G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Car randomly shuts off when switching from park to drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Car randomly shuts off when switching from park to drive in the morning

Hey guys,

Its been a while since posting here but here we go. My car recently got the transmission rebuilt at 93k miles. I took it to Lee Myles who charge a lot but seem to do a good job (good yelp reviews) of rebuilding transmissions (they swapped out everything). Anyway, as soon as I went to get the car I noticed that it kept stalling every time I went from park to reverse or park to drive. I told them and they looked at it, said that there was ice into the air valve? and they removed it. They said it was fairly warm out when they worked on the car and then the temperature dropped well below freezing and that might have caused it, they weren't entirely sure how and why it happened and mentioned it would not happen again. After that I tested it locally around the shop and it was fine until the next day when I came to the car in the morning. The temperature was also well below freezing and again, same thing where rpms drop and car shuts off when going from park to drive or park to reverse. Only way I was able to get it not to stall was give it gas while in park and then switch to reverse right away. I took it back and they checked it out and could not reproduce (they claim they checked everything and all seems fine) and there is no check engine code or whatsoever. So in their defense, it only behaved like that once in front of them when I went to pick up the car the first time but not any other time I brought it in. This seems to be only happen when the car is cold especially after being left over night. The rpms almost surely drop significantly when switching from park when it does this. Car drives find otherwise and when the car is warm enough, never an issue.

After that it happened today and its around 45degrees but rainy where it did that. After a try or two, all seems fine and car switches. I am confused and not sure whats going on, my guess is that either something is loose or is not put back together properly. I am going to take it to my local mechanic and maybe try changing spark plugs and see if he notices anything. If the weather is good then I will try cleaning the throttle body, last time I cleaned it was around 50k miles. Any ideas? I would take it back to lee myles but at this point just seems like a waste since they cannot reproduce it and I end up wasting a lot of time. If I can figure out what it is then I can take it back to them and have them fix.

Sorry guys for the long post but I needed to explain it wholly and hoping someone has an idea. Thanks.

Last edited by Jiggs1219; 02-24-2016 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Jiggs1219
I took it to Lee Myles who charge a lot but seem to do a good job (good yelp reviews) of rebuilding transmissions (they swapped out everything). .
How did their price compare to an Infiniti dealer?

I am confused and not sure whats going on, my guess is that either something is loose or is not put back together properly.
Why not get a second opinion at a dealer?
If Lee Myles screwed up you can contact your credit card and request a charge back.

I am going to take it to my local mechanic and maybe try changing spark plugs and see if he notices anything. If the weather is good then I will try cleaning the throttle body, last time I cleaned it was around 50k miles. Any ideas? an idea. Thanks.
If it were me I would not start replacing random parts. All you are going to do is mask the root cause of the problem.
If the vehicle did not stall prior to the transmission work, replacing parts is not going to fix the problem.

Have you consulted the FSM?
Did Lee Myles follow the FSM?
93k miles seems to me to be premature for a transmission failure.
Did you ever check with a dealer for warranty coverage and vehicle history?
Was your vehicle ever in a flood?

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G37/Sedan/2011/TM.pdf

See page TM-150

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G37/Sedan/2011/GI.pdf

See page GI-43

Just my $.02

Good luck

Telcoman

Old 02-24-2016, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by telcoman
How did their price compare to an Infiniti dealer?

Dealer wanted $7k to &8k for a rebuild and would only give 1 year warranty. These guys did it around $4600 plus tax with 3 year warranty.

Why not get a second opinion at a dealer?
If Lee Myles screwed up you can contact your credit card and request a charge back.

Thats what I am trying to do is find out without replacing anything. I can take it to the dealer and ask them to diagnose it. Its just such a rare thing to reproduce but maybe they have an idea. I have no problems doing chargeback but I want to give them the opportunity to fix it, if they refuse or cannot then its onto the chargeback.

If it were me I would not start replacing random parts. All you are going to do is mask the root cause of the problem.
If the vehicle did not stall prior to the transmission work, replacing parts is not going to fix the problem.
Agreed, really do not want to go that route but just wanted to get somewhere so that I can point them in that direction. Car is always fine when its there since its warm. I am thinking there is an air leak or something.

Have you consulted the FSM? No I have not.
Did Lee Myles follow the FSM? I am assuming so, car is fine otherwise.
93k miles seems to me to be premature for a transmission failure.
Did you ever check with a dealer for warranty coverage and vehicle history? Car out of warranty and I have owned it since brand new. I had a check engine light which showed brake solenoid sensor was bad, car would not drive. They said the transmission valve body was damaged and the tourque converter was leaking fluid so needed to be replaced.
Was your vehicle ever in a flood? No

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G37/Sedan/2011/TM.pdf

See page TM-150

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G37/Sedan/2011/GI.pdf

See page GI-43

Just my $.02

Good luck

Telcoman
Answered above. Thanks for suggestions

Last edited by Jiggs1219; 02-24-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:59 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Maybe the fresh fluid and new torque converter means it is working way more efficiently and stronger than it was before, so now when in R/D there is more drag being placed on the engine and stalling it.

Whereas possibly before the rebuild, there was just about not enough drag to stall the engine. The engine stalling could be due to bad plugs/coils/sensors and now the added drag of the rebuilt transmission and torque converter is enough to stall the engine.

Just a thought

Old 02-24-2016, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by BradMD_96
Maybe the fresh fluid and new torque converter means it is working way more efficiently and stronger than it was before, so now when in R/D there is more drag being placed on the engine and stalling it.

Whereas possibly before the rebuild, there was just about not enough drag to stall the engine. The engine stalling could be due to bad plugs/coils/sensors and now the added drag of the rebuilt transmission and torque converter is enough to stall the engine.

Just a thought
I am going to change the sparkplugs this weekend and I will ask my local mechanic to check the coils as well. I do notice a slight hiss when I start the car everytime, goes away after 10 to 15 seconds so not sure if this is related.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:44 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
I am going to change the sparkplugs this weekend and I will ask my local mechanic to check the coils as well. I do notice a slight hiss when I start the car everytime, goes away after 10 to 15 seconds so not sure if this is related.
I'd say that you need to leave the car overnight for them so that they can operate the car under the same conditions where you see it fail (assuming the temps are the same as where you are). No matter where you take it, if the conditions that make it occur aren't there, you likely not going to get very far with the troubleshooting. At least the folks at Lee Myles will likely troubleshoot and fix it for free if they caused it.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
I'd say that you need to leave the car overnight for them so that they can operate the car under the same conditions where you see it fail (assuming the temps are the same as where you are). No matter where you take it, if the conditions that make it occur aren't there, you likely not going to get very far with the troubleshooting. At least the folks at Lee Myles will likely troubleshoot and fix it for free if they caused it.
Did that once and they couldn't reproduce. Today it happened again and the temp is around 50 with rain. So maybe it's not so much related to cold weather. Maybe moisture or something. I'm calling lee Myles again today and letting them know to see what they say.

Last edited by Jiggs1219; 02-25-2016 at 08:44 AM.