G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

2nd Gen GASKET PROBLEMS ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 12:15 AM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by randyc
They changed both .
See, that bugs me. I think that is VERY unusual and it's a pretty big deal. Did your car ever overheat at any point that you can remember? I noticed that you first posted about the ticking noise (sounding kinda like a diesel) almost a full year ago. Has your car really been driving around with low oil pressure for a year? Is the fact that both head gaskets went possibly related? If it were my car, I'd want to have a compression test and a leakdown test done to assess the condition of the engine. Did they happen to mention whether they checked the heads for any warpage? I'm not just trying to be alarmist here, it's just that if there's other issues which haven't fully surfaced yet, you're better off flushing them out BEFORE your warranty runs out.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good Point !,...But Like i said, only one head gasket had an indication of a Very small coolant leak , the gasket had NO visible damage,and mechanic who said he has seen this leak before on other engines like mine, but just at another area of the head, he also mentioned he thinks it could be a Head Bolt torque issue from the manufacture ?

My engine has never run Hot

Even after they did the oil pressure test , thet still let me go home with the car to come back the next morning for the repair ?
What excactly is the Leakdown test ?

Old 07-17-2013, 01:28 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by randyc
Good Point !,...But Like i said, only one head gasket had an indication of a Very small coolant leak , the gasket had NO visible damage,and mechanic who said he has seen this leak before on other engines like mine, but just at another area of the head, he also mentioned he thinks it could be a Head Bolt torque issue from the manufacture ?

My engine has never run Hot

Even after they did the oil pressure test , thet still let me go home with the car to come back the next morning for the repair ?
What excactly is the Leakdown test ?
Hmmm, if there was only an indication for the one HG, it sounds like they may have been milking the warranty coverage a bit to go ahead and change the other one. It's not unheard of for dealerships to sometimes drum up some extra, guaranteed payment work, by milking a factory warranty. The customer always feels glad the cost of the work is covered, as well as that their car is getting EVERY little thing fixed. It's (apparently) a win-win situation for both the dealership and the customer, with the factory footing the bill; trouble is, as in any insurance abuse, it is the consumer who ultimately pays in the long run.

A cylinder leakdown test measures how well each cylinder holds a compressed charge of injected air. It basically tests how well the piston rings and valves are sealing for each cylinder. It is a better indicator for how 'tight' the engine is than just a simple compression test.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn, that's crazy. I'm glad they covered it for you though. No problems here yet, fingers crossed, and im about 72k miles.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by vqsmile
Hmmm, if there was only an indication for the one HG, it sounds like they may have been milking the warranty coverage a bit to go ahead and change the other one. It's not unheard of for dealerships to sometimes drum up some extra, guaranteed payment work, by milking a factory warranty. The customer always feels glad the cost of the work is covered, as well as that their car is getting EVERY little thing fixed. It's (apparently) a win-win situation for both the dealership and the customer, with the factory footing the bill; trouble is, as in any insurance abuse, it is the consumer who ultimately pays in the long run.

A cylinder leakdown test measures how well each cylinder holds a compressed charge of injected air. It basically tests how well the piston rings and valves are sealing for each cylinder. It is a better indicator for how 'tight' the engine is than just a simple compression test.
In this case, i dont really think they are milking the factory, since the engine allready out, the mechanic told me they always change both if one is defective !

!!For the little amount of work it takes to replace a secong Head Gasket,...I think it is also in the factory's best interest also,... imagine if the other gasket failed a month or two later under warrenty,... then it would cost the Factory much more than having replaced both to begin with !!
So in this case i think it is the logical thing to do.

While at the dealership to pick up my car there was a G37 coupe with it;s engine out, also for the Head Gaskets !!

Mechanic told me from 2010 models and up,. there are hardly any HeadGasket problems ??