G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Should I buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 02:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Should I buy?

Looking at a 2008 G35 Sedan with 68K miles. Drives great and engine sounds good. The dash is cracked badly, on top and around the radio and a/c vents. My concerns besides the dash are 1) needed a jump to test drive. makes me think there might be a parasitic battery drain somewhere. 2) Is it consuming oil? Would a pre-purchase inspection reveal the last two concerns? The dash I am trying to negotiate into the price. What would be a decent price? This is a trade-in at a Ford dealership.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:04 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
A link to the vehicle ad would help, you likely wouldn't be able to check for oil consumption from a pre purchase inspection but the VQ35HR doesn't have the same history of OC that the VQ35DE does so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The following users liked this post:
sonors (01-27-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 09:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sonors
Looking at a 2008 G35 Sedan with 68K miles. Drives great and engine sounds good. The dash is cracked badly, on top and around the radio and a/c vents. My concerns besides the dash are 1) needed a jump to test drive. makes me think there might be a parasitic battery drain somewhere. 2) Is it consuming oil? Would a pre-purchase inspection reveal the last two concerns? The dash I am trying to negotiate into the price. What would be a decent price? This is a trade-in at a Ford dealership.
Regarding the dash issue, my '07 has some hairline cracks in it as well. This seems to be an issue primarily on 07-08's and less so on newer models

1) I used to work on a car lot, it's not uncommon for cars to sit idle long enough for their batteries to die. You could negotiate a new battery into the deal pretty easily, I'm sure.

2) I agree regarding the oil consumption - not an issue with the HR's like it was with the DE's. Mine has ~150k now & doesn't burn a drop, and she's no stranger to the upper reaches of the tachometer

3) Be aggressive, yet informed when you offer a price. Look what other similar cars are selling/have sold for, & use that to determine a fair price. I doubt they even have one listed because they will try to squeeze as much as they can out of you.

That aside, good luck! I love my 07

sonors (01-27-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by ckl550
Regarding the dash issue, my '07 has some hairline cracks in it as well. This seems to be an issue primarily on 07-08's and less so on newer models

1) I used to work on a car lot, it's not uncommon for cars to sit idle long enough for their batteries to die. You could negotiate a new battery into the deal pretty easily, I'm sure.

2) I agree regarding the oil consumption - not an issue with the HR's like it was with the DE's. Mine has ~150k now & doesn't burn a drop, and she's no stranger to the upper reaches of the tachometer

3) Be aggressive, yet informed when you offer a price. Look what other similar cars are selling/have sold for, & use that to determine a fair price. I doubt they even have one listed because they will try to squeeze as much as they can out of you.

That aside, good luck! I love my 07
They listed it for 12,400. I got it down to 10,300 without even looking at it. It was a bit of a haul to go see it so I wanted to make sure we were in the same ballpark price wise before making the trip. When I went to see it I saw the dash and changed my offer. That's when we hit an impasse. My research says the trade on this is around 8500 in clean condition. The dash fix is $$$ so I dropped my offer.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:00 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Ya, that's to bad on the dash,,, heck that's hardly any miles!! I only have 58,000 on mine!

Old 01-29-2018, 11:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They listed it for 12,400. I got it down to 10,300 without even looking at it. It was a bit of a haul to go see it so I wanted to make sure we were in the same ballpark price wise before making the trip. When I went to see it I saw the dash and changed my offer. That's when we hit an impasse. My research says the trade on this is around 8500 in clean condition. The dash fix is $$$ so I dropped my offer.
I don't blame you. If they dropped it over $2k before you even saw it, I'd suspect they've been sitting on it for a while. Also, you KNOW they paid at or less than that trade value, so their margin was still pretty high. I'm sure you can find another

Old 01-29-2018, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by ckl550
I don't blame you. If they dropped it over $2k before you even saw it, I'd suspect they've been sitting on it for a while. Also, you KNOW they paid at or less than that trade value, so their margin was still pretty high. I'm sure you can find another
They've had it at least 2 months. I've given them my max offer. The trade value is my best guess based on NADA, Edmunds and KBB. They vary so I sort of averaged them out. Waiting to hear from them. Or not. It's in their court now.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:17 PM
Did it! Finally agreed on a price and had the PPI done. The Nissan(no Infiniti nearby) mechanic told the service adviser that if I didn't buy it he would be interested. Only thing they found was the battery was bad. Got them to put in a new battery and the deal was done. Only downside is they did not detail it. I spent 9 hours over 2 days on the exterior. Came out nice. Tomorrow the dash gets fixed. One question. Only one of the FOBs works. Could this be because they replaced the battery in the car? I read somewhere that if you disconnect the battery then the FOBs must be in the car when the new battery is hooked up. Can anyone verify this? I did replace the battery in the FOB.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:22 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Sometimes fobs just die on their own, the reprogramming for the fob if it's a STANDARD FOB and not the intelligent key (push button start) is really easy though. Autozone carries replacement Nissan fobs that look EXACTLY identical to the OEM ones. The only difference is the fine print on the back is in english instead of japanese.

https://www.autotalk.com/infiniti-g3...ructions-2178/

Might take you a couple times, or a few times lol... one mistake and you have to start over.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Sometimes fobs just die on their own, the reprogramming for the fob if it's a STANDARD FOB and not the intelligent key (push button start) is really easy though. Autozone carries replacement Nissan fobs that look EXACTLY identical to the OEM ones. The only difference is the fine print on the back is in english instead of japanese.

https://www.autotalk.com/infiniti-g3...ructions-2178/

Might take you a couple times, or a few times lol... one mistake and you have to start over.
It's push button start. Is the battery disconnect to re-program for real?

Old 02-04-2018, 08:24 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Intelligent key fobs need to be reprogrammed by the dealership. Your transponder probably failed in the other fob and you will need to buy a replacement likely.

It's also possible (unlikely since one fob still works) that your BCM is failing.

Start by replacing the battery in the fob though, might be something as simple as that.

Disconnecting the vehicle battery has NOTHING to do with the EPROM in the BCM which stores transponder key data.

EDIT: It's not the key fob that gets programmed, it's the vehicle BCM that gets reprogrammed to accept the transponder from the intelligent fob.

sonors (02-04-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 09:15 PM
Thanks for your expertise. BTW, your avatar is awesome!

Old 02-04-2018, 09:37 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Hah, there's a story about it, I took those pics about 12 years ago when my son was a baby. There's a few of them and I've actually seen them around the internet over the years My grandma bought those army guys for my son but he was obviously WAY too small to be playing with toys like that. When I went to put them in the car there was a dead squirrel next to our Camry so I used the brand new camera my father-in-law bought us as a baby present and did a few poses with the squirrel, some more inappropriate than others...

My wife was PISSED and made me throw the toys away because she thought they were irrevocably contaminated with dead squirrel.

Yes this was back when I smoked pot and I was definitely a little stoned at the time of those pics, I've used that one as my avatar for everything since that day.

Triton3.5 (02-05-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 10:14 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Never understood the point of throwing numbers around over email and negotiating price before even seeing the car. You are basically making a virtual keyboard offer on nothing without knowing the condition or driving it.

imo talking price should be the very last step when buying or selling a vehicle, not the first one.

and yes im currently selling my old civic all these kids throwing fake low ball email offers with no intention of following through is getting on my nerves!

Old 02-04-2018, 10:43 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
If you're talking about dealerships like how I bought my G35 then you basically know exactly what you're getting before going to see the vehicle. I had them take it to the Infiniti dealership in Olympia to do a complete inspection including compression test and road test, Infiniti sent me an email with all the details pertaining to the vehicle, I then haggled a price with the Ford dealership that owned the G35 for a price that we both agreed upon and then drove across the state to pick up my vehicle pending my OWN drive test and inspection.

Pretty painless honestly and it only cost me $250 for the full vehicle inspection and saved me an 8 hour round trip.

However I was INCREDIBLY picky about what I was looking for, '06-'07 coupe 6MT, premium package, RAS, full maintenance history, under 100k, black, didn't care about navigation. It took me almost 2 years to actually find one that passed all the tests and that was looking in the entire state of Washington, half of Oregon and half of Idaho.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I buy?