G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Has anyone tracked their car??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone tracked their car??

I'm looking to track my 08 G35S Sedan, nothing hard core but a couple times a year. So far I'm going to get an oil cooler, pads, SS lines and brake fluid. Just wondering if anyone else has tracked theirs and what they have done...

Old 02-28-2015, 07:29 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
If manual, Make sure u don't have clutch pedal stick.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by JKL1031
If manual, Make sure u don't have clutch pedal stick.
never had that issue..

Old 02-28-2015, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,030 Likes on 947 Posts
It's when the fluid gets hot from rapid use. You shouldn't have that issue on your first day . Call the local track and make sure your car meets regulation.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:48 PM
I've already looked at the track, nothing special there are far as requirements. I hope I don't have the clutch problem...is there a remedy for that?

Old 03-01-2015, 10:59 AM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
spent a day at B.I R. (brainerd intl. raceway) when the car was fairly new, lapping on the long course,(3 mile) mines an X so don't have big brakes, they get hot, was super fun, had to leave the track to get more gas!, have also drag raced it, autocrossed it, and did an Ice driving event, ( on frozen lake) with an Audi club! It is a car that can do it all!

The following users liked this post:
Urbanengineer (03-01-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,030 Likes on 947 Posts
Originally Posted by Triton3.5
spent a day at B.I R. (brainerd intl. raceway) when the car was fairly new, lapping on the long course,(3 mile) mines an X so don't have big brakes, they get hot, was super fun, had to leave the track to get more gas!, have also drag raced it, autocrossed it, and did an Ice driving event, ( on frozen lake) with an Audi club! It is a car that can do it all!
More on the ice event!

Old 03-01-2015, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by Triton3.5
I've autocrossed mine a few times and frequently go on spirated drives. Did you experience any overheating issues as far as coolant goes when you tracked it?

Old 03-01-2015, 08:25 PM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
I tracked my g35 sedan quite a few times. I would say brake fluid and brake pads is the absolute must. I got a used brembo BBK off a 350z and had stainless steel lines. Still pretty easy to get brake fade, but it's tolerable. Oil cooler is nice. The nismo differential cooler is nice. '08 is getting kinda long in the teeth. If you haven't done it, new bushings, either oem or urethane would be good. New shocks too. Towards the end, my g35 bushings were all shot and it was pretty sad.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by totopo
I tracked my g35 sedan quite a few times. I would say brake fluid and brake pads is the absolute must. I got a used brembo BBK off a 350z and had stainless steel lines. Still pretty easy to get brake fade, but it's tolerable. Oil cooler is nice. The nismo differential cooler is nice. '08 is getting kinda long in the teeth. If you haven't done it, new bushings, either oem or urethane would be good. New shocks too. Towards the end, my g35 bushings were all shot and it was pretty sad.
Thanks for the reply. So no overheating issues or anything. For now I'm going to play it safe with brake stuff and an oil cooler. If I continue to track I will upgrade the suspension.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:02 PM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
I have tracked my stock G35s a few times a year. I have only experienced noticable brake fade when you have short straights and heavy braking in between. I have Hawks HPS pads all around and DOT 4 high temp brake fluid (ATE), they works well. On hot track days, the clutch fluid would overheat and won't bounce back all the way up. But it's still functional, a few pump and a little cool down will get that back to normal.

How much stress you put on your car also depends on your skill level, tires choices and how aggressive you drive. I run street tires and the car holds up well so far.

The only mod planned is sways bars. I am also considering oil cooler as well.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:37 PM
Considering I abuse the **** out of my cars I know I will not be kind on the track. If i'm going to a track day I want to be doing 100% for the entire session, no BS cool down laps and so on. After much research this weekend I decided I'm not going to track it mostly due to these damn cars running extremely hot on the track especially considering track day sin my area will be 90+ degrees.

This article really changed my mind of whether or not I was going to track it:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...-Radiator.aspx

Although the article is a 370z none the less it is close enough. Even after a 32 row oil cooler and a CSF triple pass radiator he was saying that oil temps were still a cause for concern and he had to run cool down laps to get the temps down. He also brings up that the diff is prone to overheat as well so that is something else he would have to address.

Now I may be being extra cautious, but I don't feel like spending $1500+ on cooling and not 100% fix the issue. If I could spend around that and have no cause for concern as cooling goes that would be a different story and I would probably track it. Oh well looks like I'll be driving on curvy roads a year or two more till I get my CTSV.

Let me know what you guys think.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:17 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by kal1fornia

Considering I abuse the **** out of my cars I know I will not be kind on the track. If i'm going to a track day I want to be doing 100% for the entire session, no BS cool down laps and so on. ...
FYI, regardless of how ill-suited the G may, or may not, be for the track, even pros with purpose built cars run cool down laps. Not sure what your aversion is to them.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:43 PM
If I can't do a 20 minute session without slowing down then no thanks. Obviously after awhile a cool down lap is needed but 20 minutes shouldn't be hard to accomplish

Old 03-03-2015, 02:57 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, the new C7 stingray can't do it either.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Has anyone tracked their car??