G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Rotor + pads?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 01:55 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Brakes Rotor + pads?

Im sure there is a thread on here regarding this but im getting short on paitence with research and I 100% trust my fellow g35 drivers on their info, so here is my Q.

I need to replace my pads and rotors. 2008 G35x The OEM rotors warp too quicky for my "Style" of driving. I don't want to spend too much and dont want to upgrade calipers.

Any reccomendations on a Drilled and/or slotted set of rotors and pads to match:?

Driving typically does not exceed 130 Mph.

In advance, thank you.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:37 AM
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Instead of going with OEM rotors, get a set of Centric brand from Tire Rack. They cost a bit more, but are much higher quality.

Drilled and slotted won't stop your warping issue. If anything, they'll increase the likelihood of warping and cracking, considering most cheap CD/S rotors are machined.

At most, I'd get slots. No CDs, though.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
I recommend:

Using a pad designed for more spirited driving. Warping is usually pad deposits, from a pad that overheated. If you drive like a moron on surface streets going 130, you'll need a compound approaching track use, which means cold stopping power will suck.

Or get a BBK.

Manufacturers advertise stopping from 60-0, and not thermal capacity of a system (unless you buy a Porsche/somehting with ceramic). The G has amazing stopping distances, but can't repeat that after two or three hard stops.

To stop warping means managing energy (heat). Either get bigger discs or slow down. Track compound pads would be suicide for most people to DD.

EDIT: I have slotted rotors, only after much research. I got them since there has been some loosely based arguments they are less likely to warp. You can't machine them, but if my rotors have no pulsing, I usually just replace pads and call it a day. My driving style is something between conservative and agressive.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by AuAltima3.5

EDIT: I have slotted rotors, only after much research. I got them since there has been some loosely based arguments they are less likely to warp. You can't machine them, but if my rotors have no pulsing, I usually just replace pads and call it a day. My driving style is something between conservative and aggressive.
Actually, you can machine them, but it's not something that your local brake shop will have the equipment to do. It would have to be done at full on, well equipped machine shop.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
My Maxima was awful about pad buildup on the rotor surface. The stock rotors and calipers were just too small for the size of the car. I upgraded to Centric rotors and ceramic pads, and my issues went away... Just saying.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Drilled or Slotted are not necessary.

go with some Centric Blanks and posi-quiet ceramic pads. Just switched to this set up and couldnt be happier.

The following users liked this post:
krazyket (08-20-2012)
Old 08-19-2012, 02:14 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
I Just went with R1 Concept's premium blanks,, with hawk HPS pad, a very nice combo that is excellent for d driving, plus occasionall autox, and if you want, Very spirited street driving...

Old 08-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
cross drilled/slotted rotors are kind of gimmicky. But then again, gimmicky is what people on this forum seem to like. Just get cheap solid rotors.

I second the better pad thing. I wonder what pads would have the least problems with judder.

Also, I don't know what driving style contributes to brake judder. To prevent judder, you want to bed in your brakes properly. If you are using your brakes hard repeatedly to the point of overheating, that's basically the same as bedding in, and in theory it should result in more even brake deposit.

Basically, if you ever notice judder, you're supposed to re-bed your brakes in immediately and it should go away.

If you are braking very hard, consistently, to the point of getting brake fade, then one tip is to not brake completely to a stop while your brakes are hot. You should drive around at decent speeds for like 10-15 min after your brakes have reached the point of fading and never come to a complete stop. If you have to come to a complete stop, coast the last like 1mph to a stop (i guess neutral in an auto). You don't want to be pressing on your pads when the car stops. And don't set your parking brake while your rotors are hot. Having the pads resting at pressure on a hot rotor can cause a large deposit at that point.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Some great info here from everyone!

Old 08-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
+1 centric blanks. I have them with Hawk ceramic pads and love the combo! Have about 15k miles on them.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have Power Slot Slotted Brake Rotor with Akebono ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set. So far the stopping power has improved significantly over the factory oem. Rotors & Pads are a great combo! No Dust either!

Old 08-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EBC slotted and hawk blues = Awesome!

Old 06-23-2013, 04:02 PM
Thank you all for the information regarding this. I still have not replaced them yet. But I know it is almost time anyway. I will most likely be getting centric as most recommended.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrueggemann84
Thank you all for the information regarding this. I still have not replaced them yet. But I know it is almost time anyway. I will most likely be getting centric as most recommended.
If your steering toward Centrics, go check out www.KNSbrakes.com they're a good vendor on this site and their prices are very good, nice deals on Centric blanks w/ Stoptech pads, nice combo for a DD.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
If your steering toward Centrics, go check out www.KNSbrakes.com they're a good vendor on this site and their prices are very good, nice deals on Centric blanks w/ Stoptech pads, nice combo for a DD.
I second this. I actually ordered the centric premium with hawk hps pads combo a month ago, now their installed and working great. Hawk hps pads are for people who dont really rape their brakes. However stoptech is for someone who really abuses brakes. Just choose what fits your driving style.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rotor + pads?