G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

HELP: Do I need a new steering rack?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP: Do I need a new steering rack?

I have a 2007 G35 Sport. I have about 130K miles. Couple weeks ago I took a right turn pretty hard. The road was wet and the car slid into the center road divider, which was a curb. Messed up my rims pretty bad. After the accident I hear a noise coming from the front of the car when I go above 60mph. It sounds like its rotational and gets faster and louder as I go faster on the fwy. The alignment also got messed up and the car started vibrating at high speeds. I thought it might be a bent hub, took it into a trusted rim repair shop, and told me the hub wasn't bent and it was the tires that were bad. I've replaced the tires, and the guys at the tire shop told me I had a bad inner tie rod. I took the car to another trusted shop and the guy told me its not just the inner tie rod but the entire steering rack that needs replacement. I took a look at the tie rod myself when the car was up and checked the slop in the wheels. There is a lot of play when the car was lifted up and I shook the wheel hard from left to right, I could hear a clicking noise like metal on metal. I thought it might be play in the gears coming from the steering rack. Grease was also leaking from the bolts of the steering rack on the driver side. I am now looking into replacing the steering rack of my car. I don't know much about cars, but does anyone have any advice? Does this sound like i'm taking the correct approach? I've been quoted about $1000 for the steering rack and $350 for labor. I've found a couple parts online that sell the steering rack for cheaper.

sport package w/o active steering:
http://www.infinitipartsusa.com/2007...ge-s/12314.htm

Also found a remanufactured steering rack for half the cost:
http://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/2...0-01696_R.html

Should I replace my steering rack? Should I get a new one or remanufactured one?

I want to look at all the angles before I bite the bullet and spend $1350. Thanks for any advice and input!

Last edited by malicemethods; 01-12-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
If you have a leakage in your steering rack, that means you should replace it. It would cause a knocking sound when you turn the wheel if it is leaking. There's definitely some damage there. As for aftermarket or OEM, I don't know, but I would always go for OEM especially for important steering components like the steering rack.

It depends on our cost...don't you have insurance that can take care of this for you? You were involved in an accident. Do you have comprehensive coverage for your car?

Old 01-13-2013, 09:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you said that you have a lot of slop when shaking the wheel than that is usually the hub and wheel bearings honestly I would replace the Hub and wheel bearing an the inner and outer tie rod. My rack has some oil residue on the nut too and the fluid reservoir has never moved that is nothing to be alarmed about.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Dubi2087
If you said that you have a lot of slop when shaking the wheel than that is usually the hub and wheel bearings honestly I would replace the Hub and wheel bearing an the inner and outer tie rod. My rack has some oil residue on the nut too and the fluid reservoir has never moved that is nothing to be alarmed about.
Have you ever been in an accident where you hit it a hard as he had and not have to replace the steering rack?

Chances are, if he gets into an accident that big where his wheels, tires, and tie rods are damaged, the steering rack will also have suffered some damage from the impact. I guess go with his suggestion and replace the tie rods and hub and wheel bearing assembly (which still costs a couple hundred dollars.)

If things don't improve and your steering wheel still feels shifted, then it is most likely your rack also needs replacement.

Did the mechanic also take a look at your suspension components and see if everything is working normally?

Last edited by mathnerd88; 01-13-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:24 AM
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
Did the mechanic also take a look at your suspension components and see if everything is working normally?
I am going into the shop tomorrow and I will have him take a look at the other suspension components. Thank for the input.

My main concern is the rotational noise that sounds like its coming from my tires. It sounds like im running over grooves in the ground but its not constant. its like brrrr brrrr brrrr brrrr and goes faster and louder as I go faster. I don't think this is an issue with the steering rack. I will be replacing the steering rack entirely and I'll see if that helps first. Going to go with a remanufactured one from buyautoparts.com.

What could the sound be from?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by malicemethods
I am going into the shop tomorrow and I will have him take a look at the other suspension components. Thank for the input.

My main concern is the rotational noise that sounds like its coming from my tires. It sounds like im running over grooves in the ground but its not constant. its like brrrr brrrr brrrr brrrr and goes faster and louder as I go faster. I don't think this is an issue with the steering rack. I will be replacing the steering rack entirely and I'll see if that helps first. Going to go with a remanufactured one from buyautoparts.com.

What could the sound be from?
Well that kind of noise is definitely either tire noise, wheel bearing noise, or your rotors rubbing against your heat shields, which could also create noise. Those are the only components that are rotational.

I would replace the wheel bearing first and also check to see if the rotor isn't rubbing against the heat shield. Our cars are notorious for wheel bearings going bad.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:33 AM
I've replaced my steering rack and got an alignment done. My steering wheel feels stiff and responds very well. Feels brand new. Also the noise coming from my wheels is now gone. I'm surprised the periodic noise was due to the damaged rack and not wheel bearings. I paid about $375 for a remanufactured steering rack from buyautoparts.com. And $350 for labor. I highly recommend buyautoparts.com. Those guys are awesome and highly knowledgeable.

Problem has been resolved. Thank you all for your input.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:05 PM
I took my car to Santa Barbara. I live in San Diego. And I noticed that the sound can now be heard only when I'm turning right at high speeds. Before, I would be able to hear the noise at high speed regardless of the wheel turning or not. Now it's only heard when I turn the wheel even slightly to the right. I'm guessing its the wheel bearing. And before the alignment the wheel was turned to the right that's why it was constantly making that noise. I'm going to replace the wheel bearing assembly and see if that fixes the issue.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by malicemethods
I took my car to Santa Barbara. I live in San Diego. And I noticed that the sound can now be heard only when I'm turning right at high speeds. Before, I would be able to hear the noise at high speed regardless of the wheel turning or not. Now it's only heard when I turn the wheel even slightly to the right. I'm guessing its the wheel bearing. And before the alignment the wheel was turned to the right that's why it was constantly making that noise. I'm going to replace the wheel bearing assembly and see if that fixes the issue.
Yeah, I would think wheel bearing would be in worse condition than steering rack with an impact like you described.