G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

2008 G35 Interior Door Trim Replacement/Fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 G35 Interior Door Trim Replacement/Fix

Love the forum and appreciate all the great posts. This will be my first post here.

My g35 interior door trim looks atrocious from tons of little scratches. I would like to repair or replace this part but am unsure exactly where to start. I figure I could take the part out and sand it down then repaint. Or perhaps just order the part from infiniti. Can you guys point me in the right direction on how to pop that piece out? To be specific, its the soft rubber (or some material) that is on the inside door that change can be stowed in and has all the lock buttons and window buttons.

Appreciate the help in advance. Looking forward to getting this cleaned up.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same issue. Haven't fixed it yet but my research has me planning on re-painting the pieces. They are called "switch bezels". New ones will cost over $50 each so painting is the way to go. Dupli-color makes a paint for vinyl and fabric that is said to work well. Basically you remove the pieces, sand off all of the old paint and then apply the paint in several LIGHT coats. Not sure yet how to remove the pieces but more than likely they're just held in with clips and can be gently pried off. Wish I could be of more help.

The following users liked this post:
g35_toQ (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 05:11 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
You might check ebay, if you can find a seller that has good high res photos the door panel assembly goes for around $100

g35_toQ (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the help fellas. I am going to check ebay for this. I have read numerous threads regarding this problematic issue. Makes me wish I would have taken care of this back in 2010 when my wife got the car. It's in damn good shape otherwise. I read that Infiniti stopped making these soft panels and replaced them with a shiny plastic piece. I am going to search door assembly on eBay to see if I can replace them.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:11 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
If you can't find a good replacement check with local body shops to see who they recommend for interior upholstry, those guys will usually have materials that match well and can replace your worn vinyl for a fair price.

g35_toQ (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 09:51 PM
Great, that sounds like a plan. I am tempted just to go to Infiniti right by the house to see if they have the part or can at least order it. I don't mind dropping $100 on it. If it is much more than that, I might just bail on it and leave it be. But not going to lie, it looks atrocious.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:08 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The dealership price on the complete door panel is like $600-$700. I don't THINK the vinyl is a separate item.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:55 PM
Ended up taking the pieces out and sanding the **** out of them with some 120 grit. Sprayed on a couple coats of plasti-dip and called it a day. They look incredible but the question will be how durable they are. I am needing to get a couple of years out of the vehicle so as long as that is accomplished, I will be happy.

In other news, the battery is dead again and I think there is a current drain problem. 2nd dead battery in 2 months.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by g35_toQ
Ended up taking the pieces out and sanding the **** out of them with some 120 grit. Sprayed on a couple coats of plasti-dip and called it a day. They look incredible but the question will be how durable they are. I am needing to get a couple of years out of the vehicle so as long as that is accomplished, I will be happy.

In other news, the battery is dead again and I think there is a current drain problem. 2nd dead battery in 2 months.
mind sharing how you got them out? total door panel removal?

My fronts were replaced under warranty awhile ago.

rears need attention now.

FYI, the steering wheel trim also gets scratched easily. you can now buy just the trim for cheap and replace it easily (have to remove airbag though, be careful). They improved the '08's coating, so get the '08 trim. there's threads on here about it I think.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:30 PM
I took some pics but really don't know how to upload them. I don't think it would be too beneficial other than showing how good it looks.

Anyhow, to your questions.

1. I used a small flathead screwdriver from a PC repair kit i had. I basically started at the back of the bezel and softly pried as best I could. The part pretty much just snapped out. There was no need to take the entire panel off. Driver side was a bit tougher to remove than passenger.

2. Yes the steering wheel is pretty scratched up but I am choosing to deal with it since I will only have the car another 2 years max. It's not horrible like the doors were. The doors were abysmal. Thanks for the tip though.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:32 PM
Also, thanks to this awesome community, I was able to fix the battery drain. It was the 6 disc changer in the back that was running while the car was off. We don't even use it. I disconnected the part and voila, the battery came to life and the car is running fine.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by g35_toQ
I took some pics but really don't know how to upload them. I don't think it would be too beneficial other than showing how good it looks.

Anyhow, to your questions.

1. I used a small flathead screwdriver from a PC repair kit i had. I basically started at the back of the bezel and softly pried as best I could. The part pretty much just snapped out. There was no need to take the entire panel off. Driver side was a bit tougher to remove than passenger.

2. Yes the steering wheel is pretty scratched up but I am choosing to deal with it since I will only have the car another 2 years max. It's not horrible like the doors were. The doors were abysmal. Thanks for the tip though.

cool thanks. I have some trim removal tools, just wanted to make sure I could do it without removing the panel.

the steering wheel trim is about a 45 minute job and the part was like, $20 or something. just gotta make sure you disconnect battery, pull Airbag fuses, and mark the steering wheel position exactly when you remove. Oh, and don't have your face in front of the AB when disconnecting/reconnecting it

g35_toQ (02-24-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 04:46 PM
I repainted

Old 02-28-2018, 07:31 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks great (repainting). I plastidipped mine door/steering trims a while ago (as in 2 years) and have to touch it up regularly as it shows scratches again - despite being careful not to. It's temporary - best solution is to get the scratch-proof '08 trim pieces and replace.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Frg35x
I repainted
Looks great! What brand of paint did you use?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2008 G35 Interior Door Trim Replacement/Fix