G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Radiator Crack!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeysm
Don't go with the Prestone most Asian vehicles require silicate free coolant. I would either go with OEM or buy Zerex for Asian vehicles made by Valvoline.
I thought you couldn't mix green and red coolant together? I've been using Prestone (green) for quite a while (label doesn't state silicate is an ingredient) but would like to switch over to at some point to Zerex because it's made for Asian vehicles. But i've heard going from green to red isn't recommended because it would mean I would have to REALLY flush the system well because green coolant mixing with red coolant would react and create a thick gel.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:45 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,458 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Flush twice with distilled water and you will be fine. I've done it a few times when people accidently put the wrong coolant in and never had an issue.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:42 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Yes, old green would create sludge, but it was the additives that interact not the color. If you Google Humble Mechanic and coolant he has a guy from Pentosin explain it.

Basically, colors don't mean much anymore you need to know what's in the coolant and your car requires. I use OEM or stick Zerex in if I need to top off, since they are both silicate free. I think Nissan switched to a blue coolant now also.

You can flush it with water ir if you have air push it threw the system on a low psi.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:18 PM
How difficult of a job would you rate this?, recently found out I have a pretty bad radiator leak... Would definitely have to got the DIY route on my 08 35x since I know this will cost a bit of money in a shop (due to this rad/cond combo) .

Old 10-17-2017, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by GflightMC
How difficult of a job would you rate this?, recently found out I have a pretty bad radiator leak... Would definitely have to got the DIY route on my 08 35x since I know this will cost a bit of money in a shop (due to this rad/cond combo) .

How experienced are you with car work? It's all pretty straightforward stuff, i'd be more than happy to give any tips or answer questions!

There is quite a lot of screws and such that need to come out, I really recommend staying organized and using labeled baggies for screws, tape for larger parts, etc. You really don't want to end up with a pile of screws and end up having to spend a day trying to figure out what screw is for what.

Overall, it was an incredibly rewarding job. My vehicle's value has plummeted from her miles so I knew if I couldn't get the radiator fixed, she would become junk. I get a little grin on my face when I drive it because I know if I didn't put in the work with my two hands, I wouldn't be sitting behind the wheel of this car.

Let me know if you decide to go through with the DIY! Very cool experience IMO.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:41 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I would definitely rate this job on the "easy" side of the scale since you won't be doing the purge or refill of the AC system, take it to an AC shop for the purge/refill. Leave your AC off while driving so it's not dry starting the compressor (it will automatically turn off when the low pressure switch doesn't close but still cycles for about 1 second).

"Basic non-skills"
-replace battery
-change oil
-change spark plugs
-change air filter

"Easy"
-replace radiator, thermostat
-replace intake gaskets
-wire up a stereo
-change a flat tire on the highway with traffic
-replace brakes and rotors

"Moderate"
-replace timing chain
-swap motors
-replace all suspension bushings and struts

"Hard"
-rebuild engine
-change final drive gears
-body work

"Extreme"
-rebuild automatic transmissions
-custom fab suspension/engine components
-balance coffee cup in the center cup holder of a 6MT while cornering

This should give you an idea of how I rank various things.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
I would definitely rate this job on the "easy" side of the scale since you won't be doing the purge or refill of the AC system, take it to an AC shop for the purge/refill. Leave your AC off while driving so it's not dry starting the compressor (it will automatically turn off when the low pressure switch doesn't close but still cycles for about 1 second).

"Basic non-skills"
-replace battery
-change oil
-change spark plugs
-change air filter

"Easy"
-replace radiator, thermostat
-replace intake gaskets
-wire up a stereo
-change a flat tire on the highway with traffic
-replace brakes and rotors

"Moderate"
-replace timing chain
-swap motors
-replace all suspension bushings and struts

"Hard"
-rebuild engine
-change final drive gears
-body work

"Extreme"
-rebuild automatic transmissions
-custom fab suspension/engine components
-balance coffee cup in the center cup holder of a 6MT while cornering

This should give you an idea of how I rank various things.
You forgot "Changing a xenon infiniti headlight" in the extreme section.

Jokes, good scale tho!

Old 10-17-2017, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Lol. I just pull the bumper. It’s easier that way. Original and funny, thanks bud.

Op good luck changing out your rad with one like mishimoto or the like!

Old 10-26-2017, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by Bmurphy380
How experienced are you with car work? It's all pretty straightforward stuff, i'd be more than happy to give any tips or answer questions!

There is quite a lot of screws and such that need to come out, I really recommend staying organized and using labeled baggies for screws, tape for larger parts, etc. You really don't want to end up with a pile of screws and end up having to spend a day trying to figure out what screw is for what.

Overall, it was an incredibly rewarding job. My vehicle's value has plummeted from her miles so I knew if I couldn't get the radiator fixed, she would become junk. I get a little grin on my face when I drive it because I know if I didn't put in the work with my two hands, I wouldn't be sitting behind the wheel of this car.

Let me know if you decide to go through with the DIY! Very cool experience IMO.

I am considering it!, just looking for a decent replacement one first, I'm good with my hands I haven't had to do a rad change on any of the cars I've owned... I have done a bit of mechanical work but that was on motorcycles. As long as I can get my hand on a service manual and stop on in the forums with any questions I'm confident I can get it done.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:13 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Well... here's the service manual!

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/inf...e-manuals.html

Everything starts at the FWD pdf file.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.