G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Is there a Head light aim adjuster??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 03:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there a Head light aim adjuster??

I bought an 07 few months ago, and I've noticed that drivers bulb is not leveled, is there an adjusting bolt just like the old cars or I have to take off the lamp?? Any advices ?lmk

Posted from G35driver.com App for Android

Old 02-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
A good diy HERE thanks to soundmike

The following users liked this post:
soundmike (02-20-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
^^ Yep, that Mike guy is a real overachiever.

OP, if you want you can also go here (http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/loca...n&pp=10&page=2 ) and download the entire factory service manual for free, or just the lighting section if you prefer. It's all free just for registering on the site.

soundmike (02-20-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 05:09 PM
Cool ima go ahead and adjust it this weekend, thanks guys appreciate it..

Old 02-19-2013, 05:34 PM
One last consideration: Does your car have the AFS (adaptive front lighting system) option? If it does, then I'm sure there's more to it than just the basic adjustment.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:52 AM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile
One last consideration: Does your car have the AFS (adaptive front lighting system) option? If it does, then I'm sure there's more to it than just the basic adjustment.
I have the AFS option and you can adjust the headlights the same way as the headlights with the non AFS option. There's a gear you can turn using your screwdriver to raise/lower the headlights.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:37 AM
It does have the AFS.. But what else to do with such system?

Old 02-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by mathnerd88

I have the AFS option and you can adjust the headlights the same way as the headlights with the non AFS option. There's a gear you can turn using your screwdriver to raise/lower the headlights.
Are you saying the alignment procedures are the same then? Given that the light can be moved and adjusted dynamically, I just assumed there was surely more to its alignment procedure than just the static adjustment. Guess I'll have to double check the manaul; I thought for sure you had to utilize the Consult III system to verify alignment.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Are you saying the alignment procedures are the same then? Given that the light can be moved and adjusted dynamically, I just assumed there was surely more to its alignment procedure than just the static adjustment. Guess I'll have to double check the manaul; I thought for sure you had to utilize the Consult III system to verify alignment.
For the AFS, there is no auto headlight leveler adjustment, meaning it doesn't automatically try to adjust the headlights up or down. All AFS does is to pivot the headlights right or left, so it is actually not really as advanced as other cars out there like the Lexus AFS. For the Lexus AFS, there is auto headlight level adjustment, so the headlights also pivot up or down and you may need to tinker with the computer system for that one.

The gear on the Infiniti headlight only moves the headlights up or down, but not left or right. I adjusted my AFS headlights, which is exactly the same as the non-AFS version, because I followed the DIY for cars with the Non-AFS option.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by MeGxican35
It does have the AFS.. But what else to do with such system?

If you have the AFS, and your lights are misadjusted, how do you know if it's caused by the static adjustement or the dynamic function being wrong?

Old 02-20-2013, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
For the AFS, there is no auto headlight leveler adjustment, meaning it doesn't automatically try to adjust the headlights up or down. All AFS does is to pivot the headlights right or left, so it is actually not really as advanced as other cars out there like the Lexus AFS. For the Lexus AFS, there is auto headlight level adjustment, so the headlights also pivot up or down and you may need to tinker with the computer system for that one.

The gear on the Infiniti headlight only moves the headlights up or down, but not left or right. I adjusted my AFS headlights, which is exactly the same as the non-AFS version, because I followed the DIY for cars with the Non-AFS option.
Ok, sounds reasonable. Like I said, I haven't read the manual on it; just assumed there was a potential there.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:48 AM
If you have the AFS, and your lights are misadjusted, how do you know if it's caused by the static adjustement or the dynamic function be wrong?
There really isn't a "dynamic" function in the AFS headlights. All it does is pivot the headlights right or left horizontally based on your speed and the turn of your steering wheel. If you are in drive but fully stopped, and you turn your steering wheel to the right, the right headlight also move to the right...but the opposite doesn't hold true since you need to be above 18mph for the left headlight to turn. I suppose this is due to not blinding drivers traveling in the opposite lane.

My AFS headlights were adjusted too low, so I had to manually adjust them with the gears for both of them. There's no true dynamic function in them, which is why they only cost $100 extra per headlight retail compared to the non-AFS headlight.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 02-20-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:26 PM
If you dump a lot of heavy stuff into your cars trunk which makes the rear sag, the G(at least with AFS not sure about non-afs) will automatically adjust the headlights to aim a bit lower up to a certain degree nothing too drastic so you dont blind on coming traffic. The DIY link posted by soundmike is for AFS and also has a non-afs adjustment pic at the end as well but fyi the manual adjustment is to set the default aiming with no load the lights then use that default setting to auto adjust(self leveling) from hence forth from what iv personally experienced and am 99% sure but will check the FSM to confirm later today and change the post if need be...

EDIT:Ok just googled real quick to confirm as per the FSM if your car has AFS then your car does in fact come with auto leveling headlights up/down as can be seen in post 17 straight form the FSM HERE... so seems as if VQ was right again lol using the consult III you can adjust the height for good as you can search and see online manual adjustment on AFS lights doesnt seem to be 'permanent' as said by many members with lowered Gs that have AFS ...hope it clears some of the confusion

Last edited by kool_yaar; 02-20-2013 at 03:20 PM.
vqsmile (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 02:46 PM
I don't believe this...cuz I did it on my car and there's a gear adjuster to level the headlights and mine is also AFS.

The G has a different AFS system than the other AFS systems on the Infiniti cars. If this were the case, the car would've tried adjusting the headlights once at startup like the Lexus does for auto-leveling. If there is auto-leveler then why are there gears where you can manually adjust the height of the headlight beam?

Btw, they NEVER adjusted themselves back down after I started the car again.

People in g37 forums are also experiencing the same thing:
http://www.myg37.com/forums/2977010-post52.html

Soundmike also has the AFS headlights, and he seems to also have adjusted them the same way with no problems.
http://gshack.org/?p=225

Last edited by mathnerd88; 02-20-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:14 PM
^ tahts what i said in my previous post that soundmike did his on AFS lights much like the post you posted is from mike as well. if you read through the other post i linked from g35ny (i forgot to add teh html link so i just added it ) you can see that our afs is in fact auto leveling and has manual adjustment **** as seen in mikes diy it remained fine for some and went back for some much like how the after cleaning the TB some of to do the reset others dont. try manual first if it works else best way is consult III. Google and you'll find many opposing views but the FSM would be the one that i believe plus iv experienced the beam lower slightly myself after having three people sit in the back

Last edited by kool_yaar; 02-20-2013 at 03:26 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is there a Head light aim adjuster??