G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Should i buy an aftermarket warranty with my 08 G35xS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should i buy an aftermarket warranty with my 08 G35xS?

Hello everyone,

I'll be purchasing an 08 G35xS tomorrow. My credit union is offering me an aftermarket warranty for an extra 3 years or 36000 miles for $1200. Covers engine, trans(including transfer case), steering components, front suspension, brakes, electrical, a/c,.

obviously doesn't cover normal maintenance and wear and tear items.

Is it worth it?

Car has 75k miles on it. I'm paying $12,500 for it.

car pulled fined when i test drove it. trans and engine seemed to be healthy.

please advise

Old 04-05-2016, 07:14 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
I think i would

Old 04-05-2016, 07:54 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Welcome to the G35 Forums!

Not a bad idea with your mileage. If you decide to only buy a Nissan warranty, all others tend to be a scam! They'll find any excuse NOT to cover whatever it is you need fixed! Cost at Nissan w/b about the same as Credit Union I believe!
Gary

Old 04-05-2016, 10:26 PM
Received 350 Likes on 301 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
I bought my Infiniti Elite warranty at 74.5K and it has covered work worth 2x+ what I paid. 4 years, 48K miles. I just considered it part of the purchase price so I never played that worrisome game of "should I buy insurance? will I lose money on the deal?" I still have a tad more than 11 months to go; won't make the mileage...I'm at 97K now. 2006x AWD sedan.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:59 PM
its an aftermarket warranty called Members Choice provided by the credit union.

i think im gonna do it

Old 04-06-2016, 04:54 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by bryan11
its an aftermarket warranty called Members Choice provided by the credit union.

i think im gonna do it
BEFORE YOU SIGN, ask for an actual copy of the contract with the full legal wording of what is included and what is excluded from coverage, AND THEN TAKE THE TIME TO READ IT!

For comparison sake, you can then look up the Infiniti Elite warranty coverage (the best) to see how it compares. (It has been posted on the forum numerous times before)

If after reading and comparing it, you still think it's a deal, then go for it.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
BEFORE YOU SIGN, ask for an actual copy of the contract with the full legal wording of what is included and what is excluded from coverage, AND THEN TAKE THE TIME TO READ IT!

For comparison sake, you can then look up the Infiniti Elite warranty coverage (the best) to see how it compares. (It has been posted on the forum numerous times before)

If after reading and comparing it, you still think it's a deal, then go for it.
most definitely. i have 90 days to cancel too. i looked into the infiniti elite warranty coverage but the website says im not elegible due to being over 70k miles.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by bryan11
Hello everyone,
I'll be purchasing an 08 G35xS tomorrow. My credit union is offering me an aftermarket warranty for an extra 3 years or 36000 miles for $1200. Covers engine, trans(including transfer case), steering components, front suspension, brakes, electrical, a/c,.Is it worth it?
Car has 75k miles on it. I'm paying $12,500 for it. car pulled fined when i test drove it. trans and engine seemed to be healthy.
please advise
This advice may be too late, but...spend the $$ to have Infiniti or Nissan dealerships check out your car making sure everything is in working order. That's more important than a warranty that may or may not be worth the paper it's written on!
Gary

Old 04-06-2016, 10:23 PM
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
In short, yes its worth it.

It might be running good now, but in a few thousand miles you never know what will break. $100/month is not bad considering if something breaks and you have to take it to a shop/dealer, it can cost you anywhere from $500-1000 easily.

Read exactly what is covered with the warranty. You said brakes, suspension, and electrical is included. Check if it covers the normal wear of bushings, control arms, calipers, rotors, seat/window motors etc.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:54 AM
I've delayed the process with the seller so i haven't signed anything yet.

I'm thinking of setting up a PPI with an Infiniti Dealer today

This is whats covered under the warranty they offered. please review

Name:  SCl1oqD.png
Views: 7
Size:  458.7 KB

Last edited by bryan11; 04-07-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:51 AM
It doesn't matter what's written on the warranty, basically it's everything but the normal wear items...tires & brakes. A friend owns a shop, they're basically GM but work on all makes and models. Customer brings in this Ford 4X4 truck with a blown engine, he'd upgraded to larger tires/wheels, they disallowed the claim! If you do anything to alter the car you're intending to buy that's the excuse they'll have to make the warranty is null and void! This is the reason I consider after market warranties a scam...Gary

Old 04-07-2016, 04:23 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Be weary of third party warranties, they are all nice nice until something breaks and then find the smallest thing to deny your claim.
The only warranty I would get is an Infiniti Elite warranty, since you are over the mileage perhaps looks for another car that is under the max mileage in order to get the infiniti one.

What happens with third party warranties sometimes is this - 6 months from now your car breaks down, your mechanic says you need a new alternator. Great! you say, I'll call the warranty company. You call them up and they say no problem you are 100% covered! Pay for it and send us the bill.

You get the work done, and mail them the bill, you don't hear anything from them for many weeks. Finally they respond and say something like "After further investigation it appears that you had an aftermarket battery installed which most likely led to your alternator failure, we will not honor this warranty"

And now you are stuck.

If you really have your heart set on this car, fine, but if I were you I would put the $1200 in savings and have a "repair fund" saved up for future repairs. You might be better off. Finance companies and banks make huge money off selling warranties.

Read the fine print!!

Old 04-07-2016, 04:48 PM
Received 350 Likes on 301 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
That 70k mile max for the Infiniti Elite warranty doesn't sound right unless they changed the program in the three years since I got mine. I was able to get 48 months 48k miles at 74k miles on the car when I bought it. There is a sliding scale based on age, mileage, whether it is still under mfr warranty, if it was from a dealer, and/or had complete maintenance records; possibly requiring inspection before authorization. You could also buy less than the max if you wanted. I'd check further into whether the elite warranty option really is off the table. Also, you can get elite warranty online at steep discount. Search forum for threads that identity the sellers. I think Scottsdale Infiniti is one of them. The dealer I got the car from price-matched the online offer so I bought from the local dealer.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:08 AM
you still think it's a deal, then go for it.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:54 PM
I would too!

I never purchase extended warranties, not on cars or TV's, etc, but after the Infiniti original warranty went off I decided to purchased an extended Infiniti warranty. It paid off, a year after I had $2400.00 worth of work. I on;y paid my deductible of $50.00, this using the dealer to do the work.

I bought the best Infiniti warranty, (OEM extended warranty) and it cost me $1100.00 for 3 years or 80K miles whichever come first.

It pays to shop around, my local Infiniti delaer wanted $3400.00 for it, I bought it on line from Scottsdale Infiniti for $1100.00.

Good Luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should i buy an aftermarket warranty with my 08 G35xS?