G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Stillen or Borla?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stillen or Borla?

I'm looking for a deeper sounding exhaust and have narrowed down my decision between Stillen and Borla. Both sound good in my opinion but Stillen is cheeper, which is always a plus for a young kid. Should I go for Stillen or spend the extra cash for Borla?

Also, since money is a slight issue, would only buying Stillen or Borla mufflers and not the full catback sound okay? It is much cheeper but I am not interested in becoming the local ricer or ruining such a nice car.

Thanks!

Old 09-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Globo Gym
I'm looking for a deeper sounding exhaust and have narrowed down my decision between Stillen and Borla. Both sound good in my opinion but Stillen is cheeper, which is always a plus for a young kid. Should I go for Stillen or spend the extra cash for Borla?

Also, since money is a slight issue, would only buying Stillen or Borla mufflers and not the full catback sound okay? It is much cheeper but I am not interested in becoming the local ricer or ruining such a nice car.

Thanks!
I would go with the stillen true dual exhaust simply for the fact of the better fitment and the exhaust doesn't use clamps to hold it together.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Demonteverde
I would go with the stillen true dual exhaust simply for the fact of the better fitment and the exhaust doesn't use clamps to hold it together.
+1. (I have the Borla btw)

Old 09-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
If you're on a budget you can't beat the TopSpeed Pro1 group buy deal they're putting together. I've got 12k miles on mine and it's been a great exhaust w/ nice sound and quality construction.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by blnewt
If you're on a budget you can't beat the TopSpeed Pro1 group buy deal they're putting together. I've got 12k miles on mine and it's been a great exhaust w/ nice sound and quality construction.
I've seen pictures of the Pro1 and the fitment looked odd. It looked like it made an awkwardly large gap with the bumper. I've also read that it hangs a little low. Do you think you could PM me some pictures of your fitment?

Old 09-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Congratulations. I suggest the stillen exhaust. If you have a coupe, I would get the CAT back system. The decibels are reasonable at low rpm so you don't wake up your neighbors in the early mornings or late nights. I have had mine for 5 years. I liked the quality of the materials and attention to detail, e.g. Exhaust hanger points match up nicely to the factory spots. However, I also like the sound of the BORLA and the quality. I think the borla is lighter.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Globo Gym
I've seen pictures of the Pro1 and the fitment looked odd. It looked like it made an awkwardly large gap with the bumper. I've also read that it hangs a little low. Do you think you could PM me some pictures of your fitment?
Fitment on mine was perfect didn't have to do a single adjustment, just bolted it up and fits like OEM, no bumper gap, fits in the oem recess perfecly I think they've now got the price down to $360 +25 shipping over on G37 group buy thread (28 people signed on the interest list)

The following users liked this post:
Globo Gym (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 01:53 AM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Demonteverde
stillen isnt a true dual. i had it. it also does use 3 clamps to hold it together as well as bolts.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:11 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
stillen

Old 09-11-2012, 09:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had the Stillen on mine for about two years now. I too had it narrowed down between Borla and Stillen, but after reading and watching every sound clip on youtube it seemed the Borla had a very deep drone to it. I really like the Stillen, everything fit together great, if I remember correctly it was clamps to hold on the axle back portion and then bolts on the Y-pipe and into cats of course.

One tip on the install; have a heat torch or soak the bolts in some PB blaster. I didnt have either and got mad and ended up stripping a bolt on the stock Y-pipe, needless to say the saws-all came out.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
I have stillen on my coupe. Sounded awesome until I added Top Speed ResTPs, then like garbage...drrrooonnee.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by blnewt
Fitment on mine was perfect didn't have to do a single adjustment, just bolted it up and fits like OEM, no bumper gap, fits in the oem recess perfecly I think they've now got the price down to $360 +25 shipping over on G37 group buy thread (28 people signed on the interest list)

Thanks for the pictures they help A LOT! So you had no problems with fitment? No cabin drone? Also, since it is significantly cheeper than borla and stillen, am I getting what I pay for with a less expensive exhaust?

Old 09-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
I vote for none of the above! Neither system is worth putting on your G, I've been there! The restriction in your exhaust system is in your OE cats, replace them with HFCs (high flow cats) sounds better and frees up 8 rwhp give or take....Gary

Old 09-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Received 575 Likes on 502 Posts
Actually i did a before and after dyno and the hfc gave me 15whp. Might be the best bang for your buck. But if you want i think the ark exhaust just sounds better.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
I vote for none of the above! Neither system is worth putting on your G, I've been there! The restriction in your exhaust system is in your OE cats, replace them with HFCs (high flow cats) sounds better and frees up 8 rwhp give or take....Gary
thank you! i have been preaching this with members not believing me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stillen or Borla?