G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

question about clutch master cylinder cap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 11:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
question about clutch master cylinder cap

so probably a dumb issue on my part, but while trouble shooting another issue, I noticed my clutch reservoir fluid was low. I added fluid and replaced the cap. Checked it again yesterday, and the cap was off!

As I went to put it on again, the tabs bent. Now I'm wondering if I need a new cap.

Is the cap just supposed to press on and stay or is it a twist to lock? again... dumb question, but...

and is this part the right one?
http://www.infinitipartsdeal.com/par...;4=SPORT;5=6MT)

Appears to be correct, but hard to validate. g35S 2007

Old 07-25-2016, 11:48 AM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by dookie
so probably a dumb issue on my part, but while trouble shooting another issue, I noticed my clutch reservoir fluid was low. I added fluid and replaced the cap. Checked it again yesterday, and the cap was off!

As I went to put it on again, the tabs bent. Now I'm wondering if I need a new cap.

Is the cap just supposed to press on and stay or is it a twist to lock? again... dumb question, but...

and is this part the right one?
http://www.infinitipartsdeal.com/par...;4=SPORT;5=6MT)

Appears to be correct, but hard to validate. g35S 2007
your link is dead.

Last edited by vqsmile; 07-25-2016 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Edited for misinformation
Old 07-25-2016, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
It's a twist lock, and your link is dead.
mine would not twist and lock

As for the link, I just copied and pasted the link from the email alert and it worked?

try this:
http://www.infinitipartsdeal.com/par...020-3s501.html

the link indicates that the part fits 07 VQ35HR.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:06 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
You know, I will take that back actually. I just went out and looked again and the cap has tabs, but they do not engage when you twist it, so it is essentially just sealed by its O-ring as you push it down.

The clutch master I have now is not the original though. It was replaced (with current Infiniti replacement parts) along with the slave cylinder under warranty. I thought I remembered twisting it on in the past, so it could be that there was a design change in replacement parts.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
You know, I will take that back actually. I just went out and looked again and the cap has tabs, but they do not engage when you twist it, so it is essentially just sealed by its O-ring as you push it down.

The clutch master I have now is not the original though. It was replaced (with current Infiniti replacement parts) along with the slave cylinder under warranty. I thought I remembered twisting it on in the past, so it could be that there was a design change in replacement parts.
that's cool. i guess I'll just keep an eye on it and make sure it stays on this time

maybe i just didn't push it down far enough...

Old 07-25-2016, 02:36 PM
btw, I just ordered a new cap since mine won't stay on.

this all started because I had the fun "slip, vdc off, and ABS lights all on" issue. I was low on brake fluid and clutch fluid, but brakes/rotors were good, brake lights all worked, and no wiring damage to the wheel sensors.

I topped the fluid off in the brake reservoir and the lights went away for about 20 miles, then came back on. I then added fluid to the clutch reservoir, which fixed the problem for about 35 miles. I think the clutch reservoir cap came back off and may have triggered the lights again.

yesterday, I found it off, clamped it down temporarily, reset the ECU and pulled power to the battery for about an hour. Also tapped the wheel sensors (per other recommendations) and cleaned everything off. Just drove about 30 miles, so far no lights.

hopefully it was just the low fluid and then the cap coming back off, although I'd be a bit surprised if the clutch fluid being low/cap off would cause the same three lights to come on...