G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

2007 G35 Sedan Headliner... Issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 10:54 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2007 G35 Sedan Headliner... Issue?

Hey all.

So my 2007 Journey recently developed a noise somewhere behind the drivers seat.

I would describe it as a creak, and at first I thought maybe my back window was loose, as it sounds like something heavy moving around in a spot that it would normally sit tight in.

I had my friend drive me around with me in the back seat, and boy was it hard to isolate the noise. Turn your head this way, it sounds like its coming from the back passenger window. Turn this way, the roof, turn this way, under the drivers seat.

Anywho, took about 20 minutes of driving and silence in the car to isolate (apparently) what sounds like the actual roof, or possibly headliner, creaking. I did this by pulling down on the oh-sh*t bar, which didn't help, and then moving my hand across the headliner about 4 inches out from that bar.

After doing that, and applying pressure to the headliner, the creak is gone, until I let go.

My question is, is this even fixable?

I read my manual about how to take the headliner off and uh, looks pretty difficult. Even if I did get it off, do you think throwing some Dynamat in the area would deaden the creak?

Anyone have any experience removing the headliner or a DIY on the 07-08 sedans?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Old 02-14-2014, 10:32 PM
Received 96 Likes on 63 Posts
Sounds like maybe the sunroof rail could possibly be loose.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you could possibly put a wedge of material or plastic under the hand grips to push them a little higher up (tighter) to the roof. that may help eliminate the noise They are not bolted on, just clips that slide out from each end.

The headliner requires a lot of parts to remove! I only released down the rear half to access the shark fin and I had to remove the rear seat, quarter trim, door seal, oh **** handles, sill plates and center pillar panels (near seatbelt). It will hang down all the way to the sunroof to see if there is something loose with the sunroof mechanisms . Be careful not to bend it as it can leave a crease.

Before I reassembled I did stick some sound deadening material to the rear roof area and behind and under the rear seat and deck lid.....on the bare metal areas, not on the headliner itself.

Keep us posted what you find

Old 03-25-2014, 12:04 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by G35DriverNC
If you could possibly put a wedge of material or plastic under the hand grips to push them a little higher up (tighter) to the roof. that may help eliminate the noise They are not bolted on, just clips that slide out from each end.

The headliner requires a lot of parts to remove! I only released down the rear half to access the shark fin and I had to remove the rear seat, quarter trim, door seal, oh **** handles, sill plates and center pillar panels (near seatbelt). It will hang down all the way to the sunroof to see if there is something loose with the sunroof mechanisms . Be careful not to bend it as it can leave a crease.

Before I reassembled I did stick some sound deadening material to the rear roof area and behind and under the rear seat and deck lid.....on the bare metal areas, not on the headliner itself.

Keep us posted what you find
So I haven't attempted this yet, but based off my research and reading other owner stories it definitely sounds like the sunroof rails might be loose.

I notice when I open the sunroof all the way the noise is gone. Obviously it would be harder to hear anyways when its open but I feel like the weight on the rails keeps it from rattling.

I am not opposed to working on my G but it sounds like taking the headliner down is a lot of work.

Does anyone know if there is a TSB# for this issue? If so, I would like to run it by my local dealership to see how much they would charge to repair this.

Please let me know if such a TSB# exists.

Thanks!

_Michael