G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Front-end creaking / cracking noise after idling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same annoying problem in Dallas! 105 outside and the creaking begins.

Posted from G35driver.com App for Android

Old 09-10-2013, 08:57 PM
did anybody figure the loud metallic squeaking noise coming from the front end when going over un even surfaces?? I have the same problem and it is usually not there in the first 30 mins of drive....

Old 09-20-2013, 11:49 AM
had this problem for months....annoyed the hell out of my driving experience..so took it to the dealer and it is the swaybar bushings that they will be replacing and its covered through my route66 extended warranty......orlando infinti has pretty good techs that tend diagnose things really well....

Old 06-19-2014, 02:03 AM
Creaking and cracking sounds like the suspension is trashed

Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, I have had the exact thing going on in my 2008 G35 sedan for years. It used to be once in a while and now it is much more consistent. It does the same thing when it is hot and the car has been idling. Sounds like the cars suspension is falling apart and its creaks and cracks like mad until I turn the car off and it cools down again. It drives me mad. What is it?

Old 06-19-2014, 02:07 AM
Originally Posted by lophix
This initially happened about a month and a half ago. I was parked at a store and went in to grab some items while my wife waited in the running / idling car, A/C running.

I came back between 5 & 10 minutes later and pulled out. As I went over a bump, I heard a mild creak. As I went over subsequent bumps, the creaks got louder and more horrible - pretty much a cracking noise loud enough to draw attention to anyone standing by as I went into and over small dips bumps.

I immediately went to the local Nissan dealer. I had to wait for ~ 20 mins for a tech to go on a test drive. Vehicle was off during the wait. Tech was finally free and hopped in the car with me and the sound was gone and I couldn't replicate. I felt like a retard.

Since then, it's happened two more times and I think I've isolated the occurrence to idling the vehicle for at least 5 minutes in very hot weather (>80*)

My initial thought on a culprit is fluid motor / transmission mounts or potentially ball joints of some sort but I honestly have no idea.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Edit: This is on an 07 G35S AT
I have the exact same issue. Its been going on for years and drives me mad. Used to be once in a while and now its all the time especially when its hot outside. If I leave my car idling for two long like sitting still for longer than 5 minutes it triggers it. Sounds like the entire suspension is failing. Creaks and cracks like mad sounds horrible. When I turn the car off and let it cool down it stops. What is it? Anyone? My father in laws a mechanic and I can never get him to understand because its hard to duplicate at times.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:08 AM
I'm in Houston and it only does it when its hot. Summers suck

Old 07-11-2014, 10:55 PM
I have this exact problem and I can confirm that it only happens after I have had the AC running for awhile. The creaking is LOUD, sounds like the chassis is going to just fall on itself. Anyone have any ideas?

07 G35 Sedan

Old 07-12-2014, 03:12 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Hmm I had this too recently, it sounded like the front left suspension was majorly ****ed, but there was nothing wrong other than the noise.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I finally got this issue resolved just last week!! This after taking it in to an Infiniti dealer 4 times.

The biggest challenge with this problem is replicating it to the service tech. Initially, I would take the car in, describe the problem, they would drive it and not have it occur. This would inevitably be followed by the "yea...you are an inebriated pain in the a$$" look.

I found that if I idled in the lot across from the dealership for 10minutes till the front end was cracking like heck, I could then show up, take someone for a test drive and have them hear it. Piece of cake right? Wrong. I took the manager with me and he heard it and confirmed it was front end suspension noise. So they concluded it was the sway bar links. Sweet. Get it done.

I picked the car up a week later (I was out of town) and on the drive home, it sounded like roses. The day after, I got stuck in traffic and that wonderful joyous cracking erupted loud and proud. I called the dealer up and I took it in again. The tech that worked on it came out ticked off, and requested from the manager that someone else look at it. In his words, "someone with younger ears." So they brought out a younger tech. Very polite chap. I made sure the entire time I was talking with them, the car was idling just outside.

Went for a test drive with the tech which consisted of me taking a left turn in their lot at which the tech said "OMG that's loud and I know exactly what that is!"

He proceeds to put my car on a lift, tear into the suspension and manually wiggled the sway bar and replicated the sound (I was in the waiting room watching Argentina play someone else..)

He came back and said it was the bushing on the sway bar that was creaking and that because he didn't have the part on hand, he would lubricate it until the part came in and that should shut it up. It did.

The part came in and they replaced it for free. 1 year later, and about 10 total trips to get this issue diagnosed (between two shops) the issue is now resolved.

I can provide part numbers if necessary.

Cliff notes: freaking sway bar bushings.

Last edited by lophix; 07-16-2014 at 09:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vqsmile (07-16-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 10:04 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Soccer sucks

You should have done more research, it would a been faster. No offense, but its very commonly known that end links, compression rods, sway bar bushings, tie rods and control arms are the cause of clunks, cracks, snaps and pops 98% of the time in our cars. I don't know how you dealt with that for a year. Haha I'd trade the car in.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:44 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts

I finally got this issue resolved just last week!! This after taking it in to an Infiniti dealer 4 times.

Yes! I just knew it. I been calling them out as the most likely suspect of the "deathly creaking" for years now, glad someone finally confirmed it.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:01 PM
Center sway bar bushings or end links?

The biggest challenge with this problem is replicating it to the service tech. Initially, I would take the car in, describe the problem, they would drive it and not have it occur. This would inevitably be followed by the "yea...you are an inebriated pain in the a$$" look.

I found that if I idled in the lot across from the dealership for 10minutes till the front end was cracking like heck, I could then show up, take someone for a test drive and have them hear it. Piece of cake right? Wrong. I took the manager with me and he heard it and confirmed it was front end suspension noise. So they concluded it was the sway bar links. Sweet. Get it done.

I picked the car up a week later (I was out of town) and on the drive home, it sounded like roses. The day after, I got stuck in traffic and that wonderful joyous cracking erupted loud and proud. I called the dealer up and I took it in again. The tech that worked on it came out ticked off, and requested from the manager that someone else look at it. In his words, "someone with younger ears." So they brought out a younger tech. Very polite chap. I made sure the entire time I was talking with them, the car was idling just outside.

Went for a test drive with the tech which consisted of me taking a left turn in their lot at which the tech said "OMG that's loud and I know exactly what that is!"

He proceeds to put my car on a lift, tear into the suspension and manually wiggled the sway bar and replicated the sound (I was in the waiting room watching Argentina play someone else..)

He came back and said it was the bushing on the sway bar that was creaking and that because he didn't have the part on hand, he would lubricate it until the part came in and that should shut it up. It did.

The part came in and they replaced it for free. 1 year later, and about 10 total trips to get this issue diagnosed (between two shops) the issue is now resolved.

I can provide part numbers if necessary.

I have the exact thing happening. 2007 G35S. I replaced the center sway bar bushings yesterday but it has rained all day today and hasn't been warm enough to duplicate. Just curious, was it the 2 center sway arm bushings?

Thanks for posting. This has been helpful.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:46 AM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Another follow up on this:

After a recent heat spell, I finally got sick of it and pulled the sway bushings off and lubed the snot out of them with silicone and figured that would be the end of it. Well, as it turns out, it did absolutely nothing to the noise.

OOOOkay, so next, I put the car up on ramps, dropped the belly pan (again), opened the hood and made my wife climb up on the radiator support, then had her bounce up and down while I listened from underneath. Sonofab&*tch if it wasn't those same bushings I just lubed (still dripping yet) that were squeaking up a storm.

After removing them again, I noted that the inner mating surface of the bushing rubber (to the bar) was all rough and textured, like an inner fibrous weave was starting to come through (reinforcing maybe?). Anyway, I also noted that the sway bar also felt rough, with little ridges running parallel to the bar all around its circumference, but only where the rubber had been covering it. It appears that the roughness of the fiber inside the old bushings had worn grooves into the powder coated paint on the sway bar. This is most likely what was causing all the racket, in spite of the generous portion of some very slippery silicon lube that I'd used.

So, I called up local Infiniti and Nissan dealerships in my area for pricing on replacement bushings. Infiniti wanted something like $16 a piece, while Nissan had them for (what they claimed was full "list" price of) $7.42 each. Same exact part, with the same exact part number, in the same exact bag, with the same exact labeling. Thanks for nothing Infiniti!

I went ahead and used some scotch brite pad to buff the sway bar smooth again before installing the new bushings and added a swab of some silicone grease before buttoning them up. It's been a few weeks now, and after some more 95* weather, with the AC running flat out (to generate as much heat on them as possible), I can finally say that the dreaded squeak is GONE!

TLDR: It's the sway bushings! Lube alone won't do it; you need to replace them and make sure the bar is smooth where it meets them.

/thread

Old 10-03-2014, 10:14 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Sounds like a pain in the ***. Thanks for the very informative post however. I have yet to hear the sound again since that first time, despite doing some summer driving in 110 degree weather. Fingers crossed, haha

Old 01-09-2015, 11:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Another follow up on this:

After a recent heat spell, I finally got sick of it and pulled the sway bushings off and lubed the snot out of them with silicone and figured that would be the end of it. Well, as it turns out, it did absolutely nothing to the noise.

OOOOkay, so next, I put the car up on ramps, dropped the belly pan (again), opened the hood and made my wife climb up on the radiator support, then had her bounce up and down while I listened from underneath. Sonofab&*tch if it wasn't those same bushings I just lubed (still dripping yet) that were squeaking up a storm.

After removing them again, I noted that the inner mating surface of the bushing rubber (to the bar) was all rough and textured, like an inner fibrous weave was starting to come through (reinforcing maybe?). Anyway, I also noted that the sway bar also felt rough, with little ridges running parallel to the bar all around its circumference, but only where the rubber had been covering it. It appears that the roughness of the fiber inside the old bushings had worn grooves into the powder coated paint on the sway bar. This is most likely what was causing all the racket, in spite of the generous portion of some very slippery silicon lube that I'd used.

So, I called up local Infiniti and Nissan dealerships in my area for pricing on replacement bushings. Infiniti wanted something like $16 a piece, while Nissan had them for (what they claimed was full "list" price of) $7.42 each. Same exact part, with the same exact part number, in the same exact bag, with the same exact labeling. Thanks for nothing Infiniti!

I went ahead and used some scotch brite pad to buff the sway bar smooth again before installing the new bushings and added a swab of some silicone grease before buttoning them up. It's been a few weeks now, and after some more 95* weather, with the AC running flat out (to generate as much heat on them as possible), I can finally say that the dreaded squeak is GONE!

TLDR: It's the sway bushings! Lube alone won't do it; you need to replace them and make sure the bar is smooth where it meets them.

/thread

Hey this is very great to hear, can I get the part number for the nissan part? Also would it cross reference with the 08 g35x?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front-end creaking / cracking noise after idling