G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

AWD vs RWD 07-08 G35 Sedan..Need Feedback/Experiences from owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AWD vs RWD 07-08 G35 Sedan..Need Feedback/Experiences from owners

My search today has lead me to 4 AWD versions of the 35 Sedan with nice mileages in my opinion and in my used car price range.

As I am new to infiniti, I have spent weeks reading on here and asking questions, but never this one as I have no NEED for AWD but if thats the version that can be had for the price I suppose so.

I was told that I should stay away from AWD as they will get worse gas mileage and also there is a chance of more things that can potentially break on the car.

I'd like some information from owners, people who have these cars and their inputs and feedback. Are there any common issues with AWD versions and should I indeed stay away from this model? I'm by no means trying to make a purchase and then have tranny/drivetrain issues because I decided to go with an AWD version over the standard RWD.

Any information and guidance you can give me to help me make a wiser choice would be appreciated!!

Old 09-13-2013, 02:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I drive an 08 X model and for me being in NY its great during the snow months. My average mpg is between 16 and 18mpg with mixed city/highway driving. If you wanna lower your car the AWD can't go as low as the RWD can cuz if the AWD differential in the front. All in all its a great car and looks great with my 2in drop.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Peepz
I drive an 08 X model and for me being in NY its great during the snow months. My average mpg is between 16 and 18mpg with mixed city/highway driving. If you wanna lower your car the AWD can't go as low as the RWD can cuz if the AWD differential in the front. All in all its a great car and looks great with my 2in drop.
Yea, no snow in sunny florida so, I dont ever truly need to purposes of AWD... How long have you had you G? any drivetrain issues?

Old 09-13-2013, 06:15 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
I'd join those saying that you should not get AWD unless you have a need for it. You mentioned a few of the basic reasons why you shouldn't (gas mileage and more moving parts to go wrong), but there's also:

1) the increased maintenance costs when it comes time to service the car
2) the need (recommendation) to keep you wheel tire combo exactly the same between front and rear
3) eliminates the possibility of having/getting all the Sport model features (short of expensive conversions)
4) they usually cost more

IMHO, it's a no-brainer.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Do you have a reason why you are looking at AWD G?

I don't think the AWD system in the G is performance oriented in the dry. Its more like an aid in case of bad weather for better traction.

If you want performance AWD system, better stick to Evo or STi

Old 09-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Honestly, I drive an AWD and the only reason I got one was because I live in Chicago. If it wasnt for the snow, I would have gotten a RWD for sure. Iv been modding my car ever since I got it and I have ran into so many complications due to the AWD system. I recommend going with the RWD.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:17 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I like the awd. It does help in handling the curves in the road.My mpg is 21 around town driving.How many miles is on the car you are looking at? If the car hasnt been maintained it doesnt matter rwd or awd you will possibly will have high maintenance costs!

Old 09-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got my 08 awd with 70k miles. Yes it is slightly more expensive, but it is a " luxury" brand so you would expect it to be more costly. Coming from a Benz I think the cost won't be as bad. I get 22.3 mpg in the DC/Baltimore traffic so take that with a grain of salt.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
AWD does come in handy in the rain. Merging onto a highway is much easier. Granted a good set of tires that grip in the rain can do the same, but having the two front wheels have power does come in handy once in a while.

If i lived where it never snowed, I would get a RWD G35. Good tires and you'll be fine.

However, i live where it snows, and the AWD is amazing in the white stuff. Maintainece isn't that much more. An extra differential and transfer case to change fluids in. Put some good fluids in and more than likely you'll do this once before trading the car in. Front wheel bearings are a bit harder to replace than a RWD car.

I have a 126K on my G35x and it's been pretty problem free. Gas mileage BLOWS though. I never modified mine, so suspsnsion height and tire sizing never came into play for me.

I'm surprised that you are finding so many AWD models in Florida. I'd think they be more common up north.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:52 PM
As was I shocked also. Its one used car dealer in my area that happened to have 2-3 AWD with great miles on them, so since my budget is low, and I cant be picky, I wanted to get some information about the AWD system. I think Im just going to skip these and stick with looking for a RWD

Old 09-16-2013, 03:06 PM
The awd helps in on road performance wet or dry! Also helps in resale value.If the cars have low milage and a good price I wouldnt pass on them. I wish you luck in your search. Awd or rwd the Infiniti is a very nice car to own.I love my G35X! I owned a Audi a6 quattro before the G.I took my Infiniti for a test drive that was all I needed bought it.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:51 PM
bought my 08 g35x with 80k miles a year ago for 16k. problem free, do my own maintenance, and gas mile is what I expected. 24-25 highway and 21 50/50 city/highway. I wouldn't hesitate on an X.

Posted from G35driver.com App for Android

Old 09-16-2013, 05:16 PM
I would take them for a test drive. With awd you get the same performance as rwd but the added performance of awd! When you drive awd you can feel how it huggs the road and corners!

Old 09-16-2013, 06:07 PM
I'll look into it. They are priced interestingly which gets my attention. I'll consider it if one happens to come around. I'm still looking. I feel in love with an 09 37 with 34k miles at the dealer this weekend. I went to sit in a G sedan 07-09 to just see how it feels as I'd never sat in the sedan, and then they showed me the exact color combination I dream of... haha.... It was 19,999 which is more than I can do ( Credit Issues )

Old 09-16-2013, 07:04 PM
I know what you are saying.Thats why I bought a 05. It still cost 12,500 with 84,660 miles on it. It came with all the service records since new! Thats one of the most important things to look for no matter how many miles is on it! If it was not maintained you might run into lots of problems. Just keep your search up. If its awd and has all the records of maintenance and its in your budget I wouldnt pass on it.You will find the car of your dreams!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AWD vs RWD 07-08 G35 Sedan..Need Feedback/Experiences from owners