G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Scratched up/damaged paint from attempted theft maybe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 02:37 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Scratched up/damaged paint from attempted theft maybe?

Hey all.

So this morning when I go out to my car I noticed some heavy scratches on my roof where it meets the drivers side door.

Upon further inspection, it appears some ******* tried to slim-jim my drivers door as the damage up top is in line with my door lock/window control panel.

He (or she, I'm not sexist) was unsuccessful at gaining entry, but in attempting, they really mangled the paint. I can both see the damage and feel it. It is rough and gritty and discolored.

I did try and take a picture of it but honestly, the pics can't show it which is weird. Anyone that I asked to look at it both saw the damage and came up with their own assumption that it was a slim-jim.

My question would be, is there any method out there to fix it?

I purchased the Meguiars compound, polish, and wax kit in an attempt to do so but have never used the compound before.

Are there any other methods? The metal itself is not bent, rather, it is purely cosmetic.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

_Michael

Old 04-03-2015, 03:18 PM
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts
Tough to tell without pix. If you are applying compound by hand, it's pretty tough to hurt your paint further.

If you gently run your fingernail over the scratch, and the scratch catches your fingernail, compound may not work. Will make it less noticeable but you would need to have it sanded & painted.

Since you have the compound, give that a shot & let us know how it turns out. The metal finish of the tool they used could have transferred to your paint (think dress shoes on a basketball court)

Good luck & sorry that it happened.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:14 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ronnieballgame
Tough to tell without pix. If you are applying compound by hand, it's pretty tough to hurt your paint further.

If you gently run your fingernail over the scratch, and the scratch catches your fingernail, compound may not work. Will make it less noticeable but you would need to have it sanded & painted.

Since you have the compound, give that a shot & let us know how it turns out. The metal finish of the tool they used could have transferred to your paint (think dress shoes on a basketball court)

Good luck & sorry that it happened.
Hey Ronnie.

So I can see the value in this Meguiar's UC, and it did make it about 20% better, but it appears as if the scraping took off too much of the base coat for this to help.

The UC smoothed out the scratches and blended the paint a little bit which makes it less noticeable, but where the scratches took off the paint it turned kinda silver and is still visible.

I will be headed to a body shop this weekend to get a quote on some touch up on it.

Might just use the Ultimate Compound on some other spots on the car now!

_Michael