G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G35 2007 sedan creaking and womping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 2007 sedan creaking and womping

Hi everyone I'm a new user here. This site has helped me alot maintaining my g35. I signed up to ask a question. I could not find the answer on the site. First I have a 2007 g35x sedan. It has 95000 miles and its a great car. I've gone to dealer for all maintenance recently I decided to go to a family friend for maintenance.
I no longer have warranty.

Anyways he hasn't done any work yet.

I've been having 2 problems.

1. When I drive forward the car makes a womp womp womp noise. At higher speeds 30 mph it gets louder and vibrates inside the car. Also at higher speeds it changes to a quick thud thud thud and rattles any loose parts inside the cabin. My tires need to be changed this summer. I don't know if its because of that.

2. Just today when I was in traffic and slowly creeping forward. When I have foot on brakesa creaking popping noise happens in front driver side. Going straight slowly.

I got other problems but this is the two scariest. Any help or advice please? I would be grateful

Old 01-18-2013, 04:21 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Dryad
Hi everyone I'm a new user here. This site has helped me alot maintaining my g35. I signed up to ask a question. I could not find the answer on the site. First I have a 2007 g35x sedan. It has 95000 miles and its a great car. I've gone to dealer for all maintenance recently I decided to go to a family friend for maintenance.
I no longer have warranty.

Anyways he hasn't done any work yet.

I've been having 2 problems.

1. When I drive forward the car makes a womp womp womp noise. At higher speeds 30 mph it gets louder and vibrates inside the car. Also at higher speeds it changes to a quick thud thud thud and rattles any loose parts inside the cabin. My tires need to be changed this summer. I don't know if its because of that.

2. Just today when I was in traffic and slowly creeping forward. When I have foot on brakesa creaking popping noise happens in front driver side. Going straight slowly.

I got other problems but this is the two scariest. Any help or advice please? I would be grateful
Have a mechanic take a look at your suspension components as well as tires. It may be possible that your tires are out of balance? You did mention that you need to change your tires.

I think the groaning/popping sound is from the brakes when you lift it slowly. It happens to my car too. The brake pads are rubbing the rotors inconsistently, which causes the groaning/popping noise.

If all else fails, then you have a more serious problem. You may have to check your steering components, wheel bearing, etc. Usually most places do free inspections when you get oil changes, etc.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ whs, usually the 'womp' sound is due to a bad wheel bearing so get it checked out by any mechanic and they should be able to tell you after a short drive and inspection. Also looks like you need to get your brakes checked out sooner rather than later, its hard to diagnose such problems over the net

Old 01-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by kool_yaar

... its hard to (ACCURATELY) diagnose such problems over the net.
Agreed (and edited)

Many responders here could tell in an instant if they experienced the symptoms first hand, but one man's "wump, wump" is another man's "rruhrr, rruhrr" or "vhmm, vhmm".

The following users liked this post:
kool_yaar (01-18-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 09:47 PM
Wow thanks for the quick reply.

The creaking popping is coming when I PRESS the brakes which is very weird. Because I got the brakes replaced and rotors resurfaced about 3 months ago. The sound is scary it's like when a boat is coming into dock and is rubbing on the wood. It seems like its coming from the wheel area. I think your right about suspension I remember the same thing with my 01 maxima. Ty.

The womp womp lol, I swear its a womp womp. Like when you have a nail stuck and it click clicks when you drive. It sounds like something stuck but its not. It womp womp like a dubstep song. Womp womp. My Tires are so bad. 3 year old eagle gt. it wore out so unevenly. I will ask to check the bearings.

Thank you guys. Wanna hear the other problem?

1. Air bag light blinks to death

2. Tire leaks air but has nothing stuck. A mech told me its leaking from the sensor? But one guy tells me it's not be checked with the soap water.

This car has been through hell with me

Old 01-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Wow thanks for the quick reply.

The creaking popping is coming when I PRESS the brakes which is very weird. Because I got the brakes replaced and rotors resurfaced about 3 months ago. The sound is scary it's like when a boat is coming into dock and is rubbing on the wood. It seems like its coming from the wheel area. I think your right about suspension I remember the same thing with my 01 maxima. Ty.

The womp womp lol, I swear its a womp womp. Like when you have a nail stuck and it click clicks when you drive. It sounds like something stuck but its not. It womp womp like a dubstep song. Womp womp. My Tires are so bad. 3 year old eagle gt. it wore out so unevenly. I will ask to check the bearings.

Thank you guys. Wanna hear the other problem?

1. Air bag light blinks to death

2. Tire leaks air but has nothing stuck. A mech told me its leaking from the sensor? But one guy tells me it's not be checked with the soap water.

This car has been through hell with me
I had Eagle GT's for three years on my car before I switched to Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus...it shouldn't wear out unevenly, so it looks like your alignment is not set correctly.

Have you hit potholes/curbs hard before? You might need to have a mechanic check your suspension and steering components.

As for your other questions:
1. My airbag passenger light would turn on and off at random times before. I ended up having the dealer replace my seat cushion under warranty and the problem never came back.

2. I have the same problem. I have a slow very leaky tire but no nails or anything. After I got new tires the same problem occurred. I suspect the valve stem or the sensor is leaking air, but not worth fixing/replacing when TPMS sensors are around $80 each.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:14 PM
i had the same air leak issue with no bubbles showing up in the 'tire dunk tank' after a lot of headache it did turn out to be a very slightly loose AM sensor nut near the stem that would leak once the wheels were under the cars load. tightened em up and no problems since

Old 01-18-2013, 10:20 PM
This site is great. You guys are awesome for replying so fast. Ty.

Airbag light - yes after something heavy (not a person lol) was on passenger seat this problem happened. Is it urgent to fix? If not I don't really care much as long as airbags come out if I crash (knock on wood)

Pothole - yes I have hit some NASTY pot holes over the past 6 months always front left. You are right thats gotta be it. I hit some big ones at night in Brooklyn. I will ask for that to be looked at. Thank you!

Tire leak - yeah it's not bothersome. Always both front 2 leak at the same rate. I will see if it still leaks after I get tires replaced. Do you recommend those bridge stones ? Or any other good year tire? I liked the eagle gt so far except the treads are so big that I always got glass and crap stuck in them. They also are really cracked all over the place now.

Another problem - my touch screen center console went dead for 4 days before magically working again. Before it started working again the screen flashed some message like "HDD restart". Has this happened to you guys?

Thank you guys for your input.

Have you guys thought about next car? Are you gonna stay with the G or Infiniti? I liked this car but its too small for me with no cargo space. And back seats are too cramped. Other wise it's an amazing car and hasn't been giving me that many problems like my 01 maxima.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:22 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Many times the rim has crap build up on it from where the tire seats and the bead meets the wheel. I would go through with a wire wheel and clean the rim where the bead seats on the wheel. The flanges and the part where the bead seats will get corroded and pitted over time. Clean it up real good to get a nice seal on the bead. Watch this home made video to learn how to troubleshoot and repair wheel / tire leaks. Your suspension issue could be related to compression rod bushings.

Edit: Just realized yours is a 2007 so compression rod bushing might not be your issue. Visually inspect all bushings up front and remove the front wheels to inspect your brakes and suspension.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:37 PM
This site is great. You guys are awesome for replying so fast. Ty.

Airbag light - yes after something heavy (not a person lol) was on passenger seat this problem happened. Is it urgent to fix? If not I don't really care much as long as airbags come out if I crash (knock on wood)

Pothole - yes I have hit some NASTY pot holes over the past 6 months always front left. You are right thats gotta be it. I hit some big ones at night in Brooklyn. I will ask for that to be looked at. Thank you!

Tire leak - yeah it's not bothersome. Always both front 2 leak at the same rate. I will see if it still leaks after I get tires replaced. Do you recommend those bridge stones ? Or any other good year tire? I liked the eagle gt so far except the treads are so big that I always got glass and crap stuck in them. They also are really cracked all over the place now.

Another problem - my touch screen center console went dead for 4 days before magically working again. Before it started working again the screen flashed some message like "HDD restart". Has this happened to you guys?

Thank you guys for your input.

Have you guys thought about next car? Are you gonna stay with the G or Infiniti? I liked this car but its too small for me with no cargo space. And back seats are too cramped. Other wise it's an amazing car and hasn't been giving me that many problems like my 01 maxima.
As for the airbag, that is exactly my problem. My airbag light would turn on and off even after a heavy person sat in the passenger seat. The dealer reluctantly replaced my seat cushion but the problem never came back. I recorded a video and showed my service advisor the airbag problem and told him that this is a safety issue. If airbags don't deploy in an accident it could seriously injure my passenger.

If you like quiet touring/sport tires with very good confidence in the rain or snow, I would recommend the Bridgestones or the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. I chose the Bridgestones since they have 75,000 miles treadlife warranty. They were much quieter and had better traction than the Eagle GT's...you can look at the reviews on TireRack for the tires. Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus just came out this past summer so it is a very new tire. I also live in the Northeast and drove from Boston to NJ during the winter storm three weeks ago and the tires handled beautifully and allowed me to drive faster than most vehicles on the interstate without slipping. It really tested my AWD system, and I'm proud to say it helps a lot. I picked up my tires from TownFairTire at a good price and had them price matched to Costho with their $100 off promotion during the summer last year. I think I paid a total of around $600 including mounting and balancing. They also do free lifetime rotations, flat repair, and road hazard warranty all for free.

As for the touch screen console dying...that's a problem I've never heard of before. It's possible that your HDD is going bad since hard drives do go bad when there's shock applied to it.

As for the next car, I believe it all depends on what you like. I personally think the new Infiniti Q50 is a nice car, as well as the 2014 Lexus IS, but so far, my 2007 G35x is still running perfectly smooth after 72k miles, albeit lots of warranty work done.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 01-18-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:44 PM
post a pic of your car so we can see how well its holding up roll

Old 01-19-2013, 12:39 PM
AS to the wump wump, apparently you know you need new tires anyway, so it would seem to be a no-brainer to start there. Next, given that you will have just installed new tires and you know you've clobbered a few potholes really good, an alignment job would be prudent. If after that you still have wump wump, then I would look into the wheel bearing possibility. These cars apparently do have 'soft' bearings a that can be imprinted as a result of a significant impact. (see here: http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/loca...p=10&keyid=419 )

Creaking and popping in the front when braking can be caused by the twisting of the bushings in the front suspension under compression as a result of the weight shift. A quick test is to spray some lube in and around the rubber bushings, paying particular attention to sway bar bushings, and see if it goes away after it works in a bit. Also, if this is the case, you may be able to produce the symptomatic sounds by driving slowly but steadily over some speed bumps without braking. If it does it then, without the brakes being applied, you can be pretty sure it's just suspension and not brake related.

As to the slow tire leak, I would suggest you simply get the TPMS valve rebulid kits installed when you next replace the tires. They are very inexpensive if you shop around for them. I think Costco charged me $3 a piece for them.

If your airbag light is reacting when you have a fairly heavy weight on your front seat, but not when you have either a full person's weight or nothing on the seat, then I suspect that while it may be possible that the weight sensor is getting flakey, it could also just be doing it's job properly too. The modern airbag systems should not inflate if there is no one in the seat, and should inflate with different force if there is someone fairly light in the seat as opposed to full inflation force for a heavy person. If you put a marginally heavy enough weight on the seat, or an irregularly shaped mass, such that it applies pressure differently around the seat cusion, then the natural weight shifting that occurs as you drive can cause the sensor's threshold to trip constantly.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Mathnerd- Ty for the tire suggestion I think I'll grab those when its time to replace the tires. Yeah the center console went dead once. The ac the radio the screen nothing worked. But it magically restarted working again.
Faiz- ill ask the mechanic if he can check for me.
Kool- the outside of the car is in fantastic shape. Lol, I did get everything nearly replaced after that freak hailstorm crushed the car like a fist from god.
Vqsmile - ill ask to check those things out. Next time I'm at the mech. Although... I honestly don't know what bushings or anything else you guys mentioned are. Don't know what they look like or where they are lol. Ill have to google it later.

Thank you guys for your input. Appreciate it. Really I do.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:19 AM
Post some pics man i want to see how it looks having been through all that unbelievable stuff you stated looks like you either have the worst of luck ... what color is the interior and exterior?

Old 01-20-2013, 02:37 AM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
Post some pics man i want to see how it looks having been through all that unbelievable stuff you stated looks like you either have the worst of luck ... what color is the interior and exterior?
Hey kool, just one more post to go, you're right at 4999 posts.

SO ... let me be the first to say congrats on (imminently) hiting 5K!

The following users liked this post:
kool_yaar (01-20-2013)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 2007 sedan creaking and womping