G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Brake juddering/"warp"/shudder info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 12:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake juddering/"warp"/shudder info

Hi all

First post on this board. I've been active on many car boards in the past including a lot when I was rallying a galant VR4 back in the early 2000s. Then when I put a LS1 in a FD3s.

I just picked up a 2008 g35xS and it has a bit of brake shudder/"judder" and I came into the site to see if people had favorite brake pad/rotor combos to combat this.

Obviously this is a fairly common problem with these cars.

What I was surprised by was I didn't seem to come across anyone posting this link
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths

Carroll Smith is a racing car mechanic/engineer god. RIP. His book series of "to win" books (tune to win, engineer to win, drive to win, prepare to win etc) are essential for any aspiring racer/race mechanic that really wants to understand how things work.

His write up of what REALLY causes brake shudder/warp is incredibly enlightening.

I know everyone thinks they understand how this works and I'm sorta "late to the party." but please take the time to try to read the article. Mr. Smith does not dumb it down. So you might have to read it a few times.

BTW after looking around and based on my previous experience I'm gonna turn my rear stock rotors and get set of EBC greenstuff pads. See if that solves it. then go to the fronts if that doesn't solve it. Normally I would start with the fronts but as I read around a bit it seems the Gs apply a bit more rear brake under light braking to keep the car more flat and have less nose dive vs. pure front braking? But that does seem like some what of a guess on people's part.

Question though Maybe someone can help me with. have the 2008 G35xS. I assume I get the sport model pad?

thx
john

Old 11-09-2012, 01:36 AM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Well, I can definitely say that article has already been posted here before because I posted it.

see: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ml#post6431036

I'm of the opinion that the stock rotors are just plain prone to developing judder. Typically, it is sufficient to just swap them out with a decent quality aftermarket set and you are good to go. I can not recall any posts from folks who replaced their pads and rotors and had the symptoms return. As for the rear pads grabbing more at lower speeds, maybe it's an X model thing, but I'm not sure I've ever heard that before.

As for your question, NO, you do not get the Sport pads for your model's brakes. If you have an XS model, you still have the standard brakes. Only the RWD models with Sport got the sport brakes.

A good reference for model specs is here:

http://infinitihelp.com/models/index.php

BTW, Welcome to G35Driver. ... and I'm jealous as hell you had a V-8 FD , just don't expect your G to ever come close to that kind of performance.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
VQ said everything I was thinking and even posted the Infinitihelp link that I would have provided to help you determine what brakes you need. I shared that Stoptech link back in 09 and I'm sure I have shared it on here a few times since then. https://g35driver.com/forums/4421017-post6.html

Anyway, welcome to the forum. It's always great to have new members that are willing to share their knowledge/experience while learning a new platform at the same time.

Edit:
Fwiw - When I had my X my Infiniti dealer turned the rotors the 1st time (temporary solution that lasted about 10,000km) and the 2nd time in for brakes they replaced rotors, pads and applied the splash shields as per the TSB.

Last edited by rpm&my_G35; 11-09-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh. Glad the info has been shared.

The number of people that still clamp the brakes hard at stoplights after a big hill or other aggressive stops...well...I guess the point is juddering can be caused by driver technique

I ended up ordering stoptech basic rotors (centric) and stoptech performance pads. See how those work out.

John

Old 11-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by teeterglass
Ahh. Glad the info has been shared.

The number of people that still clamp the brakes hard at stoplights after a big hill or other aggressive stops...well...I guess the point is juddering can be caused by driver technique

I ended up ordering stoptech basic rotors (centric) and stoptech performance pads. See how those work out.

John
In this case it's more likely the poor design, material or manufacturing, of a bad batch of rotors/pads. Like many, I have been driving +30 years and had more than a dozen cars. Never had 'warped' rotors before. Never had brake problems, period.

I hear good things about the Stoptechs.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
What about lets say hitting a puddle of water or something while driving? Should warp the rotor since its rapidly cooling the rotor no? Car wash?