G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

2nd Gen GASKET PROBLEMS ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 11:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2nd Gen GASKET PROBLEMS ??

Have many 2nd Gen G35 owners had Gasket problems ??

Here is what happened to mine:

Just got a call from my Infiniti Dealer (Brossard Infiniti) in Quebec, they told me that they found the gasket leak causing the pressure drop and thus making the chain tensioner not to perform correctly ,..... But the bad news was they also found some dried cooling liquid in a area were it should;nt be ,meaning another leak !!

Now they have to take the whole engine out to change these gaskets !!

They say it's about 15-20 hour job ! ,... I'm luckily barely under warrenty,1000 miles left

Im very suprised , car has only 111,000 km (69000m), always used Mobil1 synthetic oil, and i have'nt seem to hear about Gasket failures often , I

Ithink I will start a thread asking about Gasket failures in second Gen G's ???

Old 07-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm positive I have this same problem, but the shop refuses to check into it in depth to verify this exact issue.
Wonder how I can get them to check for this exact issue as my recurring SES light is most certainly this very issue.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
2nd gen "GASKET" problems?

Randy, I think it would be useful to be far more specific with your question here. It will definitely help when you get an invoice that breaks down which specific gasket is involved in your particular situation, as there are numerous gaskets in the engine, many which could potentially affect oil pressure. As far as your repair being anything common, I sure haven't heard of it here, and I would think 20 hour repair jobs would certainly stand out! Generally speaking, the fact that the engine needs to be pulled to perform the work seems quite unusual, and makes me wonder if there is more to this problem than meets the eye. If your engine HAS suffered generally low oil pressure, I hope there are no further issue resulting from it. I look forward to more info about your repair as it wraps up, and will be interesting to see how this unfolds for the greater G community.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by Canadian35x
I'm positive I have this same problem, but the shop refuses to check into it in depth to verify this exact issue.
Wonder how I can get them to check for this exact issue as my recurring SES light is most certainly this very issue.
What is the fault code on your SES light?

Old 07-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
2nd gen "GASKET" problems?

Randy, I think it would be useful to be far more specific with your question here. It will definitely help when you get an invoice that breaks down which specific gasket is involved in your particular situation, as there are numerous gaskets in the engine, many which could potentially affect oil pressure. As far as your repair being anything common, I sure haven't heard of it here, and I would think 20 hour repair jobs would certainly stand out! Generally speaking, the fact that the engine needs to be pulled to perform the work seems quite unusual, and makes me wonder if there is more to this problem than meets the eye. If your engine HAS suffered generally low oil pressure, I hope there are no further issue resulting from it. I look forward to more info about your repair as it wraps up, and will be interesting to see how this unfolds for the greater G community.
Well i've just got back from dealership with loaner car ,

I spoke with mechanic next to my car with engine out on the ground . The intially problem was just a gasket on fron of engine that did'nt need the engine taken out . this Gasket is like a cardboard gasket that he said was damaged and was leaking which made for the pressure drop and the chain tensioner malfunction .

With front section off ,there is an opening where he can see inside heads and that is when he discovered a small accumulation of dried anti freeze ( coolant), which turns out to be a small leak on 1of the Head Gasket, they will change both now since the engine is out .
The Head Gasket does'nt seem to be damaged , mechanic seems to thing it could have been just a tightening issue with one of the Head bolts from the manufacture, causing the slight leak ??

Old 07-12-2013, 08:36 PM
OK, yeah I figured there had to be more to it. I hope they get it all fixed up for you.

I noticed that a couple times you've said you had no oil pressure. Hopefully you're just referring to a localized situation of reduced pressure levels and not a general loss of oil pressure throughout the engine (i.e. to the main/rod/cam bearings, pistons/rings, valve train, etc.) which could then cause major issues to the longevity of the engine (including overheating, head warping, head gasket failures, not to mention spun bearings or damaged piston rings/lands, etc) .

Old 07-12-2013, 09:40 PM
K.C
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What other problems are you having beside what you have found out ? Does the car idle any different during start up any other symptoms that you may be experiencing ?

Old 07-13-2013, 12:39 AM
OK, yeah I figured there had to be more to it. I hope they get it all fixed up for you.

I noticed that a couple times you've said you had no oil pressure. Hopefully you're just referring to a localized situation of reduced pressure levels and not a general loss of oil pressure throughout the engine (i.e. to the main/rod/cam bearings, pistons/rings, valve train, etc.) which could then cause major issues to the longevity of the engine (including overheating, head warping, head gasket failures, not to mention spun bearings or damaged piston rings/lands, etc) .
No the oil pressure drop was from the front Gasket failure ,everything else seems fine.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by K.C
What other problems are you having beside what you have found out ? Does the car idle any different during start up any other symptoms that you may be experiencing ?
The only initial problem i had was the famous "Engine Ticking Sound " that so many seem to have but have not found the source ! ( until now maybe)

The infiniti where i go knew right away from the sound what the probable cause was (gasket failure) and verified this with the Oil pressure test !

...Only after having the front part of engine off and with a small opening into the heads they discovered that there was or is a very slight leak of coolant because of the dried coolant deposit they found , and decided to resolve that problem while at it!!

Old 07-13-2013, 12:38 PM
K.C
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the info ! I hope that it all works out and everything gets fixed right.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the fault code on your SES light?
It's the (Intake Timing Control) come on and the dealer replaced the sensor in Bank 2.
It keeps coming back every so often and I'm almost certain it's a similar issue as the OP posted as the drop in oil pressure keeps triggering the SES light and the sensor was replaced.

Thoughts?

Old 07-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Canadian35x
It's the (Intake Timing Control) come on and the dealer replaced the sensor in Bank 2.
It keeps coming back every so often and I'm almost certain it's a similar issue as the OP posted as the drop in oil pressure keeps triggering the SES light and the sensor was replaced.

Thoughts?
I think there's no way to tell anything for certain unless you verify you are getting the same trouble code; THAT is why asked what code (number!!) you were getting. There are literally hundreds of codes that you could be getting. Although you may indeed be correct that it is the same, without verifying it, you are really just guessing at it, and it COULD still just be coincidental.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:02 AM
"Ticking Resolved"

Got my car back from Infiniti yesterday and the Diagnostic they made about the Gasket leak causing low oil pressure was right,..thus making the Tensioner malfunction.

This is not a picture of my engine , but it is the small long Gasket just below the square opening , the one with all the bolts that was changed .

2nd Gen GASKET PROBLEMS ??-dsc_0013-7.jpg

Old 07-16-2013, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by randyc
Got my car back from Infiniti yesterday and the Diagnostic they made about the Gasket leak causing low oil pressure was right,..thus making the Tensioner malfunction.

This is not a picture of my engine , but it is the small long Gasket just below the square opening , the one with all the bolts that was changed .

Attachment 160253
That's a great pic.

Did they also change one or both of your head gaskets?

Old 07-16-2013, 07:38 PM
That's a great pic.

Did they also change one or both of your head gaskets?
They changed both .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen GASKET PROBLEMS ??