G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Tire size options for 08s sedan?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 10:56 AM
K.C
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tire size options for 08s sedan?

I've been searching and can't seem to find what tire options there are for the 08 s sedan.
Keep in mind I am NOT asking about what brands there are but what sizes I can put on the stock 18's instead of the oem's . If any of the tire guru's could give me some choice's that I may be able to run safely without compromising performance and stability without getting new wheels.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:11 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
First off, you must not have looked very hard, because there are literally scores of threads here on this topic. That being said, your options are somewhat based on what your expectations are and what your tolerance is for compromises. Some folks want to go as wide as possible and will stuff as much tire as they can onto the stock rims. This has at least several concerns: whether the VDC (traction control) system will be adversely affected, the added (unsprung) tire weight, speedometer error, and basically whether there will actually be any true performance advantage realized. Hint: a slightly 'stretched' narrower tire will perform better than a 'pinched' wider tire on most any road course because of the stiffer sidewall. One sacrifice for this is a less 'cushy" ride though. Additionally, unless you are in the habit of switching off your VDC, then running poorly matched diameters between front and rear can cause endless annoyance by prematurely activating it at the slightest provocation.

Of course, this is all relative to your driving style and what some find acceptable/unnoticeable, others will be disappointed with. I suggest you educate yourself a little bit by looking up your stock tire and wheel specs and then, with the use of one of the many online tire size calculator tools, see what incremental steps you can take away from the stock sizes while still trying to keep a relatively close overall diameter between fronts and rears; all the while considering the relative rim widths of your staggered set. Then, once you come up with what looks like a great combo, go to some online tire stores and see if they even make the tire brand you want in those sizes, or at a price you're willing to pay.

At the end of the day, it comes down to a series of compomises for most of us. There are not a tremendous number of choices for our staggered 18" wheels. Initially, I hated being stuck with the stock BS Potenzas in stock sizing, so I went up to a 235/50 front and 255/45 rear combo. The sizing did not impress me though, and I have since returned to the stock size, but now with a great tire (PSS's) and couldn't be happier. If I ever change wheels, or at least aquire another pair of the wider stock rear wheels to use on the fronts, thereby essentially un-staggering the wheels, then I would probably just run 245/45 on both ends.

The following users liked this post:
K.C (01-15-2013)