think the point of the bar is to keep it from bouncing around when you hit a large pothole or something...it's not necessarily there for tracking a sedan or coupe. I'm sure you also go through speed bumps and the battery tie-down is there for a reason. If it wasn't needed, Infiniti wouldn't put it there. Plus, our OEM braking system isn't meant for tracking anyways, so there is a different reason for it being there. It's even on there for all cars, including non sporty ones like Toyota Corolla.

Battery contains sulfuric acid, and you don't want it to be oriented the wrong way and have it spill acid or something, especially when it's near the air vents for the passenger cabin. You also don't want it to cause a dent in your hood when it bounces. It's a simple preventative tool to keep battery still.

Plus, the battery tray is actually larger than the OEM Group 35 battery, so there is some free play that the battery can move around on the tray which makes the tie down bar even more important. Also, you don't want to stress the wires that are connected to the battery as it's moving around. I know the positive terminal cable is pretty firm in terms of free play.
Originally Posted by vqsmile
With a loose battery, if you ever have to slam on your brakes in a full panic mode, or if you do actually have a low-speed fender bender in the front, you will most likely be looking at repairing some damage in and around the battery compartment from what is essentially a large lead weight (pendulum) that's floating around in there. Additionally, when the battery slams into the sheet metal, it is very likely to fracture its plastic case and leak acid all over the surrounding area. That is corrosive and will cause rust in places you likely can't or don't want to try and get to. EVERY automobile on the road came with a battery hold down. It's there for a reason; USE IT!
Alright, you guys make very good points. i put the tie down bars back on both G's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Battery tie down