G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

purchased an 08 g35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
purchased an 08 g35

I'm new to the forum. Just recently I purchased an 08 g35 from a local franchise dealership not infiniti tho. In the time of my purchase I was looking at Honda civics, camrys, and accord's. Started looking into the G's and read good things about them Edmunds, cars.com. and JD ratings. Now I have a 2008 infiniti g35 with 58000 miles on it, out the door for 17k. Comes with nav, backup cam, paddle shifters and lots of good features. Makes my 2011 charger feel old for it's year. The car is a blast to drive. Also browsing through the forum I've read that their is an oil issue with the 08's? I'm hoping I made the right choice with the G I heard they were reliable and so on.I haven't purchase extended warranty yet. But will do from either my credit union, triple a, or will try an go to a infiniti dealer to see if I can get their extended warranty. Is there any restrictions at infiniti dealerships if the car wasn't bought there?

Last edited by sel415; 01-11-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:14 PM
Received 575 Likes on 502 Posts
The warranty you want is elite through infiniti. There is no oil problem w/ the 2nd gen. You have a good car. At 60k miles you might want to change out the diff fluid. You have a great car and you should worry to much about them. I have 70k now and I got mine in 2008 brand new. Do you have any plans for the G?

Old 12-07-2014, 09:04 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by sel415

Also browsing through the forum I've read that their is an oil issue with the 08's? ...

will try an go to a infiniti dealer to see if I can get their extended warranty. Is there any restrictions at infiniti dealerships if the car wasn't bought there?
Perhaps you are referring to the oil pressure issue that some 2nd gen G35 cars cars have experienced. Infiniti used an inferior paper gasket to seal a critical, high-pressure oil passage used to control the cars variable valve timing. The gaskets can blow out, causing a drop in oil pressure and eventually failures in the VVT functioning. As there is no external leakage caused by the gasket failure, and until engine fault codes appear for VVT issues, only an oil pressure test can determine if the car has any gasket issues. For this reason, if you want to be proactive you can do/have a simple oil pressure test done to determine if all is well in the oil department. Here are a few threads here covering the issue:

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ous-about.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy...-pressure.html

AS for the extended warranty, you'll do well to consider the Infiniti Elite warranty. You do not have to be the original owner, or have bought the car there; any dealership can sell you a warranty, The only question is how much they will charge you for it.

If you are seriously considering an extended warranty, then you should look up the numerous threads here about the best places to buy them. Unless you are in a one of the few unfortunate states, you can purchase the warranty from one of the dealerships that sell them at a steep discount online (i.e. Scottsdale, Circle, et al.).

Congrats on the new ride. Enjoy!

Last edited by vqsmile; 12-07-2014 at 09:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Urbanengineer (01-25-2015)
Old 12-07-2014, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by bluedevils95

There is no oil problem w/ the 2nd gen.
OOOOKAY . . . .

The following users liked this post:
Urbanengineer (01-25-2015)
Old 12-07-2014, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Perhaps you are referring to the oil pressure issue that some 2nd gen G35 cars cars have experienced. Infiniti used an inferior paper gasket to seal a critical, high-pressure oil passage used to control the cars variable valve timing. The gaskets can blow out, causing a drop in oil pressure and eventually failures in the VVT functioning. As there is no external leakage caused by the gasket failure, and until engine fault codes appear for VVT issues, only an oil pressure test can determine if the car has any gasket issues. For this reason, if you want to be proactive you can do/have a simple oil pressure test done to determine if all is well in the oil department. Here are a few threads here covering the issue:

AS for the extended warranty, you'll do well to consider the Infiniti Elite warranty. You do not have to be the original owner, or have bought the car there; any dealership can sell you a warranty, The only question is how much they will charge you for it.

If you are seriously considering an extended warranty, then you should look up the numerous threads here about the best places to buy them. Unless you are in a one of the few unfortunate states, you can purchase the warranty from one of the dealerships that sell them at a steep discount online (i.e. Scottsdale, Circle, et al.).

Congrats on the new ride. Enjoy!
Yeah thats what I looked up. I think I'm just going to go to the dealer or a local mechanic for them to check it out. But man the ride is nice only thing I'm noticing is the false advertising of 17/24 mpg. Lol. Have you guys received quotes from warranty ninja?

Old 12-08-2014, 12:01 AM

I'm noticing is the false advertising of 17/24 mpg. Lol.

Have you guys received quotes from warranty ninja?
Well, it is totally doable, you just have to learn to keep your foot out of it. The trouble is there is no fun in that with an engine that loves to rev as much as the VQ does.

Never heard of this warranty ninja. I'd recommend you do your homework on what is actually covered on an aftermarket warranty vs. the Elite, as the Elite truly sets the standard and is fairly cost competitive when purchased at the online prices (or haggled with your local dealership against the online prices).

Old 12-08-2014, 08:22 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile

Out of all the G's sold I wonder how many have actually had this issue?

Old 12-08-2014, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by equifire
Out of all the G's sold I wonder how many have actually had this issue?
It's hard to say accurately because the story is still being written as we post here. Particularly, as the cars age, and the gaskets wear further, I suspect more and more to show up. Add to that the hidden nature of the failure prior to overt symptoms appearing, and you have the potential for even more cars to be out there being driven around with their owners unaware of what's occurring.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:22 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
But have there been very many reported on the forum? I have bothered to check.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I bought my 05X last yr from a nissan dealer. They gave me a extended warranty to 126,000 miles. It had 85,650 when I bought it. The warranty is good at Infinti too! Has a $100 deductible. Ive had the lwr control arms and compression arms done. Just had camshaft sensors done last week. I would have bought the warranty anyway. I always get warranties on used cars! My X was and is well maintained. I got all the service records since new with it. I would get your warranty before 30 days pass. If you bought from a new car dealership you will have no problem getting o e.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by equifire
But have there been very many reported on the forum? I have bothered to check.
If you google the error code numbers that typically occur and/or "oil gallery gasket" and/or "rear timing cover", you'll find many mentions here and on MyG37, as well as on the Z and Nicoclub forums. They are definitely out there.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:32 PM
Can any mechanic find this issue If I bring them my g.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:54 PM
Can any mechanic find this issue If I bring them my g.
Yes, any decent mechanic should be able to measure your oil pressure, which is basically the only way to detect the failure before the symptoms become overt and are evidenced by check-engine error codes and poor engine performance. You can also DIY.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:04 PM
I've been in the market for a used car, and was considering the 07-09 Camry SE v6, G35 sedan, and the Lexus IS. But after reading this thread, I'm starting to think I should cross the G35 off the list.

Is it crazy to buy this car used. I do some wrenching myself, but this seems like a huge job.

What do the warranties run per month or yr, and can you get them for a vehicle with a salvage title (which I'll probably avoid anyways)?

Thanks for the insight.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:00 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by pixeleddesigns
I've been in the market for a used car, and was considering the 07-09 Camry SE v6, G35 sedan, and the Lexus IS. But after reading this thread, I'm starting to think I should cross the G35 off the list. Is it crazy to buy this car used. I do some wrenching myself, but this seems like a huge job. What do the warranties run per month or yr, and can you get them for a vehicle with a salvage title (which I'll probably avoid anyways)? Thanks for the insight.
no Acura TL?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: purchased an 08 g35