G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Is there a Head light aim adjuster??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Yeah...I did mine using the manual adjustment method and it never changed back...I've never noticed my headlights pitching up or down on hills or uneven height roads...

On my Lexus, I notice the headlight levels changing all the time while I'm driving on hilly roads.

The following users liked this post:
kool_yaar (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 03:29 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
This is straight form the owners manual so hopefully this in enough to clarify everything now

So the car does actually change/auto aim the headlights as per road conditions(hills etc) and weight in the car but its a bit subtle and not as instant as perhaps your lexus, the weight issue iv experienced myself and it takes a couple of seconds before the lighst aim drops so perhaps on hilly or such roads when there is a lot of change the system is just not quick enough and honesty at least for me i dont even need it to do that as long as it can adjust to weight in the back to keep the lights from blinding on coming trafiic , with that being said the new FX headlights adjust instantly from what i saw when i test drove it on every hill and such so it seems infiniti has improved the response time for its future models

Last edited by kool_yaar; 02-20-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:54 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by kool_yaar

... so seems as if VQ was right again lol ...

...hope it clears some of the confusion

Thanks kool, you saved me having to do my homework on this one.

kool_yaar (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 08:06 PM
^ lol youve saved me a lot of time on research on few occasions as well so lets call it even!

Old 02-20-2013, 10:00 PM
Hmm, my impression was that the headlights pivot 2.3 degrees from your starting position, meaning that it probably adjusts from what you already adjusted higher or lower...It says it adjusts the axis gap from the PRESET POSITION. I would assume that when I adjusted my headlights, the preset position would be the level I manually adjusted it to be while the car is off.

This is from the FSM:
Headlamp Auto Aiming Operation
• AFS control unit calculates the vehicle pitch angle from the height sensor signal. AFS control unit judges the
angle for adjusting the axis gap from the preset position.
CAUTION:
Adjusted axis position may differ from the preset position although the headlamp auto aiming activates properly if the suspension is replaced or worn.
• AFS control unit controls the headlamp axis by changing the aiming motor drive signal output according to
the vehicle-rearward height when detecting the following vehicle condition. Output is maintained if other condition than following is detected.

Think about it...why would there be a manual adjustment **** for a vehicle with AFS if it is controlled by a computer anyways for headlight leveling?

Look at FSM on page EXL-186...with the diagram about manually adjusting headlight levels...
The figure is the vehicle without AFS. Each adjustment screw is applied to the vehicle with AFS.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 02-20-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:15 PM
Sounds to me like there is a static adjustment to be set, but that the system can then dynamically alter it from it's basis there. As I said before though, if your beams are misaligned, how can you be sure which one is causing the error; in theory it could be that the static is off, or it could be that the dynamic has gone haywire (at least to an extent).

Old 02-20-2013, 11:35 PM
Premier Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have an 08 sedan with AFS, after i had lowered my car my headlights were pointing into the ground. I tried to manually adjust them myself but once i started the car the headlights readjusted down to its previous spot. I had to go to Infiniti and use the Consult III program to ave them adjusted properly. Dealer said rear suspension has a laser to adjust for the saggy trunk as was mentioned before. I have heard people being able to manually adjust AFS lights before. So my question is do the people who have manually adjusted have the fully loaded G? adaptive cruise, nav, camera, ect? This could be one of those features they sneak in with something else?

Old 02-21-2013, 12:11 AM
^ yup thats what my impression is and i have a fully loaded G and have seen the lights adjust when i have people/weight in the back from what i have seen as long as you have AFS your car auto adjusts the headlight aim though limited but also has a manual adjustment ****. As i said in my first post imy understanding is also taht the manual **** would be to adjust the default state of the headlight then the auto takes over from there on but it seems its not the case for some.

Now people like soundmike have been able to successfully adjust their AFS lights manually while others had similar issue as swagger where it went back to stock position after adjusting manually and had to go use the consult III for permanent aiming so it is a strange situation much like the TB idle reset requirement after cleaning where some have the issue others dont following the same procedure...

Old 02-21-2013, 12:37 AM
Yeah, count me as similar to Mike's situation...I also have the tech package with the adaptive cruise control...It's also possible that people adjusted their headlights while the car is on...perhaps if the car was turned off then the AFS control module will reset...That could be the problem...adjusting the headlights while the car is on idle...it may need to be turned off to reset the starting position of the manual adjustment ****.

Oh...and my TB was cleaned and had no problems when DIY was followed...

Old 02-21-2013, 02:42 AM
. . . and so (20 posts later) the bottom line (still) is, given that the OP has AFS he MAY need to consider there's more to the procedure if just a static adjustment doesn't correct things for him.

/thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Premier Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I believe thats what it comes too, if it helps for the OP, when i took my car into the dealer to have them adjust it, they only charged me around $60, took about 20min. Worth it in my mind, no headache or wondering if they were to high or to low. An option if needed.

shuref00t (02-25-2013)