G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Third brake light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 11:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Third brake light

I have the factory rear spoiler that I may be ditching for a carbon signals rear deck lip. It has the third brake light molded in as they all do. It looks like there is the non-spoiler third brake still mounted in the rear deck behind the glass. Does anyone know if that is a functioning third brake light that I can hook back up if I ditch the spoiler? I hope it isn't just a lense.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When they have the factory spoiler with the LED brake light, they just disconnect the one on the rear deck. So there should be a connector that you just reconnect to enable it again.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:26 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Actually if i remember correctly if you had spoiler installed from factory then it does not have the third brake lamp assembly installed, all it has is the clear front lens in front of the 3rd brake light an dyou need to buy and replace it with a complete 3rd brake lamp assembly. Since i cant recall 100% please confirm by looking through the trunk before buying

Old 06-23-2013, 09:40 PM
Ya, I was hoping someone knew for sure since accessing it would mean pulling the rear seats and trim. Not something I wanted to do this week. Guess I will have to dig in!

Old 06-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I just had all this apart; you dont need to remove the seats. All you need to do is pull down the trunk liner - about 4 clips and 2 minutes - and you'll be able to see and/or access the connector for the third brake light.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by aktif8
I just had all this apart; you dont need to remove the seats. All you need to do is pull down the trunk liner - about 4 clips and 2 minutes - and you'll be able to see and/or access the connector for the third brake light.
I pulled mine down as well but did not see a plug hanging. I could See that 2 screws that would hold the light were in place and coming through the deck. Do you have a pic of the plug or know what color the wire is? I could possible try fishing it put from where it is hiding.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:39 AM
Has anyone else on the thread removed their factory spoiler? I got a quote yesterday to plug the holes and repaint. They wanted $700! They were going to weld the holes before smoothing and repainting. Is this price absurd or does it sound about right? They did admit their prices would be higher than others. They are certified by the VW group so they are forced to use their paint. They have very high end cars in and out all of the time and the work quality is excellent from what I have seen. May not be worth it on this one. I am looking at $1300 for a flipping spoiler change. Anyone want to trade!? Lol.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by NeverEnough02
Has anyone else on the thread removed their factory spoiler? I got a quote yesterday to plug the holes and repaint. They wanted $700! They were going to weld the holes before smoothing and repainting. Is this price absurd or does it sound about right? They did admit their prices would be higher than others. They are certified by the VW group so they are forced to use their paint. They have very high end cars in and out all of the time and the work quality is excellent from what I have seen. May not be worth it on this one. I am looking at $1300 for a flipping spoiler change. Anyone want to trade!? Lol.
That makes no sense, if they are going to paint it, they could buy a brand new trunk and paint it for less than that. It would be even cheaper still if you picked up a used trunk lid and just had it repainted. ANY respectable body shop should know this.

(I'd find a new shop)

Old 06-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
That makes no sense, if they are going to paint it, they could buy a brand new trunk and paint it for less than that. It would be even cheaper still if you picked up a used trunk lid and just had it repainted. ANY respectable body shop should know this.

(I'd find a new shop)
I know right?! They even mentioned that. I told them I may just have the rear spoiler reprinted (bird crap marks right to the primer) and see is someone would be willing to trade. I took a look at quite a few Porsches and Mercedes while I was there and the work was stellar but damn, $700 seemed a little crazy. They quoted $150 to pull the spoiler off and paint it which seemed low actually. I am going to shop around a bit more.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Not long ago, there was someone selling them, brand new, with factory paint colors for ridiculously low prices on ebay. They were genuine factory parts. I actually bought one, but it was damaged in shipping, so I returned and got a refund. Others here got them and were quite happy with them. It's a simple enough job to DIY; there's even a couple write-ups here somewhere so you might want to look into that option as well.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Not long ago, there was someone selling them, brand new, with factory paint colors for ridiculously low prices on ebay. They were genuine factory parts. I actually bought one, but it was damaged in shipping, so I returned and got a refund. Others here got them and were quite happy with them. It's a simple enough job to DIY; there's even a couple write-ups here somewhere so you might want to look into that option as well.
Yes will do! I actually got a refinished OEM rear bumper in my tahoe and the paint work was too notch. Did go to a few other body shops and they all quoted about the same. The problem is the bottom of the trunk in not accessible. The mounting holes go through a brace making welding a much more of a mission. I may look into that trunk lid vendor. Great thinking!