G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

First winter on my G35x... Infiniti stealership recommended setup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First winter on my G35x... Infiniti stealership recommended setup

Girlfriend bought this car ~ 2 months ago and with winter coming up I messaged my dealership and they recommended the below setup:

Tire Pressure Monitoring System = 80.49 x 4= $321.96
Rims (17" FIVE SPLIT SPOKE SILVER) = 159.95 x 4= $639.80
Tire: Toyo OBSERVE GARIT KX BW 215/55R17 94 = 208.99 x 4 = 835.96
($80 rebate on tire)

All of the above X 15% tax = 2067.38
Less then $80 rebate = 1987.38

Few notes -
1. Mainly, what do you think?
2. Being that my car is ~6 years old, should I bypass the rims and just put the winters on my current tires?
3. I live in Canada and drive primarily through slush/ice.. this does include highway driving for lengthy monthly rides (8 hours round-trip)
4. I am a DIY guy, but I also like my things working right > in this case the TPMS light.

Thanks for all the insight!

Old 09-25-2013, 03:02 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I would look into something like this and then add a decent set of winter tires. https://g35driver.com/forums/17-inch...ires-tpms.html

And if you didn't want to keep the tires that came on the wheels you could sell those to make this an even better deal. You might also want to check your local Craigslist for a good deal on an OEM set of 17s that might actually come with snow tires. $2000 is waaaay to much to be charged for a winter set up.

The following users liked this post:
DeBaie (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 03:10 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by DeBaie
Girlfriend bought this car ~ 2 months ago and with winter coming up I messaged my dealership and they recommended the below setup:

Tire Pressure Monitoring System = 80.49 x 4= $321.96
Rims (17" FIVE SPLIT SPOKE SILVER) = 159.95 x 4= $639.80
Tire: Toyo OBSERVE GARIT KX BW 215/55R17 94 = 208.99 x 4 = 835.96
($80 rebate on tire)

All of the above X 15% tax = 2067.38
Less then $80 rebate = 1987.38

Few notes -
1. Mainly, what do you think?
2. Being that my car is ~6 years old, should I bypass the rims and just put the winters on my current tires?
3. I live in Canada and drive primarily through slush/ice.. this does include highway driving for lengthy monthly rides (8 hours round-trip)
4. I am a DIY guy, but I also like my things working right > in this case the TPMS light.

Thanks for all the insight!
You're considering buying your wheels and tires from a dealership . . . Hmm . . . Let me ask you a question first: would you buy your donuts from a policeman?

Sure, the cop is definitely familiar with his donuts; it's quite possible he handles them on a daily basis, so he's familiar with all aspects of working in and around them. He's perfectly reputable as well; can't fault his credentials! And, he's undoubtedly got his favorite source for them, and would gladly cut you in on it too...for a price!

Sound good to you? Of course not. If you want donuts, you go to a donut shop (or make some of your own!). It's very unlikely that any dealership would be little more than a middleman in the transaction, and their parts markup and labor rates are far higher than even the best tire shop. I don't know what access you have in Canada, but down here, if you're looking at turn-key solutions, Tire Rack sells winter wheel/tire combo's (even with TPMS included), already mounted and balanced and shipped right to your door. You'd still need to get the tpms programming done, but that's no biggie. There's always the route of sourcing used wheels (oem or not) and having them shod with an extra tpms set and some tires. A look into the classifieds might even turn up a perfectly good used complete winter setup that someone is selling off (this happens often when people sell or trade their car and then no longer need them).

Basically, it comes down to what you're willing to spend and how much effort/convenience you want in the whole process. IMHO. buying wheels and tires at a dealership is usually for those with some combination of: plenty of money, no time, uninformed, or just can't be bothered.

DeBaie (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i'll sell you my 17" wheels and tires for $1500....

you'd be better off like others have said to buy wheels anywhere else but the dealership. might also think about mustang wheels. they are the same size, offset, and backspacing to fit these cars. would then just need the appropriate TPMS sensors.

DeBaie (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 04:19 PM
To be honest.. I browsed tire sites and the tire prices alone don't seem to be too far off?
Is the TPMS mainly where they're biting me in the ***? haha
The fact my rims are ~6 years old, could I bypass the rims and just ride the ones I currently have all year long?

To confirm, do you guys also bypass dealership maintenance schedule as well?
Just want to understand the annual approach you guys took.

I don't have much time available, live in a condo (in reference to storage), and not worried about saving ~10%... I rather just pay the dealer and know everything to do with the car is under that one account.

Last edited by DeBaie; 09-25-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:06 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
The TPMS light is no big deal.. when I run my summer set up, the light is on all summer,, then in fall ( just a few weeks away) I'll throw on my stock 17's and within 1 block my light is off....

DeBaie (09-26-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 06:38 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
In the long run, it will save you time and a little money to have a separate set of rims for winter--that is assuming you keep the car another 4-5 years though. At least for me, mounting and balancing a set of wheels twice a year would not be insignificant. I save time by installing the sets myself--takes me about 20 minutes.

I have 4 sets of rims and only the stock set has TPMS. I don't mind the TPMS light and visually inspect my tires all the time so don't really put much stock in it. Even with it installed in the new set, you will still have to have the car sync with it--but I think someone figured out a DIY procedure for that rather than going to the dealership to have it done. But your right, other than the TPMS, the other costs are reasonable.

DeBaie (09-26-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 07:18 PM
To be honest.. I browsed tire sites and the tire prices alone don't seem to be too far off?
1) Which sites did you visit? I punched into the TR site and they had a winter wheel/tire combo w/ tpms included, all mounted, Road-Force balanced, and shipped to me for $1200 total. Granted, it may not exactly have been your spec'd components, but perfectly adequate for winters no doubt.

Is the TPMS mainly where they're biting me in the ***? haha
2) The TR site listed them at $200 for the set (installed free if you got the combo too). My guess is they're even cheaper if you shop them. AS far as the wheels and tires, I can't imagine the dealer is anywhere near as competitive, unless they bought a whole boat load of one particular setup that they are able to compete with (push). Honestly though, a used set of oem wheels is a great bargain. You can't buy a new wheel of equal quality for anywhere near the price they're available at.

The fact my rims are ~6 years old, could I bypass the rims and just ride the ones I currently have all year long?
3) Sure, you could, but you'd still have to hassle with swapping tires twice a year, plus storing the off-season ones (btw, think about that too: tires take up as much room as
tires on wheels, so no getting around storage issues).

To confirm, do you guys also bypass dealership maintenance schedule as well?
Just want to understand the annual approach you guys took.
4) I do all my own maintenance work to my own custom schedule (somewhere between the Premium and Schedule1), and only take my car to the dealership for warranty work. IMHO, your average dealership is not the pinnacle of maintenance excellence that many seem to assume.

I don't have much time available, live in a condo (in reference to storage), and not worried about saving ~10%... I rather just pay the dealer and know everything to do with the car is under that one account.
4) As I said before, if you have the money, but not the time or inclination to hassle with it, then who's to say it's the wrong move for you. I will mention that I think the cost difference is substantially more than 10%, you are STILL going to faced with storage issue regardless, and having a dealer handle your wheel/tire needs for the sake of simplicity may be a bit of a false promise.
See my .02 within.

DeBaie (09-26-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 08:04 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Tpms sensors can be found cheaper.

Ebay has a set of OEM sensors for about $100 for 4.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-Infin...1adcc9&vxp=mtr

(Above link may not be correct part number for your car....posted as example)

There is a manual reprogram sequence that has been discussed here on the forums. No dealership trip needed. If you search, you can find this method. I performed it myself with success. I plan on purchasing a set of $100 ebay Nissan sensors soon and will have a shop install them (with new tires) and do the programming myself. I feel as if it will work fine. Tpms sensors tend to last around 6 years before the internal batteries die. My 06 has one sensor that gives a low battery code during cold weather. This is why I want to replace all 4

As for what brand tires to get depends on what driving conditions you will encounter. Being in Canada, do you have a need for a dedicated set of winter wheels with studded snow tires? Or can you get by with all seasons.

The local classifieds near me tend to have take-off wheels for $500-800 with tires. Sometimes they have tpms sensors as well.

What's the reason for buying a new set of wheels vs swapping tires? Where I live, if you buy snow tires from a location, they offer free tire changeover in the fall and spring for several years.

If you are more comfortable paying the dealer then go for it. I'm almost at the point where sometimes I don't mind paying a little extra for the sake of not having to deal/worry about something.

My opinion however is that you can do a little better than that particular tire. Not very good reviews on it.

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 09-25-2013 at 08:09 PM.
DeBaie (09-26-2013)
Old 09-26-2013, 07:29 AM
Building a package on Tirerack.com has brought me to over the price that I have calculated above.

re. the tires, these are specifically aimed at ice/slush as that is what I primarily drive in.

------

17x7.5 MSW Type 23 Light Grey Painted 4x$99.00= $396.00
Important Notes:
New TPMS sensors must be initialized at the dealer. This charge is not included in the cost of the sensors. If TPMS sensors are not installed in the wheels, the TPMS light will flash for 1 to 2 minutes and then stay permanently illuminated. An audible chime may also be heard at start-up.

315MHz Tire Pressure Sensor 4x$55.00=$220.00
225/55R17 XL Michelin X-Ice Xi3 Blackwall 4x$163.00=$652.00
Hunter Road Force™ Mounting and Balancing = free
Shipping Sub-Total: $442.61
Excise Tax: $0.00
HST: $206.91
PST: $0.00
Duty: $69.40
Provincial Tire Fee: $12.00
Brokerage Fee: $30.00
Order Total (USD): $2,028.92

ugh.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:52 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
too expensive for my taste

DeBaie (09-26-2013)
Old 09-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I live in Toronto and travel to Montreal all the time. Needless to say we get lots of snow each year. I bought solid all season rubber for my X last year. Used the stock 17 inchers. I drove to Montreal for the holidays and got 70cm's of snow in 6 hours. I had to cross the island and had no issues with slipping or sliding while on snow mode. I think winters are overkill on the X. Sure it would help, but I don't think you really need them. Save your coin for something else.

That way you save on the sensors and only have to worry about the rubber.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I live in MA and drive in the snow. Our winters aren't as harsh as CA winters, but i've been out in 12" of snow with my X on good all-seasons and have done quite fine.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:09 PM
Building a package on Tirerack.com has brought me to over the price that I have calculated above.

re. the tires, these are specifically aimed at ice/slush as that is what I primarily drive in.

------

17x7.5 MSW Type 23 Light Grey Painted 4x$99.00= $396.00
Important Notes:
New TPMS sensors must be initialized at the dealer. This charge is not included in the cost of the sensors. If TPMS sensors are not installed in the wheels, the TPMS light will flash for 1 to 2 minutes and then stay permanently illuminated. An audible chime may also be heard at start-up.

315MHz Tire Pressure Sensor 4x$55.00=$220.00
225/55R17 XL Michelin X-Ice Xi3 Blackwall 4x$163.00=$652.00
Hunter Road Force™ Mounting and Balancing = free
Shipping Sub-Total: $442.61
Excise Tax: $0.00
HST: $206.91
PST: $0.00
Duty: $69.40
Provincial Tire Fee: $12.00
Brokerage Fee: $30.00
Order Total (USD): $2,028.92

ugh.
Holy crap, do you guys up north raped on pricing or what?
I priced that exact same package; wheels**, tires, sensors, all mounted and balanced and delivered to the SF Bay area and the grand total came out to $1150 after a $50 mail in rebate!

( ** Note, I actually priced it with a more expensive MSM Type 22 wheel that ran $36 more for the set, since they wouldn't quote me a final price on the Type 23 because they are short of stock. Anyway, so I just priced the more expensive wheels, then deducted the extra $36 cost from the final delivered price. If you take tax into account, they'd actually be even lower than $1150 delivered here.)

$2,028.92 - $1,1,50 = $878.92 EXTRA!!!

Uhmmm . . .Go Conucks ?!!

Old 09-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check Discount Tire-should be able to get a cheap set without TPMS for around $1200

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First winter on my G35x... Infiniti stealership recommended setup