G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Romoving Oil Cap 2007 Sport Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 03:31 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
So were u able to get the cap off? Like many said u just need some brute force. Also be careful when adding more oil as not to overfill. After adding some oil let it drain down to the pan and check the level before adding more oil.

With that said form here on out try to check the oil level every weekend if you can to check and see if your car really is burning that much oil in which case its not normal since the newer VQ35HR are not supposed to burn oil unlike the issue they had with some older DE igh rev engines.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
So were u able to get the cap off? Like many said u just need some brute force. Also be careful when adding more oil as not to overfill. After adding some oil let it drain down to the pan and check the level before adding more oil.

With that said form here on out try to check the oil level every weekend if you can to check and see if your car really is burning that much oil in which case its not normal since the newer VQ35HR are not supposed to burn oil unlike the issue they had with some older DE igh rev engines.
I took the advice of taking off the plastic engine cover and it made taking off the cap so much easier. I was able to leverage both hands with the cover off and the cap came off pretty easy, but it was still way over-tightened before.

I bought two quarts but i waited after the first quart as you suggested and now the oil level is back on high. I will keep checking on the oil level periodically now that I know this engine burns oil.

Thanks everyone for the help on such an easy job. Still trying to get over the fear of doing little things on the car.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:42 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Seekinganswers, you shouldn't be afraid to tackle some maintenance yourself! Watch your mechanic, buy a few tools and invest a little $ in simple things so you can do oil changes yourself. I learned from my Dad at the age of 5 by watching and asking questions. Guess I caught my OCD from him?
Gary

Old 04-27-2013, 10:42 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ whs plus with the abundance of detailed DIY videos on youtube by good mechanics/shops you can see exactly how to do basic maintenance things on your exact car before you actually go out and do it which should help boost your confidence

Old 04-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gary c
Seekinganswers, you shouldn't be afraid to tackle some maintenance yourself! Watch your mechanic, buy a few tools and invest a little $ in simple things so you can do oil changes yourself. I learned from my Dad at the age of 5 by watching and asking questions. Guess I caught my OCD from him?
Gary
I have about $500 in quality hand tools and an OTC aluminum jack and jack stands I bought to work on the little things on my car. One of the first thing I tried to do was change out the xenon bulb and i ended up breaking the tabs that held the bulb in place and I was worried I would have to put out a lot of money for new headlight housing because I botched up a simple job. It was a good thing my mechanic was able to fix that for me. That was where my fear has stemmed from on working on this car, but I intend to do small projects and services on my own. I did successfully installed an aftermarket shift ****, and while it was a pain in the ***, i was quite proud of myself and very happy with the end result.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to sign up for an account to speak to you. The fault is with you little smelly pansies. OBVIOUSLY, he is going to give a damn full report of his car maintenance activities. What are you dumb?! He asked a simple question no need for all that your just being a **** about things that is all!

Old 01-25-2018, 06:48 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
The following users liked this post:
cleric670 (03-24-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 11:15 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Originally Posted by John Doe
I had to sign up for an account to speak to you. The fault is with you little smelly pansies. OBVIOUSLY, he is going to give a damn full report of his car maintenance activities. What are you dumb?! He asked a simple question no need for all that your just being a **** about things that is all!
You necro'd a 5 year old thread for this?

Old 03-24-2018, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To the person who said HE WAS NOT TAKING GOOD CARE OF HIS CAR

Hello all. I have a 2004 G35 coupe w/ 6 speed manual transmission. Every time I change the oil in this vehicle or simply want to check the oil level the cap wont come off unless i use channel locks. I've on 11 cars in my life & do the maintenance myself. I have never in my life experienced a situation like this every single time I want to remove that oil cap I don't care if you put it on just snug. NOT TIGHT AT ALL. It will still be extremely difficult to get off , nearly impossible by hand. It seems to be a common problem on this vehicle for some reason and that guy was just simply explaining he has the same issue it has nothing to do with him not taking care of his vehicle

Old 03-24-2018, 05:22 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I haven't been able to explain it either, when I put my oil cap back on I just BARELY tighten it at all, not even bottomed out but you can feel when the gasket starts to compress and I stop right after and that oil cap ALWAYS takes both hands to remove the next week when I check my oil again.