G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G35x GPS Navigation System Is Possessed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question G35x GPS Navigation System Is Possessed

I have problems with the GPS navigation system on my 2008 G35x. When I have set a destination, one of two things almost always happen:
- the map starts rotating slowly counterclockwise. The route remains highlighted appropriately for the direction I'm actually driving, but it's annoying, especially when it has rotated enough that my route is shown as going off the bottom of the screen.
- the GPS loses track of where I am, and thinks I am in an adjacent development or street. It then reroutes from where it thinks it is, to the end destination. This happens over and over again.

One or the other problem happens 75-80% of the time when I set a destination. It's been a problem for a few years. I did have the maps updated maybe four years ago. The issue did not begin immediately after that update.

I've shown this to my local dealer (having taken videos of the screen when it occurs), but they're stumped. They've run the GPS diagnostic and reset the unit. That doesn't help at all; the problem is there again immediately.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-29-2013, 05:35 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds like a bad antenna; might want to try replacing just that.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:08 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a similar problem where my navi showed I was driving in the Pacific ocean..

I forgot where, but within the navigation settings, there is a setting that shows you the available satelites. Is it showing this? Mine didn't show.

The dealer finally fixed it on my 2nd visit by replacing the whole unit... Replacing the antenna the first time didnt' fix it for me....

Old 11-04-2013, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the ideas

Thanks for the advice, folks.

A bit more information - in trying to test the signal, I took a long ride, setting a destination and switching back and forth between the map screen and satellite screen. I consistently had seven or eight satellites registering. The most I ever had drop out were three, and that was only for a second or two. I suspect that's normal. But while I was on this drive, I had the usual problems, with the route map rotating counterclockwise, and the GPS thinking I was in a development well off the road from where I was driving.

I'll see about replacing the antenna, and hope that fixes it. If not, I may have to find a replacement unit. What was your experience as to what it cost to replace the antenna and / or the unit?

Old 11-04-2013, 06:44 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Both are readily available pretty inexpensively. Try eBay for both; somewhere about $40 for the antenna, and 300 - 400 for the unit. Easy diy to replace.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:32 PM
LOL...ok, I'm not the only one with this issue! My screen would just spin as if I was doing donuts in my car!!

I initially unplugged my car battery to "reboot" everything. It worked for awhile but not for long. I then took my car to the dealer and got the same dumbfounded responses as no one had ever seen this before. They updated my software but the problem persisted. Finally, they recommended to replace the navigation screen/hardware.

Fortunately, for unexplained reasons, my navigation started working all of a sudden! Not sure if the updated software took awhile to take effect. Or maybe it was from playing with the map display settings; I would change back and forth from "Bird's eye view" (which is the 3D-type view) to the one directly overhead (2D view).

I can't honestly tell you what is was that fixed it but I am just relieved that it is, indeed, fixed!! Hope everything works out for you.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Thanks, Dark Stocker, for the advice. I'm hoping a miracle will happen for me as it did for you. I had to replace my battery some time ago - the reboot didn't help at all. I've reset the navigation defaults time after time, and tried various options - split screen, bird's eye view, etc - and the problem persists. In fact, it now appears to be rotating even more frequently. I'm debating replacing the unit, but I'll wait a while longer and hope for that miracle. Thanks again.